• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl box (2 Viewers)

Piper123

United States
Hello to all- my first post.

I used the plans from the Audubon website to build an owl box. It has been in the same location for 3 years (Spring of 2024 will be the start of year 4). Pictures are attached.

We live in an extremely quiet neighborhood with wetlands and all sorts of birds and small animals. We can hear owls but none seem to like our offering! No takers in almost 4 years!

Any advice on how to make it more attractive to them?

It is facing northeast.

Attachments

• IMG_2180.JPG
    IMG_2180.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2183.PNG
    IMG_2183.PNG
    987 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2182.JPG
    IMG_2182.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2181.JPG
    IMG_2181.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to Birdforum.

I believe tawny owls like nest boxes to be fairly secluded. I’m not sure about tawny owls, but I think most nest boxes should face east or east south.

Start the ball rolling.....do you know which species live in your neighbourhood; after that researching which of those species have been known to readily breed in artificial nests.
Different species use various styles of box, some prefer an interior offset chamber to lay their clutch of eggs whilst others prefer an enclosed "tunnel" type of entrance. Others prefer an open basket type of structure and line them with twigs and small branches.
After that, and targeting which types you hope to coax in, perhaps constructing a couple more and placing them accordingly.
Though they may not occupy or use a box for raising young, hopefully they may roost or even cache prey items.
Hope this helps, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back