• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pied billed grebe (1 Viewer)

vincem58

United States
I have a pied billed grebe that pretty much thinks he/she owns my lake.. He has been a loaner here for the past three months and I love watching him dive and come up with a fish in his mouth.. He is eating well seems happy enough.. I have been here for 16 years not sure I have had one before. A little worried, do they migrate.. My lake will freeze over in the winter if it gets cold enough. Thanks for any thoughts....

To the best of my recollection, I have only seen one Pied-billed Grebe, but I have been watching the local Hooded Mergansers, who are very entertaining. Mergansers, both common and hooded are much more abundant this year, compared to the last six.

They really are comical, and pretty too.

Hi Vince

Your Pied-billed may not actually ‘migrate‘ far if your lake freezes but just take a short hop within the State or just slightly further South. As you can see from the range map, Southern Missouri is within range for wintering P-b G. Your location looks to be just about at the northern most part of it’s winter range. https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/pied-billed-grebe
Pied-billed-Grebe_map.jpg

Hi Vince

PB grebes certainly are fascinating. They have a hugely extensive range in North and Central America, the most extensive of any North American grebe species. Within this extensive range are both resident and migratory populations. PB grebes are strictly aquatic birds. Of particular note regarding their adaptation to an aquatic lifestyle is that (as with grebes in general) their legs are situated far rearward on their body. This is a great adaptation for paddling about on the water and for propulsion during a dive but it’s an extremely poor anatomical arrangement for walking on land (this makes them very clumsy at walking; they’re simply not built for living on land). Because of this (and of course, the fact that they obtain their food from bodies of water—fresh, brackish and saltwater) they must stick to bodies of water. Thus, as with other types of strictly aquatic birds, the PB grebes that seasonally live and breed in areas where the types of bodies of water that they utilize freeze over during the colder months must seasonally move away. However, in regions where utilized bodies of water only occasionally and temporarily freeze over while other suitable bodies of water in the area remain unfrozen (as is the situation in the area of New Mexico where I live) then the grebes may not migrate out of the area. One other possibly relevant point regarding your lake situation is that breeding PB grebe pairs will setup and actively defend a territory in suitable habitat during their breeding season. Another point to keep in mind (notably, with respect to resident populations) is that there are particular bodies of water in which the habitat is suitable for daily living but unsuitable for breeding/chick rearing. So, in such cases you may see PB grebes living there outside of the breeding season but not during the breeding season when they have moved away to bodies of water that contain suitable breeding/chick rearing habitat.

I conducted a study on the chick rearing process of PB grebes so I developed a special affection for this species. I came to know the two PB grebe families (and each individual family member) that were the subjects of my study quite intimately. It was a unique and fascinating study and I wrote a book about it. If you’re interested in learning more about this species you might consider checking it out. If interested, the book is available through Amazon (the title is Life and Loss Among the Reeds: A Tale of Two Pied-Billed Grebe Families). Somewhat surprisingly, as far as I am aware, this is the only book out there that deals with aspects of the behavior and ecology of the PB grebe as the main subject. However, there are some books about grebes in general that include a chapter about the PB grebe and you might even be able to find one of these in your local libraries.

Hi Vince

PB grebes certainly are fascinating. They have a hugely extensive range in North and Central America, the most extensive of any North American grebe species. Within this extensive range are both resident and migratory populations. PB grebes are strictly aquatic birds. Of particular note regarding their adaptation to an aquatic lifestyle is that (as with grebes in general) their legs are situated far rearward on their body. This is a great adaptation for paddling about on the water and for propulsion during a dive but it’s an extremely poor anatomical arrangement for walking on land (this makes them very clumsy at walking; they’re simply not built for living on land). Because of this (and of course, the fact that they obtain their food from bodies of water—fresh, brackish and saltwater) they must stick to bodies of water. Thus, as with other types of strictly aquatic birds, the PB grebes that seasonally live and breed in areas where the types of bodies of water that they utilize freeze over during the colder months must seasonally move away. However, in regions where utilized bodies of water only occasionally and temporarily freeze over while other suitable bodies of water in the area remain unfrozen (as is the situation in the area of New Mexico where I live) then the grebes may not migrate out of the area. One other possibly relevant point regarding your lake situation is that breeding PB grebe pairs will setup and actively defend a territory in suitable habitat during their breeding season. Another point to keep in mind (notably, with respect to resident populations) is that there are particular bodies of water in which the habitat is suitable for daily living but unsuitable for breeding/chick rearing. So, in such cases you may see PB grebes living there outside of the breeding season but not during the breeding season when they have moved away to bodies of water that contain suitable breeding/chick rearing habitat.

I conducted a study on the chick rearing process of PB grebes so I developed a special affection for this species. I came to know the two PB grebe families (and each individual family member) that were the subjects of my study quite intimately. It was a unique and fascinating study and I wrote a book about it. If you’re interested in learning more about this species you might consider checking it out. If interested, the book is available through Amazon (the title is Life and Loss Among the Reeds: A Tale of Two Pied-Billed Grebe Families). Somewhat surprisingly, as far as I am aware, this is the only book out there that deals with aspects of the behavior and ecology of the PB grebe as the main subject. However, there are some books about grebes in general that include a chapter about the PB grebe and you might even be able to find one of these in your local libraries.
Thank you so much for all the info it was good to learn more about my little friend. I am sorry to here he probably wont stay year round but happy to have him here now. I do hope if he leaves he might come back some day. He seems to love it here.......

We had a solitary PB Grebe on our pond (mountains of SW Virginia) from early Nov. through early Dec. It was very tolerant of us, whether we were walking nearby, watching it from shore, or even canoeing. Regretfully I did not take any photos of the bird, despite having plenty of opportunities. I assumed it was here for the winter but it moved on just before the pond froze for the first time. Charming birds and a real joy to watch. Hope yours sticks around longer. Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back