• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron eyepieces (2 Viewers)

adw73uk said:
A Question for any HDF zoom owners or anyone that has tested one.

I had a look through one of these and I found that the eye cup moved with the zoom. Can't remember which way round it was but I think that when I zoomed in, the eye cup came down. Is this some clever way of maintaing eye relief or is it a fault?

Cheers

adw73uk

It's a fault. And a bloody annoying one at that. And it has got progressively worse on my scope. I think it is fixable by loosening or tightening bolts but I am not going to fanny around with it and I am not going to be without it for 2-3 weeks. I am pretty adept at holding eyecup in place whilst zooming but I would still love to have it fixed.

I have thought about tightening it in the locked 'out' position to have full eye relief permanently but that is no good for sharing with my parents who wear glasses or have different focal lengths. Nor would it work if I started digiscoping.

That aside, I love my HDF zoom (18-54) on the 665 body.

Graham

F.Y.I. Here is the reply I got from Opticron:

"HDF T eyepieces a lot better than standard MM2 eyepieces offering wider fields of view with noticeably brighter and sharper images. Not bad thing when you’ve only got a 50mm objective and are trying to operate above 20x.

Best overall eyepieces are;

a. 40862M HDF T 12-36x (£179) Best all-in-one as you get 12x as well as +30x when light conditions allow.

b. 40858M HDF T 24xW (£169) Our favourite but expensive.

c. 40859M HDF 28xW (£97) The top end magnification at which the ‘scope works well in almost all light conditions except dusk.

d. 40933M HR2 13-39x (£139). Best zoom on a budget. SHARPER and wide field than 40903M 15-40x zoom. Certainly worth the extra layout if you’re thinking about a zoom."

2520years said:
F.Y.I. Here is the reply I got from Opticron:

"HDF T eyepieces a lot better than standard MM2 eyepieces offering wider fields of view with noticeably brighter and sharper images. Not bad thing when you’ve only got a 50mm objective and are trying to operate above 20x.

Best overall eyepieces are;

a. 40862M HDF T 12-36x (£179) Best all-in-one as you get 12x as well as +30x when light conditions allow.

b. 40858M HDF T 24xW (£169) Our favourite but expensive.

c. 40859M HDF 28xW (£97) The top end magnification at which the ‘scope works well in almost all light conditions except dusk.

d. 40933M HR2 13-39x (£139). Best zoom on a budget. SHARPER and wide field than 40903M 15-40x zoom. Certainly worth the extra layout if you’re thinking about a zoom."
the best prices I know of are £150 for the HDF zoom, £139 for the 24 £80 for the 28 and £109 for the hr zoom

Those prices are cheaper than anything I've seen. I'm in no immediate hurry, so I'm probably going to look out for second hand scopes at first, but in case that doesn't work out where are those prices from pduxon?

Thanks.

Remember that the same part - 40862M HDF T (£179) - is 12x to 36x on the 50mm MM2 but will be 16x-48x on your imagic and would be 20x to 60x on an 80mm body.

And whatever you put it on it may still have that annoying eye-relief/zoom thingy problem.

Graham

bitterntwisted said:
It's a fault. And a bloody annoying one at that. And it has got progressively worse on my scope. I think it is fixable by loosening or tightening bolts but I am not going to fanny around with it and I am not going to be without it for 2-3 weeks.

I've had a look at my HDF zoom and can't quite understand what's wrong - I did however have a problem with the SDL zoom which didn't lock properly - rang Opticron and they sent me a 40934 eyepiece adapter which is the cure-all for a few of their scope/eyepiece combinations - mine was a Mighty Midget II.
There was no charge for the adapter.

More experimenting - if I loosen the HDF a tiny fraction the eyecup revolves and so does the tube with 'Opticron HDF zoom' written on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back