• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Particularly Memorable Bird Sightings (1 Viewer)

Drumming Sniper

You'm not from 'round 'ere, boy!
A few years back I wanted to see a Hoopoe. That is to say; I really, REALLY wanted to see a Hoopoe!!! Having dipped on three of the little blighters I convinced myself that the bird was a creature of myth and legend, a member of that pantheon of imaginary beasties which includes the Griffin and the Phoenix. I swore that never again would I go chasing after a Hoopoe. They DID NOT exist and that was that!

And then, one November day, it happened. A quick glance at Birdguides did the damage. A Hoopoe had turned up in an Oxfordshire village and was "showing well on the village green". I had the day off work and had planned to carry out some much-needed work on my (t)rusty Volvo. A spanner had now been well-and-truly thrown into the works. What to do? I paced up and down. I re-read the report. I beat upon the walls with my fists. And then, showing a strength of will worthy of a Spartan, I made a decision. I would not be lured into the trap. I would work on the car as planned. The bird was a figment of someone's over-active imagination. Just like Messrs. Daltrey and Townsend,I would not be fooled again!

By early afternoon my work on the car was done. I had a leisurely lunch and then decided to check Birdguides "just in case". The bird was still there. Five minutes later I was in the car and heading east as if pursued by The Banshee herself.

I found the village easily enough. The village green was surrounded by houses of the type normally seen in your average episode of Midsomer Murders. It was an attractive setting however repeated scanning failed to produce any evidence of a Hoopoe-esque presence. Equally worrying was the complete lack of other birders. Did everybody know something I didn't? And then, just as panic began to build, inspiration struck. Adjoining the village green was the village pub. Perhaps someone inside might have some information regarding the strange avian visitor.

Upon entering the aforementioned hostelry I was greeted by a plethora of wooden beams and a roaring fire. The place was devoid of patrons save for a couple sitting by the fire. On the table, next to their drinks, I espied a brace of Swarovski ELs. Things were looking up. In response to my enquiries I was instructed to knock at the door of a particular house. For the price of a contribution to the church roof repair fund I would be allowed into the back garden which was where the mythical one had taken to feeding. Thanking the couple profusely I headed off. Surely all would now be plain sailing.

Unfortunately it wasn't. I found the house and knocked on the door. Nothing happened. I knocked again. Nothing. I tried a third time and still no response. Enough was enough! Stealthily I padded around the side of the house. As I approached the rear of the property I noticed a lawned area to my left. Might this be where my efforts finally bore fruit? Nope. This area too was a Hoopoe-free zone. At this point I became aware of another lawned area to my right. Slowly I turned around. In the middle of the lawn, feeding happily, was a black, white and pink bird. Stealthily I raised my bins. The bird was everything I had hoped for; a thing of beauty, no longer a mythical being. I was ecstatic.

I sensed movement at my elbow. The lady of the house had appeared. I began to explain that I had tried knocking at the front door but my apologies were brushed aside. "Would you like to come inside?" she enquired. "You can get a much better view from in there". For the briefest of moments I hesitated. Thoughts of a "Confessions Of A Birder" or "Carry On Birding" nature flashed through my brain but the opportunity was too good to turn down. I followed the lady inside and was ushered along a long hallway. I climbed over a pile of slumbering spaniels and labradors and found myself looking out of a small window. Seven feet away the Hoopoe (or "Mott" as I now fondly thought of him/her) carried on feeding. I enjoyed stunning views until, in a sudden explosion of black and white wings the bird launched into the air and was gone. Fantastic!!!

I thanked the homeowner profusely and happily made my contribution to the church roof fund. I had finally caught up with my ornithological heart's desire in truly memorable fashion.

Has anybody else really struggled to see a particular species before finally catching up with the bird under slightly unusual circumstances?

Great story, it has the air of a pigrimage tale about it.

For me, a couple of years ago, seeing my first Crossbills in Glendalough. Was just admiring the stunning scenery on a July day when found myself surrounded by the little bell-like calls and pink birds whirring from tree to tree. It was a lovely way to observe a species for the first time.

And to cap it all, a female Redstart dipped out of a bush in front of me onto the path. Another first (they're uncommon and local in Ireland) within the same few seconds.

Since I had to tell someone, went to the park head office and reported it there. The warden on duty was friendly and, it has to be said, an attractive young lady who was genuinely pleased to hear about both species on her turf.

One of the good days...

Last edited:
My most memorable bird sighting was when I was about 11 or 12 years old or so ( I started birding when I was 9). I was in Berkeley and the bird in question was a female Long-Tailed Duck (Oldsquaw). There were people from the local audobon society and bird clubs there who could not figure out what it was. I told them and after flipping through their books, they agreed in astonishment. I was never credited for this find which I believe was a first for Berkeley and perhaps San Francisco bay. I did get credit for a Tufted Duck in Oakland one winter.

What a fabulous read Drumming Sniper. I really enjoyed it :t:

My own experience of seeing the mythical Hoopoe happened in October 2005 when an adult bird was present at Boulmer for a few days. It took me two attempts to see it and when I did it was just a quick view through a scope but it was pretty exotic ;) I'm looking forward to the day when I see one in close up like your own - that must be an awesome moment!

My must-see bird was Spoonbill. We usually get one or two every spring (around about now actually!) and I dipped out in both 2004 AND 2005 - the latter by just twenty minutes!!! :-C
So I was determined to catch up with the species in 2006!

I work in a newsagents so am at work very early *5.30am for my sins LOL* but finish at 2pm so can often squeeze in an hour or so's birding each day. Anyway, last year on May 8th I'd done my normal shift and escaped at 1pm. It was a glorious hot sunny day and I thought I would do a bit of gardening instead of going birding (I had a number of young plants that really needed to be put into the ground and I'd been neglecting them because I'd been out birding instead!). But first of all I decided to have a cuppa to chill out and switched on the laptop to check out the Northumbrian thread on BF. Fatal mistake!!!!!! I saw that there had been a Spoonbill at Druridge Bay just ONE HOUR earlier :eek!:
Forgetting the plants I grabbed bins and scope, scribbled a note to hubby Neil saying I was going for a Spoonbill and 'should' be back by 5pm (he was upstairs asleep as he does nightshift) and jumped into the car!!!
Druridge Bay is only five/six miles from where I live so normally takes about fifteen minutes or so to get to......except THIS day every large slow-moving juggernaut had decided to take the road down to my turn off!!! There I was, having a mini nervous breakdown and screaming abuse (spoonbill rage?) about the bird flying off before I got there and there's the infernal lorry drivers just driving as though it were a Sunday afternoon and there's all the time in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :storm:
But ~ eventually ~ I arrived at my site and, shaking with nerves, I grabbed my scope and legged it to the Budge Hide.
And there he was....in all his snowy perfection! For the next hour I drank in his beauty and did a few sketches and, for me, life was at it's most perfect at that particular moment in time! :cool:
Not only had I caught up with the one species that I had dreamt of for so long but it was also a warm sunny day with not a breath of wind, I had Orange Tip butterflies all around me, Ladies Smock & Garlic Mustard in bloom (first ones I'd recorded that year) and then I was joined by a fellow birder who I chatted to whilst we both enjoyed the bird. I was absolutely over the moon at getting this wonderful Lifer and it was as beautiful as I had imagined :t: And then...my second Lifer in an hour...a Grasshopper Warbler started reeling just yards behind us! He wasn't showing, no matter how hard we looked, but he was the cherry on top of the icing B :) Fabulous day............and I even got home to cook Neil's dinner by 5.15pm - only 15 minutes late which is a record for me LOL

My next target bird? I've got a few as I'm aiming for the Big 200 this year (Life List is currently 187) and hoping to pick up a few local birds that have eluded me - Red Grouse, Ring Ouzel, Red Kite and, if I could be really greedy, I wouldn't say no to a Little Egret this year :cool: Nor a Golden Eagle (need to pop over to Haweswater) or Avocet.

It would be nice to reach my goal but if I don't then so be it.....there's always next year! :cool:

a female Redstart dipped out of a bush in front of me onto the path....................went to the park head office and reported it there. The warden on duty was friendly and...an attractive young lady who was genuinely pleased to hear about both species.

You saw the female Redstart on the path in Glendalough, Pianoman? Brilliant! I´d love to get a sight of them that didn´t involve staring up into the stratosphere. And what´s this about attractive female wardens there? For God´s sake suppress that information at once or the place will be crawling with birders with all kinds of stringy reports!;)

What a fabulous read Drumming Sniper. I really enjoyed it :t:

My own experience of seeing the mythical Hoopoe happened in October 2005 when an adult bird was present at Boulmer for a few days. It took me two attempts to see it and when I did it was just a quick view through a scope but it was pretty exotic ;) I'm looking forward to the day when I see one in close up like your own - that must be an awesome moment!

My must-see bird was Spoonbill. We usually get one or two every spring (around about now actually!) and I dipped out in both 2004 AND 2005 - the latter by just twenty minutes!!! :-C
So I was determined to catch up with the species in 2006!

I work in a newsagents so am at work very early *5.30am for my sins LOL* but finish at 2pm so can often squeeze in an hour or so's birding each day. Anyway, last year on May 8th I'd done my normal shift and escaped at 1pm. It was a glorious hot sunny day and I thought I would do a bit of gardening instead of going birding (I had a number of young plants that really needed to be put into the ground and I'd been neglecting them because I'd been out birding instead!). But first of all I decided to have a cuppa to chill out and switched on the laptop to check out the Northumbrian thread on BF. Fatal mistake!!!!!! I saw that there had been a Spoonbill at Druridge Bay just ONE HOUR earlier :eek!:
Forgetting the plants I grabbed bins and scope, scribbled a note to hubby Neil saying I was going for a Spoonbill and 'should' be back by 5pm (he was upstairs asleep as he does nightshift) and jumped into the car!!!
Druridge Bay is only five/six miles from where I live so normally takes about fifteen minutes or so to get to......except THIS day every large slow-moving juggernaut had decided to take the road down to my turn off!!! There I was, having a mini nervous breakdown and screaming abuse (spoonbill rage?) about the bird flying off before I got there and there's the infernal lorry drivers just driving as though it were a Sunday afternoon and there's all the time in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :storm:
But ~ eventually ~ I arrived at my site and, shaking with nerves, I grabbed my scope and legged it to the Budge Hide.
And there he was....in all his snowy perfection! For the next hour I drank in his beauty and did a few sketches and, for me, life was at it's most perfect at that particular moment in time! :cool:
Not only had I caught up with the one species that I had dreamt of for so long but it was also a warm sunny day with not a breath of wind, I had Orange Tip butterflies all around me, Ladies Smock & Garlic Mustard in bloom (first ones I'd recorded that year) and then I was joined by a fellow birder who I chatted to whilst we both enjoyed the bird. I was absolutely over the moon at getting this wonderful Lifer and it was as beautiful as I had imagined :t: And then...my second Lifer in an hour...a Grasshopper Warbler started reeling just yards behind us! He wasn't showing, no matter how hard we looked, but he was the cherry on top of the icing B :) Fabulous day............and I even got home to cook Neil's dinner by 5.15pm - only 15 minutes late which is a record for me LOL

My next target bird? I've got a few as I'm aiming for the Big 200 this year (Life List is currently 187) and hoping to pick up a few local birds that have eluded me - Red Grouse, Ring Ouzel, Red Kite and, if I could be really greedy, I wouldn't say no to a Little Egret this year :cool: Nor a Golden Eagle (need to pop over to Haweswater) or Avocet.

It would be nice to reach my goal but if I don't then so be it.....there's always next year! :cool:

Thanks Gill, glad you enjoyed my Hoopoe saga. Glad you got your Spoonbill. Reading the part where you mention the warm, sunny weather and butterflies reminded me that the day of the Hoopoe quest was a typically blustery November day with small flocks of Redwings and Fieldfares foraging around the village - not really classic "Hoopoe conditions" but all the more memorable for it.

Hope you get to the 200 mark this year. I went to Haweswater to have a squint at the eagle the week before last and he was performing like a real star. Best of luck with it.

DS

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back