• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planicie Abissar Da Madeira – Atlantic Ocean - Blue Heron (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Planicie Abissar Da Madeira – Atlantic Ocean

Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

I only know of two big herons that are dark, Grey and Blue Heron. This heron was very dark so I ID the bird as a Blue Heron. 450km north west of Madeira.

Coming from south flying over my boat and continue towards north West.

I was taken by surprise and as I have my birding equipment back home I only had my small pocket camera so the pictures are at least to say an embarrassment.

Anyone here know of any other big grey herons, this was very dark, not a Grey Heron?
Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 69
Based on the continent, the likely bird is Gray Heron.

Great Blue Heron is an American species, that would be a mega rarity on the islands, whereas Gray Heron is an Old World species.

Based on the continent, the likely bird is Gray Heron.

Great Blue Heron is an American species, that would be a mega rarity on the islands, whereas Gray Heron is an Old World species.
Thank you very much!

It might be a Grey Heron, but this was a very dark one. But I will report it as a Heron s.p

They are very alike, the Grey and the Blue and I think they have come with a boat as we are very far from land.

Thanks again, appreciated!
Aladdin

Attachments

• 131.jpg
    131.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 17
In the absence of any reason to think otherwise, a heron like this on the Old World side of the Atlantic can reasonably be assumed to be grey heron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back