• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Podlights (2 Viewers)

stuarta21

Have been moth trapping for a few years now and I'm always looking for different setups, especially if they are lightweight and portable to make life easier when I take my trap on holiday.
I've looked at lepiLED but really can't justify the cost (upwards of £360) Podlights seem to be a cheaper alternative (£95) I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

Not seen these before, can't see any details in the tech spec of hat wavelength they emit UV at. Agree certainly cheaper so will be interested to hear how you go with one if you do end up buying one. At moment I have a single LepILED and am tempted to buy a second as have been very impressed so will be following this thread with interest to see if this is a viable cheaper option

I have one. I've nothing to compare it with, but it brings in moths when there is no other light around. (And no mains supply)

I don't think it works at all well in my garden, near streetlights. A Sylvania 368 blacklight does ok here.

It's flexible in that it can be powered by usb power bank or 12v cigarette lighter socket ( or mains), so you could run it from the car , although I'm not sure how long that is possible before you'd run the car battery down??

Last edited:
Not seen these before, can't see any details in the tech spec of hat wavelength they emit UV at. Agree certainly cheaper so will be interested to hear how you go with one if you do end up buying one. At moment I have a single LepILED and am tempted to buy a second as have been very impressed so will be following this thread with interest to see if this is a viable cheaper option
The lepiled, I think because of the price, you think it must be superior, but who knows. Location, other light, weather, I suspect make much more of a difference to the results.

I'd be tempted to have one of each (lepiled and podlight) and run them both at the same moth trap!

The lepiled, I think because of the price, you think it must be superior, but who knows. Location, other light, weather, I suspect make much more of a difference to the results.

I'd be tempted to have one of each (lepiled and podlight) and run them both at the same moth trap!
I'd love a lepiLED I've not used LEDs before but the design and portability of it are really interesting, I just can't afford one.
I don't have the skills to make something similar myself, I've seen people on Facebook groups that have done, the LEDs themselves are very cheap it's the casing and cooling solutions that drive the price up I imagine.

I'd love a lepiLED I've not used LEDs before but the design and portability of it are really interesting, I just can't afford one.
I don't have the skills to make something similar myself, I've seen people on Facebook groups that have done, the LEDs themselves are very cheap it's the casing and cooling solutions that drive the price up I imagine.
I've made a couple of UV LED sets that run off 8xAAs.
I've also blown a couple of sets up, and watched a battery get very hot and swell up before throwing it across the garden (faulty battery holder)!

I don't think the podlight is much more expensive than home made when you factor everything else in, and it's probably as good if not better. Definitely more Flexible and robust/reliable.

The home made sets do have the advantage of me now being able to leave them unattended, overnight, without being too bothered if they get stolen.

Um no price has got nothing to do with it. As I said I am following the thread and if the cheaper option works as well then I will look at getting them instead. My initial thoughts when I looked at the webpage for the podlight was that it doesn't give any technical specs as to what wavelength the uv light is transmitted at and it is that aspect that for me would determine whether I purchase another LepiLED or some of these podlights.
I use my LepiLED in conjunction with my MV both on the same double sheet set up and as a stand alone trap away from the mv. COmpared to the MV I have been hugely impressed with the LepiLED not just its portability but its effectivenesss in pulling stuff in

Um no price has got nothing to do with it. As I said I am following the thread and if the cheaper option works as well then I will look at getting them instead. My initial thoughts when I looked at the webpage for the podlight was that it doesn't give any technical specs as to what wavelength the uv light is transmitted at and it is that aspect that for me would determine whether I purchase another LepiLED or some of these podlights.
I use my LepiLED in conjunction with my MV both on the same double sheet set up and as a stand alone trap away from the mv. COmpared to the MV I have been hugely impressed with the LepiLED not just its portability but its effectivenesss in pulling stuI emailed them to ask, apparently the power output is approximately 3.5w. The 3w LEDs draw 350mA approx it appears to use 2 each of UV, Blue and Green LEDs 👍🏻

I use my LepiLED in conjunction with my MV both on the same double sheet set up and as a stand alone trap away from the mv. COmpared to the MV I have been hugely impressed with the LepiLED not just its portability but its effectivenesss in pulling stuff in
I emailed them to ask, apparently the power output is approximately 3.5w. The 3w LEDs draw 350mA approx it appears to use 2 each of UV, Blue and Green LEDs 👍🏻

I emailed them to ask, apparently the power output is approximately 3.5w. The 3w LEDs draw 350mA approx it appears to use 2 each of UV, Blue and Green LEDs 👍🏻
Can they tell you what wavelength the UV is emitted at? Specifically does it emit at 365nm wavelength which is the best for attracting moths. The wattage is quite low but that could be boosted by using several so is not necessarily an issue but the wavelength is the crucial one

Have been moth trapping for a few years now and I'm always looking for different setups, especially if they are lightweight and portable to make life easier when I take my trap on holiday.
I've looked at lepiLED but really can't justify the cost (upwards of £360) Podlights seem to be a cheaper alternative (£95) I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

Hi I've been using a Podlight for 2023,I am impressed with it ,using in an Upland disused quarry in Penines, I use it in conjunction with a pop up insect type cube, I put some homemade white vanes on,this made a marked difference on Carpet type Moths ( ie Northern Spinach,Chevrons ) going inside the trap ) as opposed to them settling around the outside of the trap,Gemlight on left Podlight right.Id say it works better than my old Actinic,and this setup retains Moths much better. obviously if won't perform as great as an MV,eith generator but the portability of it for remote locations is Fantastic used with a Powerbank.

Attachments

• 20230811_091242.jpg
    20230811_091242.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
Hi I've been using a Podlight for 2023,I am impressed with it ,using in an Upland disused quarry in Penines, I use it in conjunction with a pop up insect type cube, I put some homemade white vanes on,this made a marked difference on Carpet type Moths ( ie Northern Spinach,Chevrons ) going inside the trap ) as opposed to them settling around the outside of the trap,Gemlight on left Podlight right.Id say it works better than my old Actinic,and this setup retains Moths much better. obviously if won't perform as great as an MV,eith generator but the portability of it for remote locations is Fantastic used with a Powerbank.

Excellent I was hoping someone who actually had one would reply! Would it work suspended over a Skinner trap, or is it best set up with one of the pop up style traps in your pic? Is it weatherproof or would it need protecting from rain? Would you be able to answer the question regarding the wavelength of each of the LEDs (think it's often on the led itself?).
How often do you use it? Interested to know if you've run it in conjunction with other light sources and how it compared in terms of species/overall numbers.

Excellent I was hoping someone who actually had one would reply! Would it work suspended over a Skinner trap, or is it best set up with one of the pop up style traps in your pic? Is it weatherproof or would it need protecting from rain? Would you be able to answer the question regarding the wavelength of each of the LEDs (think it's often on the led itself?).
How often do you use it? Interested to know if you've run it in conjunction with other light sources and how it compared in terms of species/overall numbers.
Thanks Stuart,it could probably be fitted to a Skinner type trap though in my experience Skinners don't retain Moths so good.you need some form of cover in inclement weather although it was still on after 2hrs of continuous heavy rain once ! I used a Gemlight at one end of quarry and Podlight nr other end for july/Aug I was targeting 5 specific species Ie Drinker, Confused,Grey Mountain Carpet, Tissue,and a real outsider Northern Rustic I managed 3 of the 5 (interesting though,when a team of us humped a Robinson MV /Generator up there a good few times we never got Tissue and only started getting those to LED,ps didn't get any Northern Rustic or G Mountain Carpet the other 2 target species. I'd say the podlight beats the Gemlight mk 1 on numbers/species, and the only Tissue came to the Podlight.i couldn't tell you the wave lenghts of the LEDs though other than what's been stated on your post.regards Bri. Ps other notable sp were Anomalous ,Neglected and Heath Rustics.

Thanks Stuart,it could probably be fitted to a Skinner type trap though in my experience Skinners don't retain Moths so good.you need some form of cover in inclement weather although it was still on after 2hrs of continuous heavy rain once ! I used a Gemlight at one end of quarry and Podlight nr other end for july/Aug I was targeting 5 specific species Ie Drinker, Confused,Grey Mountain Carpet, Tissue,and a real outsider Northern Rustic I managed 3 of the 5 (interesting though,when a team of us humped a Robinson MV /Generator up there a good few times we never got Tissue and only started getting those to LED,ps didn't get any Northern Rustic or G Mountain Carpet the other 2 target species. I'd say the podlight beats the Gemlight mk 1 on numbers/species, and the only Tissue came to the Podlight.i couldn't tell you the wave lenghts of the LEDs though other than what's been stated on your post.regards Bri. Ps other notable sp were Anomalous ,Neglected and Heath Rustics.
Interesting. My experience with LED systems is very similar, doesn't catch the overall volume and diversity that an MV system does (probably 75-80% of diversity and less than 60% of the numbers) but they definitely catch species that the MV never does. Using them in tandem I always pack the MV up first, gives the bulb chance to cool down etc and in the last 30 minutes with the LED only always brings a handful of new species for the night. Your reply does answer my next question of how weather proof are they.

Ps there's a new version of the Goodens Gemlight that features 1 uv,1 green 1 blue LEDs now,around £199,but this as a built in switch to come on at dusk,and switch off at dawn,which is really useful.So the Podlight represents great value,with 2 uv,2 blue,2 green LEDs,around £95 but without the dusk/Dawn capability,though one could probably be adapted to the Podlight ? Regards Bri.

Ps there's a new version of the Goodens Gemlight that features 1 uv,1 green 1 blue LEDs now,around £199,but this as a built in switch to come on at dusk,and switch off at dawn,which is really useful.So the Podlight represents great value,with 2 uv,2 blue,2 green LEDs,around £95 but without the dusk/Dawn capability,though one could probably be adapted to the Podlight ? Regards Bri.

Any idea how do they compare to the MR16's Paul Batty sells? The MR16s are incredibly cheap and seem effective.

I've not used Paul's LEDs personally, but I would imagine they will be good,as all his Moth Traps in the past are reliable ,and at great prices too,hopefully some one has used his LEDs ?
Sorry - I use the the Eco Trap off a LiPO with either a 3 or 5W MR16 (still not sure whether the 5W pulls more in than the 3W). I wondered whether something like the Podlight would bring in as much?

Sorry - I use the the Eco Trap off a LiPO with either a 3 or 5W MR16 (still not sure whether the 5W pulls more in than the 3W). I wondered whether something like the Podlight would bring in as much?
That sounds an interesting led eco trap Richard,not being that technically minded,I'd probably go for the 5W MR16s,though you probably get better running time on the 3w ?? I suppose a direct comparison would be needed,between the two traps.Bri.

Ps that's the mk 1 Gemlight on left

By adding white vanes improves the number of Moths entering the trap.

Attachments

• Podlight trap .jpg
    Podlight trap .jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back