• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ornismya atala Lesson 1833 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Ornismya atala Lesson 1833 OD here (I need to checck Priority for the exact date but not availble for me today)

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Atala's Emerald Chlorostilbon atala Gould, c.1861 NCR [JS Chlorostilbon mellisugus]
Probably not an eponym; i.e. it should be the Atala Emerald rather than Atala's Emerald, and may be derived from the Greek atalos, meaning delicate. Possibly, as a follow-on to Lesson's naming of Ornismya atala (1832), which could be after the heroine of a novel by Chateaubriand Atala ou Les Amours de Deux Savages dans le Desert (1801) or even after his daughter: see Cecilia (Gautrau).

The Key to Scientific Names
Cécile Estelle Atala Lesson (1819-1845) first daughter of French naturalist René P. Lesson (“Atala’s Emerald” of Gould 1861) (cf. Atala, daughter of a Muscogee chieftain and heroine of de Chateaubriand’s romantic novel (1801) Atala, ou Les Amours de deux sauvages dans le désert) (syn. Chlorostilbon canivetii caribaeus).

Atala’s Emerald Gould 1860 here and text. Publishing date is 1860 and not 1861 here as part of delivery 20 (XX). And possibly, as a follow-on to Lesson is a clearly no. Not possibly as Gould clearly referenced to Lesson. So why possibly (not read the description)?

The question remains if Lesson really named two birds after his daughter under different names. Maybe the solution is to find in the environment of Florent Prevost?

If synonym to Chlorostilbon mellisugus caribaeus Lawrence, 1871 I ask myself why has Lesson no priority?

Last edited:
Her name was Cécile Eustelle Attala Gauteau nee Lesson, she was not as is often stated the daughter of Clémence Dumont de Sainte-Croix but of Rene's first wife Jeanne Zoe Massiou. I note that Atala was misspelled in the civil registration of birth but that it is spelled correctly in the marriage and death certificates. Eustelle is spelled similarly in all 3.

B: Nov 21 1819 Rochefort, Charente-Maritime
Marriage: Sep 10 1844 Rochefort, Charente-Maritime
D: June 29 1845 Rochefort, Charente-Maritime

Sadly died in childbirth 9 months after marriage just like her mother!!

Another thing I thought I would check Renes birth (attached) I read that he was born on 21st March but everywhere else I can find says the 20th.

Attachments

• death.png
    death.png
    628.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Birth.png
    Birth.png
    401.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Marriage.png
    Marriage.png
    540.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Rene birth.png
    Rene birth.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
"Aujourd'hui premier Germinal an deuxième de la République française une et indivisible [...]"
"[...] est accouché du jourd'hui [...] d'un enfant mâle [...]"

He was born on 1 Germinal, An II = 21 Mar 1794.

(The "vingt-un ans" which is highlighted in yellow is the age of one of the witnesses.)

Yes my point exactly. Each has 20th except the French one that appears to have been modified in the last few days and has 21st in one place and 2Oth in another. The irony is that his middle name gives away his birth date i.e. Primevère = vernal equinox = first day of spring = 1 Germinal.

Also Eustelle was Rene's mother's name...

Last edited:
René Primevère Lesson.jpg

R. P. Lesson, detail.jpg

[from here]​

Awkward ... if not true. :unsure:

Take it for what it's worth, just an observation.

Björn

PS. Note, not hyphenated as in today's Key:
lessoni
Prof. René-Primevère Lesson (1794-1849) ...

lessonia / lessonii
• Prof. René-Primevère Lesson (1794-1849) ...
• [...]

LESSONIA
(Tyrannidae; Ϯ Austral Negrito L. rufa) Prof. René-Primevère Lesson (1794-1849)...

/B

This is what I have in my notes about this work -

Livr.​
date (Bibliogr. France)​
in-8° sheets​
plates​
total pp​
total plates​
1​
19 May 1832​
1​
5​
16​
5​
2​
21 Jul 1832​
1​
5​
32​
10​
3​
15 Sep 1832​
1​
5​
48​
15​
4​
20 Oct 1832​
1​
5​
64​
20​
5​
10 Nov 1832​
1​
5​
80​
25​
6​
8 Dec 1832​
1​
5​
96​
30​
7​
22 Dec 1832​
1​
5​
112​
35​
8​
23 Feb 1833​
1​
4​
128​
39​
9​
13 Apr 1833​
1​
5​
144​
44​
10-11​
3 Aug 1833​
2​
9​
176​
53​
12​
17 Aug 1833​
1​
5​
192​
58​
13​
28 Sep 1833​
1​
4​
208​
62​
14​
23 Dec 1833​
1​
4​
224​
66​

It seems most likely, and is generally accepted, that the publication of the text started with p. 1, proceeded up to p. 171, then continued with the Index général, and that the front matters (half-title page, title page, "avis de l'éditeur", "l'auteur au souscripteur") were included in livr. 14. If so, Ornismya atala on p. 115 was in the material that was announced published in Bibliogr. France on 23 Feb 1833.
The plates only had a French name on them, hence the scientific names must date from the publication of the text.
(Should the publication of the plates have occurred according to their sequence in the book, pl. XLII would be in the material announced published on 13 Apr 1833. In some of Lesson's works, the sequence of publication of the plates is known to have departed from the sequence of the plates in the work, however. I'm not aware that evidence exists for the sequence of publication of the plates of Trochilidées.)

Last edited:
Is it really a synonym?
An introduction to the Trochilidae : - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Lots of question marks and bird is from Trinidad and Venezuela whilst Lesson bird from Brazil?
Still more question marks and uncertainty in the Monograph of the Trochilidae v.5 (1860-1861) - A monograph of the Trochilidæ, or family of humming-birds - Biodiversity Heritage Library
In addition to the different localities, Gould described the bird for which used this name as differing from "Trochilus Daphne" of Bourcier in that it lacked the latter's "blue tint of colour over the glittering green of the lower part of the throat and breast". Lesson described Ornismya atala explicitly as having blue-tinged green underparts...
[...] sa poitrine étincelle de reflets bleus sur un fond d'émeraude, [...]
Tout le dessous du corps, à partir du menton jusqu'à l'anus, et les flancs compris, est d'un vert émeraude très scintillant, auquel se mêlent des reflets bleus.

Last edited:
The only copy of Les Trochilidees on BHL has no drawings? Les trochilidées, ou Les colibris et les oiseaux-mouches, suivis d'un index général, dans lequel sont décrites et classées méthodiquement toutes les races et espèces du genre trochilus ... - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Here is a Google Book with a drawing of O. atala showing the blues and greens. The drawing is inbetween 114 and page 115:
Les trochilidées ou les colibris et les oiseaux-mouches /
A prospectus was published in 1831 and says that 13 livraisons were anticipated with five planches each, therefore 65 planches were planned for. Laurent's post shows 14 livraisons with 4, 5, and 9 planches totalling 66. The prospectus shows L'Altala as Pl. 42 was anticipated in 1831.
t.26 (1831) - Bulletin des sciences naturelles et de géologie. - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

The plate is on BHL. See the link in here:
(Should the publication of the plates have occurred according to their sequence in the book, pl. XLII would be in the material announced published on 13 Apr 1833. In some of Lesson's works, the sequence of publication of the plates is known to have departed from the sequence of the plates in the work, however. I'm not aware that evidence exists for the sequence of publication of the plates of Trochilidées.)

The only copy of Les Trochilidees on BHL has no drawings? Les trochilidées, ou Les colibris et les oiseaux-mouches, suivis d'un index général, dans lequel sont décrites et classées méthodiquement toutes les races et espèces du genre trochilus ... - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Here is a Google Book with a drawing of O. atala showing the blues and greens. The drawing is inbetween 114 and page 115:
Les trochilidées ou les colibris et les oiseaux-mouches /
A prospectus was published in 1831 and says that 13 livraisons were anticipated with five planches each, therefore 65 planches were planned for. Laurent's post shows 14 livraisons with 4, 5, and 9 planches totalling 66. The prospectus shows L'Altala as Pl. 42 was anticipated in 1831.
t.26 (1831) - Bulletin des sciences naturelles et de géologie. - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Yes, as Martin also noted, there is another copy on BHL, which has plates: Les trochilidées : - Biodiversity Heritage Library
(Beware that this copy has the 1st and 2nd gatherings inverted (i.e., the text starts with pp. 17-32, then pp. 1-16, then pp. 33 et seq.).
(Incidentally, pp. xviij-xix of the Index général are also lacking in the plate-less copy, but are present in this other copy.)

My data comes directly from Bibliographie de la France:
1832 volume - Bibliographie de la France (see entries 2431, 3523, 4484, 5143, 5515, 6086, 6334)
1833 volume - Bibliographie de la France (see entries 1061, 2021, 4172, 4447, 5262, 6874)

The plans had already changed to 14 livraisons when the first livraison was issued: Bibliographie de la France, "L'ouvrage aura 14 livraisons."
There were officially one in-8° sheet of text and 4 to 5 plates / livraison, but livr. 10 and 11 were issued simultaneously, with two sheets of text and 9 plates in total: Bibliographie de la France.
The complete work has 66 plates. The main text (without the front matters) has 171 pp. + a blank page; the Index général (including its title page) has xliij (= 43) pp. + a blank page; the front matters have 8 pp. in total (half-title page + verso, title page + verso; and iv (= 4) pp. for "avis de l'éditeur" and "l'auteur au souscripteur"). This makes a total of 172 + 44 + 8 = 224 pp. These figures match what was announced as published in Bibliogr. France.

(One caveat, however: the Index général did not actually require that the main text be entirely published to be prepared : it is paged separately and only provides references to plate numbers, not to pages in the main text. Thus there is in principle a possibility that its publication started before the end of the publication of the main text, which would displace a part of the publication of the main text to later livraisons. The title page of the Index général (which also appears to be the first page of the first signature of the Index) bears the date "M DCCC XXXII" (1832) : this must be accepted as incorrect if it was published after the completion of the main text, which cannot possibly have been before 1833.)

Last edited:
Re. the Birth of René (Primevère) Lesson himself ... (earlier dealt with in post #2–7).
"Aujourd'hui premier Germinal an deuxième de la République française une et indivisible [...]"
"[...] est accouché du jourd'hui [...] d'un enfant mâle [...]"

He was born on 1 Germinal, An II = 21 Mar 1794.

(The "vingt-un ans" which is highlighted in yellow is the age of one of the witnesses.)

Also see (for example/s); here, here, here ... and/or elsewhere. :unsure:

If truly born the 21st there are quite a few amendments that ought to be done ... !?!

:oops:

If truly born the 21st there are quite a few amendments that ought to be done ... !?!

:oops:

Yes, I'm aware of this.
But I really cannot turn the birth record (which is also here, 29/34, lower right) into telling us something else.

René Primevert
Lesson
Aujourd'hui premier Germinal an deuxième de la République française une et indivisible​
à sept heure du soir
par devant moi officier public soussigné élu par la commune de Rochefort le premier Frimaire​
pour recevoir les actes à constater les naissance et sépulture de la cy-devant paroisse Notre​
Dame est comparu le Citoyen René Clément Lesson âgé de trente deux ans​
employé dans les Bureaux de la marine assisté du Citoyen André Bouchart cordier​
âgé de trente six ans et du Citoyen Pierre Bouchard propriétaire âgé de vingt neuf​
ans et de la Citoyenne Roze Chibou âgée de vingt un ans femme du Citoyen André​
Bouchard lesquels témoins m'ont déclaré que Marie Ustel [sic] Nicoleau épouse​
en légitime mariage du Citoyen Lesson est accouché du jourd'hui à midi aux lieux de leur​
domicile situé à la Cabane Carrée de cette commune d'un enfant mâle auquel​
ils lui ont donné le prénom de Renée [sic] Primevert d'après lesquelles déclarations que les​
témoins ont certifié véritables la présentation de l'enfant m'a été à l'instant faite c'est​
pourquoi j'ai rédigé le présent acte en mon domicile pour valoir et servir ce que de raison​
ce que les dits Lesson et Bouchard, et la Citoyenne Chibou ont signé avec moi de ce requis​
[...]​

This is dated to 1 Germinal, at 7 in the evening, and states unambiguously that the mother had given birth to the child on that day at midday.
I presume it's not fully inconceivable that the officer misunderstood, and that he was born on the previous day...? But I see in any case no evidence of this here.
(Note that his middle name is spelled "Primevert" in his (first) marriage (here, 36/98, left) and death (here, 71/368, upper left) records too. (As well as in Atala's birth and marriage records, which Paul attached above to post #2.) His marriage record gives his age and cites the date of his birth record -- which may (or not ?) have been his birth date. His death record only gives his age.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back