• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Passerine? Falcon? Bath, England (1 Viewer)

Charlie Spencer

United States
May 27, 2023. Northeast of Bath between the River Avon and the Kennet & Avon canal. Clear, warm day with light wind.

Other than passerine or falcon, I don't have much of a guess. I fired off a shot at the distant perched bird. Someone in the group probably identified it but I was overwhelmed with new birds and can't match the photo to my checklist. I'm pretty sure it IS on my list, and that there's on lifer on the line here.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• DSC07004.JPG
    DSC07004.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 149
Hello Charlie,

any more pictures?

Until then, I agree with Bewick: it might well be a Spotted Flycatcher

Only judging from colouration, the other contender is a Lesser Whitethroat (and yes, just within variation for a Robin, although the majority even worn/faded now are browner). Tail/Wing ratio and appearant long pp is better for Spotted Flycatcher and wrong for Lesser Whitethroat if real.

At first I gort the feeling of a large bird here too (that would make this a Sparrowhawk imo, but tail seems to short and not full enough), but the quiz birds made me realize once more, that I am often wrong here. And: thanks Butty again!

Spot fly or possibly mistle thrush would potentially fit - both have the requisite long primary projection and the bird shows a hint of a white outer tail feather. Very different sized birds, but hard to judge this without at least knowing what species of tree it's sitting in - alder possibly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back