• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nyger seed out one day golfinches the next! (1 Viewer)

birdbrainer

but some people call me Helen!!
I set up my bird feeders etc about 6months ago and have had dunnocks, house sparrows, blue tits and great tits, starlings, wood pigeons and robins! Usual suburban birds. Bought a nyger seed feeder thinking i might just might get goldfinches!! How do they know??? Put it up one day and next morning ........hey prest a pair of goldfinches! Was really made up!;)

Goldfinch Radar

You're right. It doesn't take them long to zero in on the chow line. I don't know what it is about the Nyger seed (perhaps the size has something to do with it. They are a regular and frequent friend in late winter for us.

I set up my bird feeders etc about 6months ago and have had dunnocks, house sparrows, blue tits and great tits, starlings, wood pigeons and robins! Usual suburban birds. Bought a nyger seed feeder thinking i might just might get goldfinches!! How do they know??? Put it up one day and next morning ........hey prest a pair of goldfinches! Was really made up!;)

It doesn't always work out like that Helen. Last January my wife bought a feeder at Titchwell RSPB loaded with nyger seed. The feeder was ignored by all the birds and months later I threw the the lot in the dustbin as the seeds had gone off.
This year I bought one of those cheap plastic feeders loaded with nyger seeds and within a week I saw Siskins were eating these seeds. Then a pair of Goldfinchs appeared and started to feast on the seeds on a daily basis. I have had to go out and buy a bag of nyger seed from the local pet shop as a stop gap until I need to place my main seed order. To date I have only seen Siskins and Goldfinchs interested in nyger seeds though. Roger

...have only seen Siskins and Goldfinchs interested in nyger seeds though. Roger

Yep, Goldfinches and Siskins are to two main protagonists on my Nyger, too.
But, I also get Greenfinches and I thought (but wasn't quick enough with the binoculars) I caught a fleeting glimpse of a Linnet yesterday evening - but this could have been wishful-thinking-led-identification.
You'll cement your finch relationship with a dispenser containing Sunflower hearts (not the whole seeds) as well.

Redpolls love nyger too, I have around 20 every day amongst the Goldfinches and Siskins. Sunflower hearts attract just about everything, including Bullfinches for me, and black sunflower seeds seem to be a favourite of Greenfinches in my garden.

Apart from goldies and greenies and the occasional siskin the starlings are going thru my feeders like a dose of salts ,they seem to be able to cling to just about anything and even the robin gets onto the feeders.The only 2 species on the nyjer feeders are goldies and siskins, but it's great seeing 12+ goldies on a feeder.

where have they gone?

Well dont know whats happened to my three goldfinches:-C I haven't seen them for about a week. The nyger feeder only has two holes and perches and is only a quarter full. Is it that? I put some fat cake out and starlings have been finishing it off pretty quick. Is it the starlings? A couple of huge crows making a nest in a large sycamore tree on the golf course behind our house. Is it that? Still got robins, dunnocks, house sparrows, blue tits, great tits and long tailed tits. But where are all the ****** goldfinches????

I wouldn't worry. Perhaps they are coming through when you aren't around. I recently had what I considered "regulars" (but who really knows). They were still in their drab olive green plumage and then there were several days where I did not see them at all. Just yesterday a small group came back and saw they were beginning to change into their breeding plumage. Always fun to see the transition in these little beauties.

Attachments

• GF.jpg
    GF.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 97
I put a couple up this winter, it took a while for the birds to realise it was there..suddenly gold finches..greenfinches, and more recently first one Redpoll then 2 , and now a big flock..yesterday morning I counted 32 redpolls! Couldnt believe it!-+

Interesting photo nu2birding and now not so new I think!;) I've not notice a difference in the goldies plumage here. Could be me though as I am nu2birding! I've attached a photo of the goldies at a local RSPB reserve. This is the only way I've seen them. This was taken in February. Whereabouts in the states are you?

Helen

Attachments

• IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Still no goldies

Still not seen any. Still waiting for their return! :-C
I've been putting out sunflower hearts too but nothing new.
I filled the nyger feeder up to the top as I wondered if perhaps they thought it wasnt worth bothering with a quarter full feeder!:brains:

I have an 'odd' situation in our garden. The only birds that i can seem to attract on a regular basis, (daily) are Goldfinches, I put the nyger seed out, middle of march, which is usually about when i start hearing them 'chattering' and as soon as it goes out they are there.
Can I get any other birds in the garden...? No, not even a house sparrow, I can only put it down to the number of cats that we have round here, I can't wait until the new puppy arrives in June, as it might give the birds a bit more confidence!

But I must say although they are the only birds brave enough to visit my garden, they really do brighten my day.

I have a 2 hole nyger seed feeder, and had 8 Goldfinches lined up on the washing line last week, unfortunately, by the time I had retrieved my camera from where I had left it, they had moved around, as it would have made a fab picture! |:D| Just bought my second lot of nyger seed this month!

Stop Press... I now have 2 great big fat pigeons gorging themselves on my ground feeder, think the cats must be scared of them due to their immense size! :-O

perhaps worth pointing out lest anyone be confused that american and brits are talking about different species when they say "goldfinch" hence the differing photos. I'm sure most of us are aware but thought it worth pointing out in case any beginners stumble accross this and are bewildered.

perhaps worth pointing out lest anyone be confused that american and brits are talking about different species when they say "goldfinch" hence the differing photos. I'm sure most of us are aware but thought it worth pointing out in case any beginners stumble accross this and are bewildered.

I was confused about the title to the thread. Perhaps "Golfinches" can be attracted by putting out "Nyger Woods" seeds?
If so, i'd tick 'em off! Be a new "Birdie" for me! :t:;)

(Sorry everyone, i was just playing "a round"!):-O

Last edited:

Was going to mention this myself. ;) American Goldfinches change plumage colour from winter to summer, but our Goldfinches stay the same colour.

Interesting photo nu2birding and now not so new I think!;) I've not notice a difference in the goldies plumage here. Could be me though as I am nu2birding! I've attached a photo of the goldies at a local RSPB reserve. This is the only way I've seen them. This was taken in February. Whereabouts in the states are you?

Helen

As mentioned....North American GF's change plumage. They go from olive green with wing bars to bright yellow with dark masks for males...females largely remain olive green. Attached are some shots of Amer. GF's in various plumage states. First is breeding male....second is breeding female....third is male winter. I must say the picture of your version is absolutely beautiful.

Attachments

• brd_JIW_080602_00646H_S.jpg
    brd_JIW_080602_00646H_S.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 61
  • brd_MPR_080602_100054_S.jpg
    brd_MPR_080602_100054_S.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 71
  • brd_JIW_080602_00646G_S.jpg
    brd_JIW_080602_00646G_S.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 61
I was confused about the title to the thread. Perhaps "Golfinches" can be attracted by putting out "Nyger Woods" seeds?
If so, i'd tick 'em off! Be a new "Birdie" for me! :t:;)

(Sorry everyone, i was just playing "a round"!):-O

LOL! Do you know Phil I hadn't even noticed that I'd left the "d" out! :eek!:
Well, maybe that's why people are reading it - think its a new species!! :-O

Dont seem to be able to edit the thread title either -- oh well think its better as it is really.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for clearing up the confusion (doesn't take a lot to confuse me these days) :eek!: Wondered if it was the case.

An update on the "golfinches" or lack of .......... After filling the nyger feeder to the top I have seen one feeding today at it! There is another variable though...........the starlings have finished off the fat cake block and aren't around quite so much.

So.................maybe they will increase???? Here's hoping!

What this then?

Begining to think Im talking to myself now! :eek!: Hope I'm not boring people. LOL. :-O

Today after I'd filled all my feeders. I emptied my compost bin and dug over the beds. Put up a nest box and retreated to get some lunch. Next thing I looked out and saw this bird. Wow, I was sooo excited - something I'd never seen before.

When I looked in my book I thought it was a linnet, in fact I was convinced but now think its a redpoll.

Is it?

Attachments

• garfden birds march 09 090.jpg
    garfden birds march 09 090.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 92
  • garfden birds march 09 096.jpg
    garfden birds march 09 096.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 97
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back