• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl calls in Germany--Taunus (2 Viewers)

Tom St

Recording made on 20th June 2023 about an hour after sunset in the Taunus region.

Some nights in the past week, I heard a nocturnal bird give a series of calls. One night, I managed to record the final two calls in a series (see attached audio file). I know it's not a great recording, but it's all I could get.

What could it be?

Attachments

• owl_cut_amplified.wav
    977.6 KB
I don‘t think there are many large gulls here in the Weil valley. 😄 Also, it sounded like the bird was stationary, not flying over.

Haha 😄 I will keep that rule in mind. There are Tawny Owls in the vicinity, I hear them frequently. What puzzled me about the calls in question is that I could not make them into Tawny Owl ‚kew-wick‘ calls. I can in the recording shared by you. I was thinking of Little Owl (like this one XC456728 Little Owl (Athene noctua)), but I don‘t know if those even occur here. If I can manage a better recording, I will post it here.

What puzzled me about the calls in question is that I could not make them into Tawny Owl ‚kew-wick‘ calls.
There's no reason why you should expect to: different calls are different calls, and any one call from a given species may well not sound anything like that species' other calls.

On 23rd June, the owl was singing instead of calling (see attached). I didn't get around to uploading sooner. It is a Little Owl. Thank you all for your input on an admittedly bad recording!

Attachments

• owl_2_cut_amplified.wav
    4.4 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back