• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (5 Viewers)

I haven't seen anything on here (unless I'm being terminally stupid 3:) ) but I take it you all know about the Waxwings at Blyth Asda?

I haven't seen anything on here (unless I'm being terminally stupid 3:) ) but I take it you all know about the Waxwings at Blyth Asda?

I read it on the NTBC Sightings Page but haven't had a chance to get down that way yet. Popping down to Whitley Bay tomorrow so have already informed Neil we are going the Scenic Route via Blyth ;)

Couple of hours at East Chevington & Cresswell today. Rather quiet at the latter but female Smew on North Pool at ast Chev as well as three Short-eared Owl and a just-moulting Great Crested Grebe - thanks to Martin for id'ing that one for me: I was about 99% sure it WAS a GCG but that odd plumage threw me a bit....especially as I'd had two in full breeding plumage at the QE2 Lake a few days previous: didn't realise there would be birds still around NOT in full plumage yet. You live and learn, eh :king:

Hi,

Are the Waxwings been seen daily at Asda?

Chris

Yes, though they are moving around and have also been at the entrance to the school 300m north of the 'Asda' roundabout and also on the nearby Industrial Estate by Draeger on at least one occasion I was reliably informed.

Yes, though they are moving around and have also been at the entrance to the school 300m north of the 'Asda' roundabout and also on the nearby Industrial Estate by Draeger on at least one occasion I was reliably informed.

Thanks for that. I'm in Northumberland on Sunday so I might have a look around for them.

I had a quick look for the waxwings yesterday around 9:30, but only had 15 minutes, and didn't pick them up. I walked up from the school gates to the big roundabout and around to the Asda roundabout and back with no luck. But I'm not the most reliable of spotters.... :)

GG Shrike at Prestwick Carr

I'm within a mile of PC, Gill, but have still not seen the GGS or the SEOs!
The access is difficult for me, impossible for my husband.

Where did you park and where were you when you saw the GGS?
PM me if you prefer....................

Here is a pic from our trip out yesterday - taken through the tinted windscreen - just west of Langdon Beck in Teesdale. It was ! It's a beautiful area!

Great Grey Shrike still at Prestwick Carr :t:

Attachments

• SEO_220312_41_BF.jpg
    SEO_220312_41_BF.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Where did you park and where were you when you saw the GGS?

Seen the shrike again today at 4.35pm :t:

I park at the Dinnington end as the track IS far too lethal for my corsa :eek!: Then walked up to where the goats are. I saw the shrike today in the field OPPOSITE the goat field, not the one behind it (with the exmoor ponies in it).

Thanks Gill. How far is it to where the goats are? A ruptured Achilles tendon put paid to any long-distance or rough walking, but if it's not too far, I could attempt it.
I first saw a GGS in the Auvergne, sitting on the fence of a wild flower meadow. Magical!

I'm sending you a PM about another matter.............

Seen the shrike again today at 4.35pm :t:

I park at the Dinnington end as the track IS far too lethal for my corsa :eek!: Then walked up to where the goats are. I saw the shrike today in the field OPPOSITE the goat field, not the one behind it (with the exmoor ponies in it).

June you can actually drive right up to the goat compound. If you are coming from Ponteland take the left turn just past Banktop garage in Prestwick Village then at the crossroads turn right. You can park here and walk 100m or so to the goats. You can also view the field where Shrike is being seen from the crossroads.

Blyth? scenic? ;)

Happy to help with the grebe Gill, and thanks for the Smew:t:

cheers
martin

I read it on the NTBC Sightings Page but haven't had a chance to get down that way yet. Popping down to Whitley Bay tomorrow so have already informed Neil we are going the Scenic Route via Blyth ;)

Couple of hours at East Chevington & Cresswell today. Rather quiet at the latter but female Smew on North Pool at ast Chev as well as three Short-eared Owl and a just-moulting Great Crested Grebe - thanks to Martin for id'ing that one for me: I was about 99% sure it WAS a GCG but that odd plumage threw me a bit....especially as I'd had two in full breeding plumage at the QE2 Lake a few days previous: didn't realise there would be birds still around NOT in full plumage yet. You live and learn, eh :king:

June you can actually drive right up to the goat compound. If you are coming from Ponteland take the left turn just past Banktop garage in Prestwick Village then at the crossroads turn right. You can park here and walk 100m or so to the goats. You can also view the field where Shrike is being seen from the crossroads.

:-O I obviously parked at the WRONG end which involved a lot of legwork....oh well, I need to lose a few lbs :king:

It was just by sheer chance I found the shrike - after doing a full 8hr shift in the morning and then walking along to the goats my feet were aching so I decided to rest a while and lean on the gate (approx 50yds or so from goats) and 'lazily' scope the field behind the goats. Had 8 magpies and a fabulous short-eared owl flying around. After a while I decided to check out the field behind me and whilst doing so noticed something white in a far shrub. Got the scope and it was the shrike o:) I watched him for a while, hoping some other birders would come along so I could put them onto the bird but no, just cyclists & joggers :smoke:

It is....and I enjoyed seeing quite a lot of peacock & small tortoiseshell butterflies :t:

Next time I might spend the whole day there so I can take my time rather than starting off with tired feet in the first place! :-O

Goats, kids and no GGS!

We went at about 4pm today and parked just beyond the goat pen - perhaps by the gate where you were.

I looked in all directions, but apart from a kestrel, there was nothing. A bit disappointing. The GGS is such a magnificent bird; I'd love to see it.
Maybe another day........................

:-O I obviously parked at the WRONG end which involved a lot of legwork....oh well, I need to lose a few lbs :king:

It was just by sheer chance I found the shrike - after doing a full 8hr shift in the morning and then walking along to the goats my feet were aching so I decided to rest a while and lean on the gate (approx 50yds or so from goats) and 'lazily' scope the field behind the goats. Had 8 magpies and a fabulous short-eared owl flying around. After a while I decided to check out the field behind me and whilst doing so noticed something white in a far shrub. Got the scope and it was the shrike o:) I watched him for a while, hoping some other birders would come along so I could put them onto the bird but no, just cyclists & joggers :smoke:

We went at about 4pm today and parked just beyond the goat pen - perhaps by the gate where you were.

I looked in all directions, but apart from a kestrel, there was nothing. A bit disappointing. The GGS is such a magnificent bird; I'd love to see it.
Maybe another day........................

June

This will be hard for you to swallow but I was at Prestwick Carr from 2.30 to 3.30 yesterday and the Shrike was always on show. However, you would have needed to have walked [or driven if that's allowed?] towards the sentry box from the crossroads. So, if you turned right at the crossroads in your car and the goat pens were on your right, the Shrike was in the field on your left but too far from the track you were parked on for you to see it.

Elusive Great Grey Shrike

Ouch!! Glad you saw it.
I did scan those fields during the half hour we were there, but, as you say, it would be too far away.
When you mention the sentry box, is it up the lane past Mayfair House, the one which says Unsuitable for vehicles or similar?

I first saw a GGS in the Auvergne, France. It was sitting on a fence in a flower-filled meadow. It is a beautiful bird!

Now that petrol problems may be looming, am I justified in going back to Prestwick..................or do we save it for going to see ospreys on Bassenthwaite - a tough decision !

June

This will be hard for you to swallow but I was at Prestwick Carr from 2.30 to 3.30 yesterday and the Shrike was always on show. However, you would have needed to have walked [or driven if that's allowed?] towards the sentry box from the crossroads. So, if you turned right at the crossroads in your car and the goat pens were on your right, the Shrike was in the field on your left but too far from the track you were parked on for you to see it.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back