• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Pantanal bird # 1 (1 Viewer)

rosmo01

Morten Ross
Norway
Donacobius atricapilla

What species is this?

Brazilian Pantanal, nesting in thicket by a river.

Attachments

• 20131112-DSC_8659a.jpg
    20131112-DSC_8659a.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Donacobius atricapilla does not have white on head nor does the pictured have the yellow iris of atricapilla.

Juveniles and adults in the SW Brazil does have white in head (according to the Brazil field guide I looked at yesterday - van Perlo).

Niels

My source is Wildlife Conservation Society's Birds of Brazil - The Pantanal Cerrado of Central Brazil, and it's not mentioning any white, nor a brown iris - it's clear on yellow iris. The same goes for The Birds of Ecuador (vol 2)...
So at what age does the iris turn yellow and the head black?

I have just added this info to the opus page for Donacobius

Please upload this image, we do not have a photo of a bird with eye line in the gallery

Niels

Yes I definitely think you're right regarding Donacobius atricapilla albovittatus! Thanks!

I also saw the lynxeds image, but I didn't notice ssp albovittatus.
Their range overlap, so how to know which is which?

Very interesting there are so few confirmed juvenile photos, and none regarding the yellow iris missing in juves.

Image uploaded.

From 'Birds of South America Passerines' by Robert S. Ridgely and Guy Tudor:
"In Bolivia has a narrow white postocular streak, as do juveniles throughout range." page 526

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back