• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ocai and Rafael Montes de Oca (1 Viewer)

I found an interesting US Border record showing Rafael Montes de Oca Artist visited the US in the 1850s and on this record he was born in 1827.

Attached also is a Death certificate for a Rafael:

BIRTH DATE: 1824
DEATH REGISTRATION DATE: 25/Dic/1887
DEATH REGISTRATION PLACE: Guadalajara Jalisco México

The dates are believable but the location is not ideal but perhaps he retired to Guadalajara. As usual, I cann't really read the detail.

I also add an even more surprisng record that I believe is our Rafael. Born 24 Oct 1830 in Jalapa (as in post #1). But this Rafael is a US Citizen!

P

Attachments

• RMdO1.JPG
    RMdO1.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 14
  • RMdO2.JPG
    RMdO2.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Somehow I can accept b. 24 Oct 1830 in Jalapa as the signature https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/50295#page/10/mode/1up has some similarity with your document. As well it might fit that he has visited George Newbold Lawrence in NY who dedicated Pipilo ocai to him (but a couple of years later). For Amazilia Ocaí he was already present in Mexico (1859).

About the death I am more sceptic. It would be interesting what a empleo de ?ougmario? is? Or if his father Augustin Montes de Oca has any relationship to Jalapa.

The dates are believable but the location is not ideal but perhaps he retired to Guadalajara. As usual, I cann't really read the detail.
This says i.a. "empleado originario de Sayula, hijo legitimo de Agustin Montes de Oca y de Mariana Punto". Profession and stated origin probably not ideal either ?

I agree the paraph on the other document appears quite clearly to be the same as in the book. This says he was naturalized in March 1859 ?

Last edited:
Even if I do not believe in the death date here what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
D'Oca's Amazilia Amazilia ocai Gould 1859 NCR [Hybrid Amazilia cyanocephala x Amazilia beryllina]
Collared Towhee Pipilo ocai G. N. Lawrence, 1865
Rafael Montes de Oca (d. 1880) was a Mexican naturalist and artist. He created a series of plates showing Mexican hummingbirds and orchids published many years later (1963). He was employed as a naturalist on the Mexican-Guatemalan Boundary Commission.

He was still alive in 1885 in my opinion.

And it could be in 1890 Anales ...
Sólo hago mención de esta Gallinácea, que es basatante común y muy conocida, con el objeto de rectificar un grave error: el Sr. D. Rafael Montes de Oca, de regreso de su viaje à Chiapas, trajo varios ejemplares de Crux globicera y de Crux rubra, asegurando lo que ya otros han dicho, que este es, no una especie distinta, sino la hembra del primero, según ha podido descubrir por observaciones personales ó informes de personas fidedignas.

I think he died 16 Aug 1913 aged 82 in San Francisco Chilpan a suburb of Mexico City. Here he was listed as commerciante. Attached.

Attachments

• 004976619_00675.jpg
    004976619_00675.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
I think he died 16 Aug 1913 aged 82 in San Francisco Chilpan a suburb of Mexico City. Here he was listed as commerciante. Attached.

According to this, he died on 15 Aug 1913 (usual issue -- a guy showed up on 16 Aug with documents attesting that he had died "ayer a la 5 cinco y 30 treinta minutos de la tarde"), of chronic laryngitis. He is said to have been from ("de") San Francisco Chilpan (I can't tell if this means he was born, or resided there), 82 yo, a trader, widower of Maria Montero, son of the deceased Manuel Montes de Oca and Petra Cureño. "Ticket was given" ("Se dió boleta") for the Panteón Español -- which may (?) mean he was of Spanish origin.

There is an entire chapter on him in

"Xalapeños distinguidos. Colección Suma veracruzana: Serie Biografía. Author, Leonardo Pasquel. Publisher, Editorial Citlaltepetl, 1975" but I can't get the whole text online

Users who are viewing this thread

Back