• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ouvea Parakeet site gen (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
We're hoping to get to Ouvea in the next couple of weeks or so. Does anyone know a good site for Ouvea Parakeet? Also any site gen on Large Lifou White-eye would be helpful,

Many thanks,

Larry

Bump: How did you go? I'm looking at going to Ouvea in a few months' time and am looking for site gen for this species.

cheers,

Richard Fuller (Brisbane)

the New Caledonia part starts at post # 588 (!!!) on page 24 of Larry's thread, but he never made it to Ouvea in the end (boat schedules and all that). However, apparently the parakeet isn't hard to find, you just need to ask around to find someone who knows someone who has them on his property. Having said that, I never made it to Ouvea either so I wouldn't really know.

Fantastic, thanks guys - I'm going in mid-September and will report back on how it goes. The domestic airport at Noumea is currently closed owing to protests about high fares, so not even sure yet if we'll be able to get to any of the Loyalty Islands.

cheers,

Rich

Hi -- I know this is too late for the folks posting in 2011 for Ouvea gen, but somehow I missed this earlier. If anyone wants gen on the Loyalty Islands, my husband and I have a 2008 trip report posted on Surfbirds (http://www.surfbirds.com/trip_report.php?id=1674) We visited New Cal (for 2nd time), Ouvea, Lifou and Isle of Pines as part of a cruise from Sydney to Vanuatu looking for seabirds. Saw Ouvea Parakeet well, both white-eyes on Lifou, other species. We hired cars on each island and managed to find everything pretty much by ourselves since -- as is obvious -- there isn't too much info out there! On Ouvea we first went with a local biologist to a farm where the parakeets regularly come in to feed on fruit, later we went elsewhere on our own and saw more of them rather easily. Probably lucky!

some useful tips on finding the bird on an independent trip there katahdniss,nice one for posting :t:. Too late for us (we were scuppered by the ferry schedule in the end) but hopefully will help others.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back