• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (12 Viewers)

One late species from this weekend, one early:

A single whitethroat seen in the hedgerow along the main road to the north of Bothal Pond on Saturday morning seems very late to me.

And then 40 pink-footed geese flying in off the sea at St Mary's Island, Whitley Bay on Sunday morning was my personal earliest record of the species. Also a peregrine on the tall masts at St Mary's.

Cresswell was dug out on wed or thurs, I was there on fri and water levels had dropped loads and immediately had waders, water rail was showing also, if only we hadn't missed the whole of September wader passage, we might have seen something good. Although im sure the same has been said for the last 10yrs.I only pray the Trust keep their promise about clearing the sluice and maintenance on East Chevington this winter.

Last edited:
Here are a few shots from the last week. The waders were taken at Stag Rock on Sunday and the Shore Lark was taken this morning.

Attachments

• Knot, Bamburgh 2.jpg
    Knot, Bamburgh 2.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Knot, Bamburgh 6.jpg
    Knot, Bamburgh 6.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Turnstone, Bamburgh 1.jpg
    Turnstone, Bamburgh 1.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Shore Lark, Blyth 1.jpg
    Shore Lark, Blyth 1.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Shore Lark, Blyth 3.jpg
    Shore Lark, Blyth 3.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 118
Managed to get to Blyth, and spent an hour near the pier at the South harbour but it was starting to look like the shore lark was another rarity that doesn't work weekends; then a shout from another birder just as I was getting back to my car alerted me to the target bird feeding on the verge just along from the public parking place.

It fed along the edge of the road very unconcerned by the handful of people on the other side of the road or the cars passing occasionally just a foot or two away.

(And very nice to have a second lifer of the week, after a Western Orphean Warbler in Madrid last week :))

Favours the area ringed in red; as often on the road as in the dunes.

Edit: oops, cross-posted! Good you got it!

Attachments

• Blyth.jpg
    Blyth.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 123
Yes, got it! I spent about an hour hanging around the area you highlighted, but no luck, but was fortunate that another eagle-eyed birder spotted it as we walked back to the car. Only had my basic compact camera with me, but at least managed a "record shot"!!

Attachments

• shore_lark.jpg
    shore_lark.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 192
Pair of Mandarin on River Wansbeck, Bothal Woods at lunchtime.

Short eared Owl at St Mary's near wetland area yesterday at dusk. Yellow browed Warbler reported earlier in the day in Willows on North West corner of wetland.

Coming up north tonight and usually do the Gateshead hides but fancy something different. Planning a trip to St Mary's - struggling to map any kind of path to explore though - do I just stick around the light house??? Any help appreciated - especially if someone can draw on a map or something!!!!

Hi mtaylor87. There is a loop you can do from the first car park around the wetland then head out to the lighthouse before heading back along the promenade to the first car park. You can also have a walk North up the coast.

If you have time to head a bit further North, Cresswell pond is worth a look at the minute. I had some nice birds there today including Bearded Tit, Merlin and Kingfisher.

Coming up north tonight and usually do the Gateshead hides but fancy something different. Planning a trip to St Mary's - struggling to map any kind of path to explore though - do I just stick around the light house??? Any help appreciated - especially if someone can draw on a map or something!!!!
Red - main areas of intertidal zone to scan for waders (best around 2-3 hours before high tide)
Green - shrubs to check for migrant passerines
Purple - viewpoints overlooking wetland
Pale blue - scan from seawatching hide (best in NW to NE winds)

Attachments

• 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 142
Up in Berwick having a break in a caravan overlooking the sea, and the small bay right outside, together with the beach a little to the south (along the edge of the golf course) have been alive with waders. 19 Purple sandpiper and a couple of grey plover were the highlights yesterday, while today, there were 35+ ringed plover, 20+ dunlin, a single Sanderling and a black-tailed Godwit

A dull, dark morning to catch an early train today was very much brightened at the sight and sound of a flock of redwing over Morpeth station. A nuthatch calling from nearby was nice to hear, too.

Last edited:
Two BATS seen hawking for insects around trees on edge of Hulne Park this morning as I pottered about on the allotment. Nowt special about that you may say other than the fact it was 11.34am and bright sun!!! :eek!: Not sure on the species but seemed bigger than a Pipistrelle and not flying with their typical flittery figure-of-eight pattern.

Still quite a few Goldcrest around and skeins of Pinkies flying overhead too.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back