• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl id - North Carolina (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

I thought this would fairly easy but I’ve only gotten some uncertain opinions so far. Taken by a trail camera so pics not ready for magazine cover!
Thanks in advance!

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpeg
    IMG_0180.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0179.jpeg
    IMG_0179.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
Looks like a Barred Owl. Might be wrong.

(Consider signing one of the petitions against a cull of >0.5m individuals in Western US throughout the next 30 years.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240217-212159_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20240217-212159_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    652.1 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for the replies. I agree with Barred Owl. The other option, at least most likely option, would be Great-horned Owl, not uncommon here in western NC. But the bill is light not dark like the GHOW. The bands on the chest become vertical streaks below the upper chest whereas the Great-horned Owl barring goes down to the legs. The tail barring is broadly banded whereas the photos I can find on the web show the GHOW as broad light bands with narrow dark bands.
I am discounting the tiny knobs that one person thought might be ear tufts. They are too small for a mature Great-horned, it’s too early for young birds and I don’t think the Great-horned can lay its ear tufts down flat.
I was hoping for confirmation as this would be the first Barred Owl here in 30 plus years of birding on our property! Heard and seen plenty elsewhere in the US but entirely unexpected here, especially sitting on top of a Screech Owl box. We were out of the country at the time so missed any chance of it calling. Wish I’d had the camera on video mode but the camera eats up batteries. As it was, there were over 200 photos in 15 days of capture.
Thanks again for the opinions given-

Steve

Again, I might be wrong here, but I think the sparseish vertical belly barring (plus general silhouette) should be diagnostic of Barred Owl in the East.

Yes, it's an interesting read indeed. This particular fragment starts with It was 13 May 1984, a calm evening with clear sky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back