• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photographic Hides/Blinds (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

apologies for the non-response, Nigel was nearly right about playing in the garden, I was actually playing in the countryside (I was ringing all weekend & have only just got back to the computer).

Nice photo's of the Goldfinch Peter - looks like you are onto a winner - one bonus of having the cat INSIDE the hide is that the birds will be a lot happier & more confident OUTSIDE the hide. hehe!

Did a quick set up test when my hide arrived & it looks plenty large enough for my Manfrotto 055 and a small stool plus my photo backpack (plus 6'3" of me), so no worries there - other than the usual despairing looks from my better half.

One thing I do plan to do is fit adjustable screens inside the windows - I have a few old mossie nets (both green and black) and intend to cut sections larger than the fully open window apertures, sew both colours to a piece of hooky velcro in order that they are removeable then contact adhesive the furry side of the velcro above the inside of the windows - with ties added this means I can leave the windows open for ventilation and all round view (plus cooling if we ever get any nice weather) and roll up the screens on the window I am shooting from, plus choose the best colour to match my surroundings.

With my usual scrim scarf & camo lens covers, this should reduce bird disruption to a minimum.

Will let you know how I get on soon, providing my neighbours don't think I have finally lost the plot entirely & call in the men in white coats!!!.

Received mine yesterday. Very impressed with it, considering the price.

Paid just short of £10 import VAT.

Karl - Apparantly, it all depends on the goods, and what category the person at this end decides to categorise them in, which will determine the final amount you pay to the courier. Not a good system at all, but there you go.

Hi Helen,

I followed in the footsteps of the others and sent for a blind, not the Youkon Sniper version, but the -wait for it - "AMERISTEP OUTHOUSE BLIND", this one was $59.99 and is ??? showerproof.Strangely it looks exactly the same as RETEP D s version.

I also got a T shirt and a cap and I paid £11 vat/dutyfor the 3 items.

Going back to the blind/hide it is amazing at how quick it is to put up and take down and how light it is to carry.
Regards Pelrin.

HI Pelrin, Yes, it's the names that I like. I bet the courier wondered what the hell we were up to - Snipers Blind! In large writing. No wonder he didn't charge much duty.

Ah yes, the putting it up bit. I found out the hard way how fast it puts itself up!

Taking it down took a little more doing, but got the hang of it.

It looks like these blinds are really starting to catch on!

Pelrin - I think that maybe one company makes these hides & different companies then "badge" them under their own name, so it could be yours & the Yukon are the same.

Helen - I am intrigued by "I found out the hard way how fast it puts itself up!" - was this an indoors event? do tell.

Following another weekend of field work (literally in a field) I am happy to report just how robust these hides are, the curtains are fitted & work a treat, minimal bird disturbance & excellent shots of Dipper & Kingfisher obtained plus one dry birder & kit following a HUGE thunderstorm - thank goodness I had pitched the hide amogst a hedgerow and not in the wide open field!!!!

Have fun everyone.

Corvus Corax said:
Helen - I am intrigued by "I found out the hard way how fast it puts itself up!" - was this an indoors event? do tell.
Er, yes it was. Well, it wasn't intended, I took it out of the bag, and it took on a life of its own - indoors. I wont tell you what my other half said. Along the lines of "Why didn't *********** outdoors"? |:||

Karl,
I have not really had the chance to try mine out, but I did notice that it did get hot, and your idea of putting up the camo scrim as curtains for venting is a good suggestion, any other observations/short commings you might like to pass on to the rest of us.
Regards Pelerin.

OOPS! - just count yourself lucky your other half allows birding bits indoors (I am strictly confined to the garage & garden) - ah well it all adds variety to a relationship, hehehe!

Pelerin - I agree that without ventilation the hide will become uncomfortable quite quickly in hot weather (living in Wales this is not something I need to worry about) and whilst the windows allow for excellent airflow I feel the addition of mesh screens reduces the chance of disruption to birds.

These hides are light, really light, and as such are prone to the effects of the wind - Peter's photos show the "skirt" around the bottom of the hide into which I have fitted large plastic reinforcing grommets, 3 per side, which allow me to spike the hide down using large plastic tent pegs. Both items are available from all good outdoor / camping shops.

Lack of any sewn in groundsheet means you need to keep an eye open for water ingress during bad weather if you intend leaving rucksacks / bags on the floor (another option is to turf over the skirt on the outside but this is only worth considering if you are going to have the hide set up several days).

I cannot find anything negative to say about the hide, it is cheap, light, well made, quickly assembled (as Helen found out), spacious and weatherproof - what more can you ask for?

Quick question for all you blind users... what sort of dimensions are they when packed away? My sister is going to the US next week and I was considering getting her to bring one back for me... but don't want to ask if will end up filling her suitcase.

postcardcv said:
Quick question for all you blind users... what sort of dimensions are they when packed away? My sister is going to the US next week and I was considering getting her to bring one back for me... but don't want to ask if will end up filling her suitcase.

The larger blinds being discussed here could easily fill a suitcase. They weigh roughly 10 lbs and have spring/ steel frames. You can get some idea of the options available here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.htm...UTF8&node=3413441&no=3412851&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I've seen these at Walmart and the boxes they come in are quite large. The blinds don't look easily portable, but I plan to try one anyway.

In the meantime, a package of the camo blind material (which actually costs only half as much as indicated in that ad) is plenty to drape a tripod and camera or bins, and it only adds 380 grams to a backpack. Together with a matching camo hat, sweatshirt, pants, and backpack, I've found birding prospects are greatly improved vs. regular clothing if you don't plan to sit in one place for as long as you would with a blind.

The material is something she could easily bring back without filling her suitcase if you'd have any use for it.

Postcard, the box is just over 2ft square. As Deborah says they are endless spring steel frames. I'm not sure if you would be able to further reduce the size. I will try when I get home tonight.

helenol said:
Received mine yesterday. Very impressed with it, considering the price.

Paid just short of £10 import VAT.

Karl - Apparantly, it all depends on the goods, and what category the person at this end decides to categorise them in, which will determine the final amount you pay to the courier. Not a good system at all, but there you go.
If you ask the company when you order stuff from the USA to mark it as a gift you will not have to pay the duty. Regards Snapper.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back