• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

Tue 4th March
Norwich 2 Common Cranes SW over Upton Road 10.40am

Is this a coincidence... But there is an Upton Rd in Acle where the two Cranes have been... Did two really fly over Upton Rd in Norwich.. My guess is that they did not and report is for the Acle two?

Is this a coincidence... But there is an Upton Rd in Acle where the two Cranes have been... Did two really fly over Upton Rd in Norwich.. My guess is that they did not and report is for the Acle two?

Seems more likely, given the location of Upton Rd and the general direction I'm sure I would of seen them over the uni!

Seems more likely, given the location of Upton Rd and the general direction I'm sure I would of seen them over the uni!

You would have heard them! I am still waiting for one to go over my garden... Best bet seems to be late summer when birds go on walkabout from the Broads and Fens

I had two Crossbills NE over Costessey pit this morning at 8.45am. While definitely Crossbill species, the calls were definitely deeper than typical Common Crossbill calls and lacked the distinctive high-pitched metallic quality that is so distinctive. While I cannot claim these as anything other than Crossbill sp. as I don't have nearly enough experience of Parrot Crossbill calls (save those from early 90's and the recent Holt birds) nor the inclination to claim such an unusual species on flyover call only, I thought the observation was interesting enough to let others know about.

Apart from that excitement, yesterday's Chiffchaff (the first of the year at the site) seemed to have shut up or moved on yet to be replaced, and about 10 Redwing left roost next to the ski pit.

Interestingly I had 2+ Crossbills over the UEA campus (main square) this morning at about 9.15am but unfortunately they were very high. Nothing at the time to suggest they weren't Common though so I'm guessing different birds.

Several Redwings over in the dark last few nights.

A single Crossbill flew south over the Sainsburys Centre at UEA on Weds afternoon. Sounded like every other Crossbill I've ever heard. Otherwise, a couple of dancing Treecreepers, two singing Chiffchaffs and a flyby Kingfisher made for a nice afternoon.

At least four singing Chiffchaffs at Whitlingham this morning, and the first brood of Egyptian Geese (2 goslings). Still 11 Shoveler and 3 Little Grebes on the Little Broad.

The Patch today

I had a couple of target birds in mind today while visiting the patch- the lingering little egret that's around, possible LRP and a
Willow warbler or two,.but b4 I got to the marshes I had a pair of Peregrines pass over, both displaying. A fantastic sight to see, and at close range too. My 3 rd sighting here for the patch but my first time experience of seeing them in display ! They headed west wards towards the Whitlingham centre
As I got round to the mash scrape I was proved right with my LRP prediction as 2 took off on flew to the shingle on the broad. I never saw then again but wondered if they had just arrived or been here a few days? Earliest arrivals of this species on the patch was in 2012 , when i had a single bird on the 21st march .
Happy birding
Shaky

Buzzard over Waterloo Park at 4pm today. Came in from the west, gained height, and headed off south over the city centre. It can only be a matter of time before I get one from my flat in the city.

I had a couple of target birds in mind today while visiting the patch- the lingering little egret that's around, possible LRP and a
Willow warbler or two,.but b4 I got to the marshes I had a pair of Peregrines pass over, both displaying. A fantastic sight to see, and at close range too. My 3 rd sighting here for the patch but my first time experience of seeing them in display ! They headed west wards towards the Whitlingham centre
As I got round to the mash scrape I was proved right with my LRP prediction as 2 took off on flew to the shingle on the broad. I never saw then again but wondered if they had just arrived or been here a few days? Earliest arrivals of this species on the patch was in 2012 , when i had a single bird on the 21st march .
Happy birding
Shaky

I too am yet to have any success with the Little Egret despite several visits during the last couple of weeks.

No LRP either unfortunately but while standing talking to another birder we did catch a fleeting glimpse of two Green Sandpipers which circled the scrape before heading off in the direction of the broad.

Regards

Paul

Two adult winter Little Gulls arrived at Whitlingham Great Broad from the east at half 12 this afternoon with a flock of c70 Black-headed Gulls. There could well have been more but the flock was very unsettled and the viewing conditions quite tricky.

Otherwise very quiet: Pair of Pochard still on the Great Broad, a single Shoveler on the Little Broad, loads of Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps and a Buzzard over. Walked as far up the river as the viaduct but no Willow/Sedge Warblers to be heard and still no hirundines despite an impressive insect hatch.

Forgive my naivety but where is the scrape you mention Shaky/Paul?

Cheers,

Will

The scrape is the area you view from the cattle compound, marked with a cross on this map (Chris Durdin refers to it as the flood on his website).

Interesting to hear the Willow Warblers aren't back yet, Sedge Warblers are usually second week of April at Whitlingham. Will keep an eye out for Little Gulls this weekend.

Cheers,
James

Two adult winter Little Gulls arrived at Whitlingham Great Broad from the east at half 12 this afternoon with a flock of c70 Black-headed Gulls. There could well have been more but the flock was very unsettled and the viewing conditions quite tricky.

Otherwise very quiet: Pair of Pochard still on the Great Broad, a single Shoveler on the Little Broad, loads of Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps and a Buzzard over. Walked as far up the river as the viaduct but no Willow/Sedge Warblers to be heard and still no hirundines despite an impressive insect hatch.

Forgive my naivety but where is the scrape you mention Shaky/Paul?

Cheers,

Will

Attachments

• Thorpe map.jpg
    Thorpe map.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 74
The scrape is the area you view from the cattle compound, marked with a cross on this map (Chris Durdin refers to it as the flood on his website).

Interesting to hear the Willow Warblers aren't back yet, Sedge Warblers are usually second week of April at Whitlingham. Will keep an eye out for Little Gulls this weekend.

Cheers,
James

I was surprised to still not had heard a willow warbler or a returning blackcap but I'm sure by the end of next week one will have turned up if not both . I'm expecting ur be hitting the patch hard over the next two weeks ?!?!
Happy birding,
shaky

I too am yet to have any success with the Little Egret despite several visits during the last couple of weeks.

No LRP either unfortunately but while standing talking to another birder we did catch a fleeting glimpse of two Green Sandpipers which circled the scrape before heading off in the direction of the broad.

Regards

Paul
Nice to hear ur voice( or should that be post!)
I thought I heard one as I was leaving but couldn't pick it up so glad u got on em. Ill be heading there on Monday after work so will hopefully get me eyes on them if I'm lucky! Hope ur well buddy?!
Happy birding
Shaky

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back