• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Only One Dove Parent Coming to Nest (1 Viewer)

Lilidove

United States
Last year I had a pair of doves who had several broods using the same nest. I would see the mom and dad each sit on the nest, rarely left unattended. However, I now only see one bird and the nest is left unattended for an hour or so. I wonder if something happened to one of the parents. Last week, I saw a Hawk run into my window and when I looked outside there was a broken egg. One dove has returned and does sit on the nest. As I said, last year as one flew into the nest the other would leave, but that is not what I am seeing. What do you think the reason is I only see one parent? Will the egg hatch and the baby survive?

Hi Lilidove and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I have seen one dove successfully raise a brood, hopefully all will go well.

Hi Lilidove and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi Lilidove and welcome aboard!

My thought is that the female came back and is sitting on the eggs. If it is the female than she sure has her hands full with both nesting and feeding the babies if any have hatched. Please keep us advised on how it turnw out.

thank you everyone for the warm welcome. As I said, last year, the same two doves kept making lots of babies. The babies would fly away, and the next day they were laying more eggs. They would take turns sitting on the nest, so it was never unattended. But there is definitely only one bird and there are times when the nest is left unattended for a couple hours or more. Hopefully the one egg hatches and all is well.

unfortunately, it looks like the remaining dove has abandoned the nest. There is one egg in the nest and we will remove it in the next day or so. 🥲

I had mourning doves build a nest on my air conditioner second floor of my house. The mother laid one egg which I saw in full view. Then later the mother came back to sit on the egg for the next few days. I did not see the father bird again only when he was helping to build the nest.
We had a heavy rain storm today and the mother was there this morning sitting on the egg at 7:30 am. When I checked back later afternoon the mother was gone and so was the egg. It hadn’t fallen out of the nest as there was nothing on the ground below. No other animal could have gotten to it as it’s on the second level of my house. I wish I could have witnessed what actually happened. I feel bad it’s gone as I was enjoying watching nature.
This is the third time doves have nested here in my 30 yrs at my home. The first year eggs were laid and the chicks hatched and all flew away.
Another year a nest with 2 eggs but that time similar to this time the mother disappeared and so did the two eggs.
What could have happened to the eggs?
This year the mother never left the nest since Saturday and sat on the egg the whole time. That was 6 days. I would love for her to come back.
Anybody with expertise about the Mourning Doves habitat.🌻🤗

Users who are viewing this thread

Back