• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petfriend (1 Viewer)

petfriend

Hi: I'm new and am an avid bird lover. A friend told me she saw a bird she described as a golden throated hummingbird. She saw it in the mid-western US. Anyone ever seen one or know the proper name for this hummer?
Have a nice day everyone.
Irene from Canada

Hi Irene,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I can't help with the ID but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can.

See you around.

Hi Irene

Welcome to Birdforum.

We don't have Hummers in the UK so I am sorry that I can't help you on that one. Mind you I would love it if we did have them.

Have a search in the gallery you may find the one you are looking for.

Hi and Welcome, Irene,

Just done a quick check on my Sibley Monroe World List, and found 5 possibilities.

There are three Goldenthroats:

White-tailed Goldenthroat Polytmus guainumbi, Tepui Goldenthroat Polytmus milleri and Green-tailed Goldenthroat Polytmus theresiae

If it's none of these, then there is also a Glow-throated Hummingbird Selasphorus ardens although that doesn't have a golden throat, and a Fiery-throated Hummingbird Panterpe insignis which only sort of sort of does from the only picture I could find.

I'm afraid this is purely table checking research and a bit of googling, so I have no idea if any of these can be found in the location you friend described.

Thanks

helenol said:
Hello Irene, and welcome to Birdforum.net

Regards
Hi: I'm looking for some info. A friend from Iowa told me she saw a golden throated hummer. I've been searching the web and can't find a reference to one. Possibly it could have been a Ruby Throated? I've heard they can be different colours.

Thanks

petfriend said:
Hi: I'm looking for some info. A friend from Iowa told me she saw a golden throated hummer. I've been searching the web and can't find a reference to one. Possibly it could have been a Ruby Throated? I've heard they can be different colours.

Thanks

Hi Petfriend,
Welcome to BF. I suspect your friend kind of named the bird him/herself basing the name on what he/she was seeing. You might take a stab at a male Rufous Hummingbird - a guess.

It was very likely a male ruby-throated hummingbird. Sometimes when the sun hits the gorget at a certain angle, it looks golden instead of red. Sometimes even orange or pink.

hummingbird

Rosah said:
It was very likely a male ruby-throated hummingbird. Sometimes when the sun hits the gorget at a certain angle, it looks golden instead of red. Sometimes even orange or pink.[/QUOTE
Thanks - I'm pretty sure that's what she saw.

I'll check it out

birdman said:
Hi and Welcome, Irene,

Just done a quick check on my Sibley Monroe World List, and found 5 possibilities.

There are three Goldenthroats:

White-tailed Goldenthroat Polytmus guainumbi, Tepui Goldenthroat Polytmus milleri and Green-tailed Goldenthroat Polytmus theresiae

If it's none of these, then there is also a Glow-throated Hummingbird Selasphorus ardens although that doesn't have a golden throat, and a Fiery-throated Hummingbird Panterpe insignis which only sort of sort of does from the only picture I could find.

I'm afraid this is purely table checking research and a bit of googling, so I have no idea if any of these can be found in the location you friend described.

Thanks - I'll check those out. I also sent her an e-mail to ask again where she saw it.

Hi, Irene,

And another if belated welcome to BirdForum! :)

Depending on which state your friend saw this hummingbird, I wouldn't discount Rufous which has a very bright yellow/golden gorget in certain light. Also raspberry, green, pink, just about every color but blue! ;) In all likelihood, it was a Ruby-throat since that's the most ubiquitous hummer east of the Rockies and its gorget can also flash golden.

Does your friend remember if the bird was predominantly green or brown otherwise? If the latter, that would make it Rufous; if green, a Ruby-throat.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back