• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic LX5 a new contender for Digiscoping ? (3 Viewers)

Another thing with the LX5 is its disappointing continuous shooting capabilities. 2.5 frames/sec is passable but you only get a max of 3 in Fine and 5 in Standard.

In contrast, the Canon S95 will carry on until your card is full, albeit it at a slightly slower rate of 1.8 frames/sec (I think).

I tested the freshly arrived LX5 with my Swarovski ST 80 HD and zoom ocular 20-60x today.

By a lucky coincidence the adapter which was made especially for my good and old Nikon 8400 (with filter adapter UR-E14) fits very well to the LX5 (with filter adapter DMW-LA6), so easily a direct comparison with my 8400 was possible.

All photos were taken inside and downsized to 25 %, the stuffed Nuthatch was placed in a distance of 8 m and illuminated by an energy-saving lamp.
White balance was set to auto, no autofocus was used (camera focusing was set to manual at infinity distance), the image focusing was made manual at the scope (Swarovski zoom at 20x) and controlled with the camera lcd-screens (not the viewfinder).

The LX5 showed an image quality similar to the 8400 at wide angle 24 mm (LX5-wide-10MP-25%).
But how disappointing, there was vignetting with tele zoom 90 mm (LX5-tele-10MP-25%)!
Of course with the 8400 and tele zoom 85 mm no vignetting is shown (N8400-tele-8MP-25%).

But thankworthy the LX5 offers a lot of zoom settings:
The option "Extra Optical Zoom" uses only the inner pixels of the CCD-area. With 7 MP instead of 10 MP there was only little vignetting, with 5 MP vignetting disappeared.
For explanation see http://www.panasonic.com.pa/micrositios/lumix/popup/extra_optical_zoom/index2.html
Additional there is a mysterious "i.Zoom"-setting which increases the zoom magnification by 1.3x "...without noticeable deterioration...".
There is no vignetting with "i.Zoom" and "Extra Optical Zoom" set to 7 MP (see photos LX5-wide-7MP-25% and LX5-tele-7MP-25%).

Today higher scope zoom levels than 20x weren't possible because of the low light conditions. In the next days I am testing the LX5 under birdwatching conditions, the today's results sound promising (using a 10 MP camera as a 7MP camera is not a problem for me). Main questions: Will it be faster than the 8400 and beat it at higher ISO?

Rainer

Attachments

• LX5-tele-7MP-25%.jpg
    LX5-tele-7MP-25%.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 564
  • LX5-tele-10MP-25%.jpg
    LX5-tele-10MP-25%.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 316
  • LX5-wide-7MP-25%.jpg
    LX5-wide-7MP-25%.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 294
  • LX5-wide-10MP-25%.jpg
    LX5-wide-10MP-25%.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 269
  • N8400-tele-8MP-25%.jpg
    N8400-tele-8MP-25%.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 509
Reply to Den's question i.e. ...getting a digiscoping camera and a Leica Adapter 4 to fit on my Apo82.....will the Panasonic LX5 just screw onto the adapter without modification and work ok?

The LX5 will not screw directly into the adaptor however there is a very simple solution to this. See the following string: "Panasonic Lumix LX5 Digiscoping Leica Televid 82 Adaptor D-Lux4" also on birdforum. This will provide the detail you require.

Hi Den,

I don't recommend Lx5 to be used for beginner in digiscoping. The adapter ring ( including the original made by Panasonic or those made from the third party ) in the market is too long, making too serious vignetting. The adapter ring needs modification. As a beginner, I would recommend a Nikon P6000.

CW

CW

Was thinking about buying Lx5 but camera warehouse said that the conversion lens adapter was not strong enough to attach the Lx5 to a spotting scope eyepiece. Are you using the standard Panasonic adapter please?

finno

CW

Was thinking about buying Lx5 but camera warehouse said that the conversion lens adapter was not strong enough to attach the Lx5 to a spotting scope eyepiece. Are you using the standard Panasonic adapter please?

finno

Hi Finno,

Strength of the lens adapter of both the original or those made from third party is no problem as the Lx5 itslef is very light weight. However, those adapters from the market are too long, as a result, serious vignetting occures throughout the zoom range. A special made adapter of shorter length is required for satisfactory result.

Please see the following path for my setup, I use a DCA to connect the adapter ring(tube) and my scope.

http://images4.fotop.net/albums2/cwchan/digiscope/DSCN3112_212_copy.jpg

Last edited:
tube adapter lumix lx5

Hi Finno,

Strength of the lens adapter of both the original or those made from third party is no problem as the Lx5 itslef is very light weight. However, those adapters from the market are too long, as a result, serious vignetting occures throughout the zoom range. A special made adapter of shorter length is required for satisfactory result.

Please see the following path for my setup, I use a DCA to connect the adapter ring(tube) and my scope.

http://images4.fotop.net/albums2/cwchan/digiscope/DSCN3112_212_copy.jpg

hi .Is the optimal sice on tube between lumix lx5 and the swar.dca still 23mm.?Im new in this and would appriciate some Help/info. Were did you get the special tube made (camera shop)And is it 46mm in camera end and 52mm inthe other ?I got the 25 -50w eyepiece. Christian

Hi- is the best lenth of the tube still 23mm,with 46 and 52 in the ends.im trying the same setup ,but wander were to get it made-camera shop ?? Christian

CW

finno

Finno,
Have a look at the Vortex PS100. This allows the camera lens to get very close to the eyepiece to minimise vignetting. Works with small digiscams up to the Nikon P6000. It works a treat with the Ricoh GX100 which has a tricky lens like the LX3.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...t-for-razor-and-viper-digital-camera-adapters

Neil

Hi Neil-Thanks, but i allready got the swar.dca. I would like to get a tube connection,between the dc and the dca just like cwchan.Maybe" just" use some stepping rings.But maybe it will be hard too get ex the 23mm he recoments.

I have read so many of your great treads ,that my wife got angry and my eyes went Marty Feltmann style lol Christian

Hi Neil-Thanks, but i allready got the swar.dca. I would like to get a tube connection,between the dc and the dca just like cwchan.Maybe" just" use some stepping rings.But maybe it will be hard too get ex the 23mm he recoments.

I have read so many of your great treads ,that my wife got angry and my eyes went Marty Feltmann style lol Christian

It's relatively easy to get these tubes made in Hong Kong and I had some made for my Canons G6/A640/A650. They cost me about 50 pounds a few years ago. If you have access to a machine shop it is possible to have one cut down and then glue a filter thread to it.
The Vortex PS100 is about US$50 and will do a good job as you can change the zoom range. You will have to shade it out in the sun to stop stray light entering the lens though. Although if you pull the DCA outer ring out a few mms the camera lens will be shaded.
What ever you do don't upset the wife or there'll be no more little pieces of kit for you.
Neil.

To answer OCL's question.
My connection tube was modified by a local mechanics in Hong Kong by using a M43/M46 ring and a M43/M52 connection tube. Instead of using glue, as Neil did, my one was threaded after cutting in order to provide secure connection to the M43/M46 ring. I wish this could help.

CW

Lx5 adapter.jpg

Last edited:
Lx5-light in the end of the tube !

Thanks alot for the help!That images was just what i needed.I ask the best camera dude ,how much its gonna cost .But the glueing part is great too.a little 2k epoxy glue is really tuff. christian

To answer some digiscoper's question, I attach here my LX-5 setup for reference. ;)

Attachments

• DSCN6230_copy.jpg
    DSCN6230_copy.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 399
  • DSCN9458.jpg
    DSCN9458.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 380
  • DSCN9459.jpg
    DSCN9459.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 417
  • Lx5 adapter.jpg
    Lx5 adapter.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 286
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back