• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (3 Viewers)

Good to hear that. What time was that as it was originally sub-singing at 12 and again at 2-ish and again at 8 as it was getting dark. I wonder if there is any pattern to this or if it's trying to establish a territory.

I was there between 16:00 - 17:00, it was silent for periods of up to ten mins too, sometimes longer. I hope it stays a little while longer.

They have bred for the last few years no too far away, maybe they're the offspring? No reason why they can't breed there

seems to be a nice little spot.

That's the new Three Score housing estate you're looking at on the map. All that green area between Bowthorpe and Costessey is scheduled for housing. Building starts in September. :-(

It was still there at dusk and was pretty active on the slope on the hospital side below the gorse and gave really good views, but I didn't try to get too close.

Dave, can you pass on my thanks to the finder for finding this and getting the news out. A new bird for me and one of my favourites!

Hi

Ring Ouzel was still present at UEA in the same area this evening at 5pm. Also I believe two Nightingales present between West Earlham and Bowthorpe marsh, as I heard two birds singing on opposite sides of the path at the same time.

Cheers

Graham Clarke

http://grahamsphoto.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• RingOuzel5.jpg
    RingOuzel5.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 68
A nightingale was still singing this morning in the West Earlham / Bowthorpe Marsh area, but brief. I had a look for the ring ouzel but didn't see it although from the photos it looks like it might have drifted down onto the playing fields??? There were a couple of common terns on the Broad but the surprise of the morning was a pair of shelduck heading West.

Still no hirundines, gropper, garden warbler or cuckoo in yet...

A nightingale was still singing this morning in the West Earlham / Bowthorpe Marsh area, but brief. I had a look for the ring ouzel but didn't see it although from the photos it looks like it might have drifted down onto the playing fields??? There were a couple of common terns on the Broad but the surprise of the morning was a pair of shelduck heading West.

Still no hirundines, gropper, garden warbler or cuckoo in yet...

Hi Nick

The bird was feeding on the turf between the gorse and NNUH when I took this shot. I checked today around 1pm but there was no sign of it.
I had some pretty decent birding around Norwich this weekend now I come to think of it. Nightingale (2), Ring Ouzel, two Garden Warblers now singing at Marston Marshes plus a reeling Gropper and last thing this evening I had a single Reed Warbler singing there also. Not bad for city / suburban spot!

Cheers

Graham Clarke

http://grahamsphoto.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/keeping-it-local.html

West Earlham

Thanks for the info on the Nightingale at West Earlham , had about a 10/15 second full view of it yesterday evening , thats the best view I have ever had of one , also 1 Garden Warbler close by ,
Pete

Hi Nick

The bird was feeding on the turf between the gorse and NNUH when I took this shot. I checked today around 1pm but there was no sign of it.
I had some pretty decent birding around Norwich this weekend now I come to think of it. Nightingale (2), Ring Ouzel, two Garden Warblers now singing at Marston Marshes plus a reeling Gropper and last thing this evening I had a single Reed Warbler singing there also. Not bad for city / suburban spot!

Cheers

Graham Clarke

http://grahamsphoto.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/keeping-it-local.html

Yes, I checked out the Ring Ouzel at the same time and again between 5-6pm (I work nearby) but no joy. A lot of goldfinches about (are there a lot more this year? I seem to be coming across them more regularly, even in my parents garden where they haven't settled for years). Got a decent view of a Chiffchaff as well high in the treetops.

A couple of terns have settled on the lake, presumably Common although one of them had a slightly more yellowish beak. Also heard a sound akin to a Grasshopper Warbler close to the lake as well, but only got a fleeting glimpse.

(plus obligatory Peregrine view at the Cathedral on the way home in the evening sun!)

Last edited:
Cuckoo singing around the back of UEA today, 3 Nightingales present 2 singing males and a silent bird possibly a female? Garden warblers x2 At least 3 Sedge Warblers back at various spots around campus + reed warblers. Biggest surprise this evening whilst looking for the rouzel a pair of adult med gulls flew over high calling. Not sure how regular they are in Norwich / how many records UEA has had. Was pretty chuffed!

Biggest surprise this evening whilst looking for the rouzel a pair of adult med gulls flew over high calling. Not sure how regular they are in Norwich / how many records UEA has had. Was pretty chuffed!

I had one at UEA in the late 90's which is my only record for Norwich, don't think there are many records tho I'd imagine Whitlingham has had the odd one or two...

There have been a few Whitlingham records, including one last April. I'm yet to see one, but they seem to be doing quite well in Norfolk so hopefully it won't be too long.

I had one at UEA in the late 90's which is my only record for Norwich, don't think there are many records tho I'd imagine Whitlingham has had the odd one or two...

Yesterday evening at Whitlingham there were two Cuckoos calling, along with my first Garden Warbler and Reed Warbler of the year. Also 2 Whitethroats and a Sedge Warbler, plus hirundines.

If I remember rightly there was a med gull reported at Eaton Park in Winter 2012/2013

Also, the nightingale was present and singing sporadically this morning between 9am - 10am, also garden warbler, whitethroat, black cap etc everything was singing lovely until a sparrowhawk bunted past me at head level

Last edited:
I saw a pair of Buzzard soaring high over Havelock Road c.1650 today heading south. Not that unusual these days I know but it was only last summer that I saw Buzzards from my GT garden for the first time.

A Lesser Whitethroat was singing from bushes just upstream of Cow Tower (opposite side of the river) at 11am this morning. Despite sitting for 20 mins or so, during which time it was singing constantly, it refused to show itself. Good record for the city centre all the same.

A Lesser Whitethroat was singing from bushes just upstream of Cow Tower (opposite side of the river) at 11am this morning. Despite sitting for 20 mins or so, during which time it was singing constantly, it refused to show itself. Good record for the city centre all the same.

Great bird for the city! I've still to see one around Norwich area so if I'm lucky enough to free some time up ill pop down myself
,Cheers,
Shaky

Slightly belated, it'll teach me for instantly dismissing birds. However 2 Arctic Terns on UEA broad this evening. Whether they're the pair that have been around for a week I'm not sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back