• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl Webcams 2010 (1 Viewer)

Cosworthlady

Seeing as the owls have got a growing fan club its about time they got their own thread. Will post a link when i get on the pc. We.re following the British Owl Trust owlets in Cornwall and barn owl chicks in California.

on the usa nest - Bruces - there are a lot a bees around about. The chicks look very warm. Night time must be a relief for them.

Ann, thank you so much for looking in on the Brucies during (their) nighttime. I'll bet you're right - - when they get a little older, their manners will disappear and we'll hear a lot more hissing and rasping. Right now they're just too darned little and clumsy to be tooooo bad yet.

Thank you, too, Nick for looking in on "the grotto." I've always wondered what went on there at night so now I have a little better idea.

It's only in the last few days that mum owl has stopped spending her daytime snoozing and napping with the owlets. She must certainly be nearby, though.

The Wallies (good name, Ann!) are all quiet at the moment, too. There are all three of them there, right??!!??

i.ve not checked on the wallies but i certainly heard them lol. There were 3 this afternoon so fingers crossed they.re still there. As for the Bruces I didn't see many food drops last night. It was lovely seeing mum feeding them last night although i didn't catch the smallest one getting anything. I think they night be two weeks behind. Oh no the wallies have woke up. Practice flights in the box. :-O

Another thread tokeep up with. Slept in this morning first tiime for years and could not look in on 'Brucies'. What time did you see them getting fed Ann?

i think it was about half ten Tom. The parent bird tore the mouse apart to feed the chicks. The big one looks much bigger than the small one.

Oh well would have been at woirk anyway. Just saw Bruce F in a telly advert and OK I do see where you are coming from :)
See our one is still bobbing in and out the box.

I'm trying to find some info on when the Wallies were hatched so we can compare them with the hatch dates for the Brucies.

In the Barn Owl Trust daily diary, I found so far:

"(July) 9th - yesterday we ringed the owlets with BTO rings, and additionally colour-ringed them as follows;

Youngest owlet, female
Left leg - BTO ring below, 1 blue ring above
Right leg - 2 blue rings

Middle owlet, female
Left leg - BTO ring only
Right leg - 2 blue rings

Eldest owlet, female
Left leg - BTO ring
Right leg - 1 blue ring"

The Wallies are ALL girls!!!! :gh: :gh: :gh: Such shocking, ruffian behavior, not befitting young ladies! harrumph.

Will get back to y'all if/when I find the hatch dates.

Okay, hatch dates for the Wallies:

" (June) 1st - confirmation that all of the eggs have hatched came this morning at 10.50am as the adult female got up for a stretch and 3 owlets appeared from underneath her! We also noticed her feeding one of them around midday.

" (May) 29th - the second owlet hatched last night, at approximately 8pm. If anyone has an accurate idea of the time please let us know at [email protected].

" (May) 28th - the female was first seen feeding the owlet at about 10.30pm last night just after the male had copulated with her. Both parents are in the nestbox today, with the male eating a cached food item at 10.20am.

" (May) 27th - first egg hatched some time between 10.00 and 10.30am this morning. The owlet is already making characteristic high-pitched begging calls and the female is responding with her chittering calls."

And the Brucies were hatched:

"Egg 1 Laid 05/21/10 08:00 - Hatched 06/21/10 3:00
Egg 2 Laid 05/23/10 09:00 - Hatched 06/23/10 8:48
Egg 3 Laid 05/25/10 13:00 - Hatched 06/25/10 7:00
Egg 4 Laid 05/28/10 16:00 - Didn’t hatch"

So there's a good 3-1/2 weeks difference . . . almost 4 weeks.

that big wallie is sitting in the doorway of the box just waiting for a food drop. The other two are huddled up together facing the wall with the hole in it. Hope they get some food tonight.

that big wallie is sitting in the doorway of the box just waiting for a food drop. The other two are huddled up together facing the wall with the hole in it. Hope they get some food tonight.

I saw that! That little food-hog has it all figured out. She's even just about completely blocking the door opening so her sisters can't get any! Wish the two still inside would pull her back into the box by her tailfeathers!!!

worked for her last night better when she was along the ledge a bit but watching in hope of seeing it this time.

Well it worked again and at least I saw it this time. Few minutes earlier though the insiders were jumping up and pushing the door blocker away so I guess they are getting hungry as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back