• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optical Accommodations (1 Viewer)

WJC

Having frequented several binocular forums over the years, I’ve seen that virtually ANY complaint in the view is laid at the feet of the instrument. That is only partially true. Most of this relates to inexperience.

The fact is many of these problems/frustrating anomalies rest with the observer (physiological) and what he or she doesn’t know about optics in general or binoculars in particular. I have attached a couple of these problems which I wrote for the Caribbean magazine Times of the Islands. They rarely make it into print for the non-optics geek. But understanding them can often make a big difference in a viewing session.

Cheers,

Bill

PS For anyone wishing to question, challenge, or attack me, please realize I just had the hard drive on my big Mac wiped completely slick and had to get another iMac because some familiar software wouldn’t load on Sonoma. So, I’m just lumbering along … including my correspondence.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.20.49 AM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.20.49 AM copy.png
    447.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.21.32 AM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.21.32 AM copy.png
    392.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.22.08 AM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.22.08 AM copy.png
    467 KB · Views: 66
It’s much easier to blame the inanimate object, than it is to admit that you may be doing it wrong.

Corollary: Just because you have been doing it that way for n years doesn’t mean you are doing it right.

Last edited:
It’s much easier to blame the inanimate object, than it is to admit that you may be doing it wrong.
Too many don't know the difference. It easier to embrace speculations than facts. After all, the prior outnumber the latter 1,000 to 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back