• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OD of Brachypteraciidae (1 Viewer)

The family-group name Brachypteraciidae is usually referred to Bonaparte, 1854. Bock (1994) cites it (as Brachypterciinae) from L'Ateneo italiano 2, where Bonaparte published his Conspectus Volucrum Anisodactylorum on the pages 311-321 and 377-382. However, I was unable to find Brachypteriinae in that publication, nor in Compt. Rend. Acad. Sci Paris of the year 1854. In his Conspectus, Bonaparte used Atelornithinae for the ground-rollers, not Brachypteraciinae. It seems that Bock (1994) confused something. If someone can help with the OD of that family-group name, I would be much obliged.

The family-group name Brachypteraciidae is usually referred to Bonaparte, 1854. Bock (1994) cites it (as Brachypterciinae) from L'Ateneo italiano 2, where Bonaparte published his Conspectus Volucrum Anisodactylorum on the pages 311-321 and 377-382. However, I was unable to find Brachypteriinae in that publication, nor in Compt. Rend. Acad. Sci Paris of the year 1854. In his Conspectus, Bonaparte used Atelornithinae for the ground-rollers, not Brachypteraciinae. It seems that Bock (1994) confused something. If someone can help with the OD of that family-group name, I would be much obliged.
I can't found this Conspectus at all. If you have a link ?

This is what I have :
  • OS (uncorrected) : Brachypteraciinae
  • author : Sharpe
  • year : 1871
  • original rank : subfamily
  • OD reference : Sharpe RB. 1871. On the Coraciidae of the Ethiopian region. Ibis, ser. 3, 1: 184-186.
  • page : 184
  • OD link : ser.3:v.1=no.1-4 (1871) - Ibis - Biodiversity Heritage Library
  • Date : 30 Apr 1871
  • Dating rationale : Stated date on first page of issue (p. 113) “April 1871.”
  • type genus : Brachypteracias Lafresnaye 1834
  • valid synonym of type genus name : Brachypteracias Lafresnaye 1834
  • family : Brachypteraciidae
  • higher classification : Coraciiformes
  • potential non-latinized contender : n/a
  • Bock’s 1994 source : ?; ?; Bonaparte CL. 1854. Conspectus volucrum anisodactylorum. Quadro dei volucris anisodattili. Ateneo Ital., 2: 311-321.; p. 312; L'Ateneo Italiano; raccolta di documenti e memorie relative al progresso delle scienze fisiche compilato da S. de Luca e D. Müller ; no such name here, Brachypteracias is in Coraciidae: Atelornithinae.
  • notes and comments : Also as : Brachypteraciinae; subfamily; Sharpe RB. 1871. Contributions to the Ornithology of Madagascar.—Part II. Proc. Zool. Soc. London, year 1871: 313-320.; p. 316; 1871 - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library ; not the first use of the name (published in August 1871 fide: Duncan M. 1937. On the dates of publication of the Society’s ‘Proceedings,’ 1859-1926. With an appendix containing the dates of publication of ‘Proceedings,’ 1830-1858, compiled by the late F. H. Waterhouse, and of the ‘Transactions,” 1833-1869, by the late Henry Peavot, originally published in P. Z. S. 1893, 1913. Proc. Zool. Soc., A, 107: 71-84.; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7998.1937.tb08500.x ).
  • available : yes
  • post-1899 usage (in publications) : yes
  • nomenclatural validity : potentially valid (but a junior subjective synonym of Atelornithinae Bonaparte 1853)
  • stem under Art. 29.3 : Brachypteraci- (Gr. βραχυπτερος, short-winged + gen. Coracias Linnaeus (< Gr. κορακίας, -ου, chough))
  • plural suffix used in OS : -inae

Last edited:
This is what I have :
  • OS (uncorrected) : Brachypteraciinae
  • author : Sharpe
  • year : 1871
  • original rank : subfamily
  • OD reference : Sharpe RB. 1871. On the Coraciidae of the Ethiopian region. Ibis, ser. 3, 1: 184-186.
  • page : 184
  • OD link : ser.3:v.1=no.1-4 (1871) - Ibis - Biodiversity Heritage Library
  • Date : 30 Apr 1871
  • Dating rationale : Stated date on first page of issue (p. 113) “April 1871.”
  • type genus : Brachypteracias Lafresnaye 1834
  • valid synonym of type genus name : Brachypteracias Lafresnaye 1834
  • family : Brachypteraciidae
  • higher classification : Coraciiformes
  • potential non-latinized contender : n/a
  • Bock’s 1994 source : ?; ?; Bonaparte CL. 1854. Conspectus volucrum anisodactylorum. Quadro dei volucris anisodattili. Ateneo Ital., 2: 311-321.; p. 312; L'Ateneo Italiano; raccolta di documenti e memorie relative al progresso delle scienze fisiche compilato da S. de Luca e D. Müller ; no such name here, Brachypteracias is in Coraciidae: Atelornithinae.
  • notes and comments : Also as : Brachypteraciinae; subfamily; Sharpe RB. 1871. Contributions to the Ornithology of Madagascar.—Part II. Proc. Zool. Soc. London, year 1871: 313-320.; p. 316; 1871 - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library ; not the first use of the name (published in August 1871 fide: Duncan M. On the dates of publication of the Society’s ‘Proceedings,’ 1859-1926. With an appendix containing the dates of publication of ‘Proceedings,’ 1830-1858, compiled by the late F. H. Waterhouse, and of the ‘Transactions,” 1833-1869, by the late Henry Peavot, originally published in P. Z. S. 1893, 1913. Proc. Zool. Soc., A, 107: 71-84.; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7998.1937.tb08500.x ).
  • available : yes
  • post-1899 usage (in publications) : yes
  • nomenclatural validity : potentially valid (but a junior subjective synonym of Atelornithinae Bonaparte 1853)
  • stem under Art. 29.3 : Brachypteraci- (Gr. βραχυπτερος, short-winged + gen. Coracias Linnaeus (< Gr. κορακίας, -ου, chough))
  • plural suffix used in OS : -inae
Many thanks for this. It once more shows that Bock (1994) is not reliable and that one has to trace every entry if one wants to be sure about family-group names. Unfortunately, sources like Taxonomy in Flux and others took over Bock's mistaken entries without checking them for reliability.

Why potentially, do you think Atelornithinae would have been used after 1900?

1) Whether a group like the ground-rollers deserves to be denoted by a family-group name depends on subjective taxonomic decisions. What I put in the "nomenclatural validity" field is intended to be objective (i.e., independent of taxonomic decisions), hence it never goes higher than "potentially valid".
2) Yes, Atelornithinae has been used after 1899 : UF Digital Collections

Last edited:
1) Whether a group like the ground-rollers deserves to be denoted by a family-group name depends on subjective taxonomic decisions. What I put in the "nomenclatural validity" field is intended to be objective (i.e., independent of taxonomic decisions), hence it never goes higher than "potentially valid".
2) Yes, Atelornithinae has been used after 1899 : UF Digital Collections
Are not Chenu & Des Murs, 1852 Encycl. Hist. Nat., Oiseaux, pt. 3, p. 236 the authors of Atelornithinae? They originally used Atélornithinés for the family, but according to Art. 11.7.2. Bonaparte only latinized that name, making it available as it has been accepted by later authors as introduced by Chenu & Des Murs. Or am I wrong with this view?

Many thanks for this. It once more shows that Bock (1994) is not reliable and that one has to trace every entry if one wants to be sure about family-group names. Unfortunately, sources like Taxonomy in Flux and others took over Bock's mistaken entries without checking them for reliability.
Someone really need to publish a "new" actually accurate review of existing bird family level names. People go with bock mostly because it can be challenging to search the really old literature.

Of course such a work would take a lot of time, and probably be hard to publish :(

Someone really need to publish a "new" actually accurate review of existing bird family level names. People go with bock mostly because it can be challenging to search the really old literature.

Of course such a work would take a lot of time, and probably be hard to publish :(
Certainly someone should do that, but it is a task that probably would overwhelm a single person as we have seen with Bock. If an international team could be formed it would nowadays be easier than 30 years ago to prepare a comprehensive list of family-group names, with online libraries like BHL, zobodat, Gallica, etc. available. Publishing the results of intensive research should not be the problem as journals like Zootaxa, ZooKeys and Sherbornia are able to publish extensive and comprehensive monographs.

Are not Chenu & Des Murs, 1852 Encycl. Hist. Nat., Oiseaux, pt. 3, p. 236 the authors of Atelornithinae? They originally used Atélornithinés for the family, but according to Art. 11.7.2. Bonaparte only latinized that name, making it available as it has been accepted by later authors as introduced by Chenu & Des Murs. Or am I wrong with this view?

11.7.2. If a family-group name was published before 1900, in accordance with the above provisions of this Article but not in latinized form, it is available with its original author and date only if it has been latinized by later authors and has been generally accepted as valid by authors interested in the group concerned and as dating from that first publication in vernacular form.
To me, the "only if", in this article, quite clearly indicates that this should not be understood as being a "default" rule.
The conditions to cite a name from a source where it was not latinized are three, which must all be met :
  1. the name must have been latinized by subsequent authors,
  2. the name must have been "generally" accepted as valid by authors interested in the group (NB -- "valid" in the Code means "one that is acceptable under the provisions of the Code and, in the case of a name, which is the correct name of a taxon in an author's taxonomic judgment." [Glossary]; "accepted as valid by authors interested in the group concerned" is not at all the same thing as "accepted by later authors as introduced by [whichever authors]"),
  3. these authors must have "generally" accepted it as dating from its introduction in vernacular form.
I read this article as attempting to preserve the accepted source for names that are, and have always been, widely used, and treated as dating from an introduction in vernacular form. In some fields (e.g., entomology, I believe), there is a long tradition of citing family-group names from introductions in non-latinized form ; in such fields, when a name is in use and widely understood as taking precedence from an introduction in non-latinized form, not to accept this introduction would be at the risk of turning the name into a junior synonym. Art. 11.7.2 tries to avoid this. In birds, however, we have no established tradition of citing family-group names from introductions in non-latinized form. (In fact, I believe that you would struggle to find even one bird family-group name clearly attributed to a source where it was used in a non-latinized form before Bock 1994.)

For Atelornithinae, the first condition is certainly met. But, historically, a majority of the authors interested in the group have accepted a name based on Brachypteracias, rather than one based on Atelornis, as its valid name : I would not regard the second condition as being met. And, except for Bock in 1994, the authors who used a name based on Atelornis either did not attribute it to any author at all, or, like Brodkorb in 1971, attributed it to Bonaparte : I would not regard the third condition as being met either. If two of the three conditions are not met, I would not cite this name from Chenu & Des Murs.

But I'm aware that this reading may not make the unanimity.

(Note -- Bock 1994 accepted all the non-latinized name that he found in works dating from before 1900 as available from these sources; many of these names had actually never been latinized at all, and he should unquestionably have treated these as unavailable. He latinized them, however, and he accepted them as dating from the source he was citing them from, so that under a loose understanding of 11.7.2, it could be argued that these names are now available from these sources, as a result of Bock's action. Under a stricter reading of 11.7.2, these names are not available from their original sources, because they have not "been generally accepted as valid by authors interested in the group concerned"; and Bock did not make them available either because, despite having latinized them, he merely cited them in synonymy, which does not fulfil Art. 11.5. Thus these names remain unavailable today.)

Last edited:
Of course, I'm going to ask the sempiternal question: what's stopping me from using Atelornithidae instead of Brachypteraciidae?

Except the fact that Brachypteraciidae is in much broader use than Atelornithidae, nothing, so far as I know.
(The situation is the same as for Cathartidae vs. Vulturidae. The latter was also revived by Brodkorb as well.)

Except the fact that Brachypteraciidae is in much broader use than Atelornithidae, nothing, so far as I know.
(The situation is the same as for Cathartidae vs. Vulturidae. The latter was also revived by Brodkorb as well.)
But you said previously that certain conditions are not met to use Atelornithidae, or I misunderstood

But you said previously that certain conditions are not met to use Atelornithidae, or I misunderstood

I'm not sure where I said that ?
Atelornithinae was revived by Brodkorb in 1971 on grounds of priority. During the last part of the 20th C, there was an almost continual "fighting" opposing some ornithologists who were in favour of applying traditional rules, including Priority, strictly, and others who wanted to protect "prevailing usage" at all costs. Brodkorb was part of the first group, Bock was part of the second. Brodkorb was a paleontologist, and those who followed him (i.e., started to use the names he had revived in his Catalogue) were mostly paleontologists too, not neo-ornithologists. Generally, neo-ornithologists simply ignored his actions.
Nevertheless, Bordkorb's revival of Atelornithinae after 1899 means that this name cannot, under the current Code, be made a nomen oblitum relative to Brachypteraciidae; Brachypteraciidae cannot, either, be regarded as having "replaced" Atelornithidae due to the type of the latter having been synonymized with that of the former; and the two names have generally been used to denote exactly the same taxon, i.e., there is no tradition of using Atelornithidae at a lower rank than Brachypteraciidae. Thus none of the provisions that provide automatic protection to widely used junior synonyms in the family-group, appears to apply to the current case.
To preserve the use of Brachyperaciidae, a case should in principle be submitted to the Commission, asking for a conditional suppression of Atelornithidae.

"I would not regard the second condition as being met"
The condition I was alluding to there needs to be met if we want to treat the name, under 11.7.2, as being available from a work where it was introduced in a non-latinized form (in this case, "Atélornithinés" in Chenu & Des Murs 1852). If 11.7.2 does not apply, the name is available from its first subsequent use in latinized form, i.e., Atelornithinae in Bonaparte 1853.
Whatever the source, it will always be older than Brachypteraciinae Sharpe 1871.

In fact, the case is similar to Grallariidae/Myrmotheridae ?
I would expect Brachypteraciidae to have been significantly more widely used than Grallariidae.
(Most of the use of Grallariidae was a consequence of Antpittas having been taken out of Formicariidae, which was a recent move based on molecular studies.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back