• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parrot/Red crossbill female? Bymarka, Trondheim, Norway (1 Viewer)

maj.sujan

birdblog.majsujan
Norway
Only saw one from quite far away. I'm assuming that this one is a parrot crossbill based on the green color. Asking for confirmation and more info on how to identify them.
DSC_9178-Edit.jpg

I would be saying Common for the two images of the red bird.......the bill is too small and doesn't go up to the crown, doesn't look bull necked enough for Parrot. There are too many identifyingfeatures that a good field guide will cover rather than a lengthy post here. Also listen to the differentiating calls on xento-canto.

Last edited:
I would be saying Common for the two images of the red bird.......the bill is too small and doesn't go up to the crown, doesn't look bull necked enough for Parrot. There are too many identifyingfeatures that a good field guide will cover rather than a lengthy post here. Also listen to the differentiating calls on xento-canto.
Thanks! My go to identification guide is Merlin app when I'm out to see/photograph birds. But as I'm seeing many discussions here, I'm realising that the app doesn't really cover that much info. Local booklets are in Norwegian and I'm not so fluent yet.
Is there any other website/book that you'd recommend?
I didn't really hear any song or call on both instances as they were very far away.

It's a process, quite slow for me but I'm trying to learn more. I have been identifying birds using the Merlin app since I started last November, it worked okay for about 135 species. I may have missed a few more because I didn't know what to look for and the bird was gone within a few seconds. My go to person for any birding related questions is DocDuck, and that's about it. As I'm not fluent in Norwegian, other than checking off new species once in a while, I haven't learned much from the group that I sometimes go birding with.
I will try to find a good field guide for Norwegian birds (in English).
EDIT: I will buy Collins and Lars Jonsson guides.

Last edited:
As mentioned, a Field Guide should be the way forward, all of us "old school" birdwatchers have amassed many field guides and monographs over the last 50 years and spent every spare moment reading and studying them. The Collins remains one of the very best in the present era whereby the observer subsequently identifies the subject through knowledge and experience not some techno piece of gadgetry. I'm sure you'll enjoy the challenge and subsequent satisfaction.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back