• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pathos, Cyprus 09/11/2012 - 16/11/2012 (1 Viewer)

NAB

This was my first visit to Cyprus, primarily it was a holiday with my wife prior to me starting a new job. Fortunately My wife enjoys casual birding and is happy to explore, so all boded well for some good birding within reason.

During the days before we departed, I'd been keeping my eye on the Cyprus Birdlife website, recent sightings page; however it tended to be a week out of date, and there were no updates between 25/10 and 13/11. I also tried ringing the Cyprus Birdline number before we flew out, but it just rang out! Fortunately I noticed on Birdforum that Wolfbirder was visiting Paphos the previous week, so I PM'd him asking for any pointers? Wolfbirder replied directing me to his own trip report which he'd posted on Birdforum, and it proved to be most useful, with some of the following mirroring his report.

My first trip was to Anarita Park on Saturday in search of a wintering male Finsch's Wheatear, but it soon became clear this was going to be a none starter as the locals were out in force hunting Chuckar! We left the area and I planned to return a couple of days later, when hopefully it would be much quieter?

The following morning I left the apartment at 06:30 AM and made the short drive to Pathos Headland in search of 4 wintering Greater Sandplover, the plan being to connect with the birds before the hordes of walkers flushed them. Fortunately they were easy to connect with and gave excellent views in the scope at around 100 meters range, this being my first lifer of the trip! Other birds encountered on the headland included Golden Plover (4), single Lapwing and Whimbrel, whilst on the landward side Stonechat (abundant), Black Redstart, Kestrel, Hooded Crow and many finches (Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Linnets) were encountered.

After breakfast we headed to Limassol, where the only birds noted en route were a single Alpine Swift and several Kestrels. After exploring Limassol (not recommended) and having a late afternoon lunch, we headed to Akrotiri Salt Lake, approaching on the main road to Akrotiri, where unfortunately time wasn't on our side, with it going dark around 16:45. We took the obvious road/track (left turn by a restaurant) which skirts the lake down to a large area of sand flats, where we encountered around 20 Kentish Plover and several Little Stints. At this point and as the light was beginning to fade, we headed back along the track/road to a view point by the restaurant /road junction. Although the lake is still rather distant from here, I was able to scope the 9000 or so Greater Flamingo, along with several Black-winged Stilt and a Ring-tailed Hen Harrier which was hunting the marsh. Other birds encountered in the fading light included several Corn Buntings and a Shrike species which I didn't get enough on to id?

On Monday we headed north to Polis (mw wife's choice) where en route a quick stop was made to scope a Long-legged Buzzard which was hovering over a nearby field. After exploring Polis where both Yellow-legged and Mediterranean Gulls were seen, we headed to Eyretou Reservoir, where a short stroll across the Dam head revealed 2 Cormorants and several Moorhen (the only birds on the lake). Other birds encounterd in the surrounding scrub included Sardinian Warbler, Cettis Warbler, Serin and yet more Stonechats and Black Redstarts. A flock of 150+ Jackdaws was also noticed in the distance.

My wife's plan for Tuesday was sunbathing, so I set the alarm for 06:00 AM and again headed to Anarita Park. Access was off the B6, taking the turning for Agia Varvara; follow this road under the A6, passing Agia Varvara on your left and continue until you come to the Refuge truck yard on your right. Several hundred yards beyond here is a track on your right, which you take to access Anarita Park (no signs stating as such). As per Wolfbirders directions I followed the track until I came to an obvious plateau area, with a scruffy looking small holding high on your left (mostly made of corrugated metal). I parked here and walked up the track on the left to a smaller plateau area where after 10 minutes or so, I heard a Wheatear type call and on raising the binoculars I was greeted by a stunning male Fincsh's Wheatear (lifer number 2)! I scoped the bird for 5 minutes or so, when it suddenly became agitated and went into full song as another male appeared just a few meters to its right. It quickly chased the intruder away before flying down towards me and landing on a rock no more than 5 meters away from where I was standing - awesome!

In general the whole area was alive with birds and as I walked back to the car, I encountered Woodlark (6), numerous finch flocks, Corn Buntings, Zitting Cisticola, Sardinian Warblers and the inevitable Stonechats. From here my plan was to head for Mandria Fields, where I basically just followed my nose east (at the track junction, turn left taking the steep uphill track, then right passing a water tank before going downhill), eventually arriving at Anarita, where birds en route included Crested Larks, Magpies, Sparrowhawk, Kestrels and a stunning male Merlin which dashed through a nearby olive grove! From Anarita I headed south to Timi, and just before again joining the B6 east bound, I noticed 2 large birds slowly gaining height on the early morning thermals. I jumped out of the car and scoped the birds which turned out to be an adult and juvenile Common Crane!

After joining the B6 east, I took the right hand turning for Mandria and followed the road through to the new developments on the seaward side. This proved tricky but after a few wrong turns and dead ends, I found myself on a track heading towards the sea, with some small holdings/greenhouses on my right. I followed the track to a fork by the sea, where I became aware that one particular weedy field to my right was full of pipits and larks, and as I set up the scope I noticed the calls of a couple of Red-throated pipits in amongst the 40 or so Skylarks and Meadow Pipits. After a few minutes of scanning the field with my scope, I'd managed to connect with a 1st winter Red-throated pipit, which showed its obvious white mantle stripes. I continued to scan the area until a Sparrowhawk flushed everything from the field, so at this point I took the track back to Mandria, where both male and female Hen Harrier came into view as they mobbed each other low over a nearby field, before heading off in different directions. Other species encountered included Chuckar, Crested Lark, Zitting Cisticola, White Wagtail, Grey Wagtail and a single Spanish Sparrow.

On Wednesday we headed to Avakas Gorge, not so much for the birds but for the walk and spectacular views of the gorge (highly recommended!) Unfortunately the dreamed off wintering Wallcreeper wasn't at home, and the only other birds encountered were single Wren, Blackcap, Grey Wagtail and many Robins. The beach parking area was also full of the usual Stonechats, Black Restarts and Crested Larks.

Thursday morning found me heading back to Akrotiri Salt Lake, and this time I exited the A6 at junction 29, following the signs to Limassol Port/Docks. Eventually you come to a roundabout at the port entrance where I followed the signs for Lady's Mile. After crossing a causeway and reaching the Ocean Beach bar, I turned right onto Lady's mile and immediately stopped to scope several hundred gulls which were roosting on the pool. The flock was mostly made up of Black-headed Gulls, along with a single 1W Mediterranean Gull, 4 Adult Yellow-legged Gulls and a 1W Caspian Gull. From here I continued down Lady's Mile track, but all the pools to my right were completely devoid of birds, so I decided to checkout the the short scrub areas bordering the sea shore. Within a few minutes I'd picked out the hoped for Spectacled Warblers, seeing 2 birds with relative ease (Lifer number 3).

At the end of Lady's Mile, I drove straight across the sand flats (only after watching others do it safely first), arriving at the end of the track/road which I driven along earlier in the week. At this point there are two gates which I believe allow access to Bishops Pool (noted birding spot); however as with earlier in the week they were padlocked shut. I again followed the track/road to the restaurant/road junction viewing point, where I stopped to eat my packed lunch. Birds seen in addition to the Flamingos included 2 Female Marsh Harriers, and a juvenile Common Crane.

After lunch I headed North towards Kolossi (passing the many radio masts), and turned left at the sign for the Cat Sanctuary. Passing the sanctuary, a short distance on, there is a right turn on a bend with a 'No Through Road' sign, I turned here and then immediately left, heading for the Fassouri Reed Beds, where I basically just followed this road to the coast, ignoring the many turn offs. The route was surrounded by some tall dense reed beds, but overall the land was dry with no visible pools of water. On arriving at the sea, I'd not seen a single bird along this route, plus noticed a local idiot with a shotgun who appeared to be shooting at anything that moved in the beach scrub, I therefore turned around and followed the track back to where I started; fortunately luck was on my side, as a Black Francolin flew across the road in front of the car, and landed, pausing briefly before disappearing into a dry reed bed (Lifer number 4). Further on a ring-tailed Hen Harrier also flew across the road.

On the last morning we decided to revisit Eyretou Reservoir in search of wintering Bluethroat, this time heading for the shallow end of the Reservoir. Heading from Pafos to Polsis, before reaching the village of Giolou, turn right towards Simou and continue, eventually turning left where the Reservoir is signposted. This track is just about passable in a two wheel drive car, forking right where the track splits just after a large water tank. Park halfway down this track before it narrows and proceed on foot, following the track to the furthest most shallow end of the reservoir. The whole area is covered in discarded anglers litter (tins, bottles and bags etc) , and is in rather a disgraceful state! Birds seen in the area included a Great White Egret, Grey Heron (3), Common Snipe (3), Long-legged Buzzard, Hen Harrier, Wood Pigeon (flocks of 30+), Serin (flocks of 50+), Cettis Warbler and good numbers of Chiffchaffs.

In summary November doesn't appear to be the best time to visit Cyprus for birds; however if seeking out Finsch's Wheatear, Greater Sandplover and Black Francolin (plus some family winter sun), then it should be considered (there's always the chance of a wintering Wallcreeper turning up too). I also dipped on Bonelli's Eagle, with several seen the previous week. Consider too that the hunting season starts in early November and I believe shooting is allowed at weekends and on a Wednesday, although we did witness limited shooting on other days!

For recent Cyprus information via the internet see: www.birdlifecyprus.org/ and www.birdforum.net/ (Cyprus page). I also found that www.fatbirder.com contained a number of Cyprus trip reports from past years. Regarding the Cyprus Birdline number, I did ring it again whilst in Cyprus but found the information to be 3 days old (see Birdlife Cyprus page for contact number), which may be down to lack of active birders at this time of year?

Birds seen:

Black Francolin - 1 Fassouri Reedbeds
Chuckar - Seen/heard at several sites.
Grey Heron - 3 Eryetou Reservoir.
Great White Egret - 1 Eryretou Reservoir
Cormorant - 2 Eryetou Reservoir
Shag - 1 on rocks Pathos Harbour
Marsh Harrier - 2 to 3 Akrotiri Lake area.
Hen Harrier - 4 to 5 birds, expect to find in suitable winter hunting habitat.
Long-legged Buzzard - 2 seen and scoped well (other Buzzards seen most days from car)
Sparrowhawk - Singles seen most days
Kestrel - Common
Merlin - Male, Anarita area.
Moorhen - Several Eyretou Reservoir.
Crane - Several, Timi/Anarita Salt Lake.
Kentish Plover - 20+ Anarita Salt Lake.
Greater Sand Plover - 4 Paphos Headland (reports of other wintering groups also on the Island).
Golden Plover - 4 Paphos Headland.
Lapwing - 1 Paphos Headland.
Little Stint - Several, Anarita Salt Lake.
Whimbrel - 1 Paphos Headland.
Common Snipe - 3 Eyretou Reservoir (shallow end).
Black-headed Gull - 200 to 300 birds, Anarita area.
Mediterranean Gull - Singles at Lady's Mile and Polis.
Yellow-legged Gull - 4 Lady's Mile plus odd bird encountered elsewhere.
Caspian Gull - 1st W Lady's Mile.
Feral Pigeon - Common
Wood Pigeon - Occasional flocks of 30+ birds (mostly in wooded hills)
Collard Dove - Common around gardens.
Alpine Swift - 1 seen along costal cliffs.
Skylark - Small flocks in arable/coastal areas.
Crested Lark - Small flocks in open/arable/coastal areas.
Woodlark - 6 Anarita Park.
Meadow Pipit - Small flocks in arable areas, plus frequent calling flyover birds.
Red-throated Pipit - 2+ Mandria.
White Wagtail - Common.
Grey Wagtail - Occasional.
Robin - Common in Orchards.
Black Restart - Common
Finsch's Wheatear - 2 males, Anarita Park.
Stonechat - Abundant.
Blackcap - Occasional.
Spectacled Warbler - 2 Lady's Mile (low scrub seaward side).
Zitting Cisticola - Occasional.
Chiffchaff - Occasional.
Wren - Occasional.
Great Tit - Occasional.
Magpie - Locally common.
Hooded Crow - Common.
Jackdaw - Occasional large flocks.
Starling - 1 small flock over Anarita Salt Lake.
House Sparrow - Common
Spanish Sparrow - 1 Mandria.
Chaffinch - Locally common.
Linnet - Common.
Goldfinch - Common
Greenfinch - Common.
Serin - Common around Eryetou Reservoir.
Corn Bunting - Occasional.

Neil

Last edited:
Nice report Neil - I think you realistically got all you can expect to get in November.

I see Birdlife Cyprus has recently updated with reports around Akrotiri of RF Falcons, Saker, harriers etc at the time we were there. Still would have been difficult to connect with though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back