• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

[Poland] Warsaw, 31 October, Eurasian Pygmy-Owl... (1 Viewer)

All-knowing Idiot
Opus Editor
Poland
... and why not (apart from it being out of range)?
big city park, old-growth trees, grass, water, mouselike rodents galore, >= 3 tawny owls on site, one single call at 20:08 (sunset at 16:09)

TL;DR Here's a recording. No, the owl is gone.

Attachments

• Glaucidium passerinum.mp4
    26.3 KB
  • Glaucidium passerinum (sonogram).jpg
    Glaucidium passerinum (sonogram).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 23
I'm afraid it does not sound completely like Pygmy Owl to me. Too low and harsh. And Pygmy Owl usually calls in a series and well before full darkness.

An unusual Long-eared Owl, a day bird or some technology-made sound in a city park are possible.

Yes, I was thinking about the first and last of these possibilities. Regarding technology, the creak of the gate was much more grating, so the only plausible explanation would be a bus or perhaps a very loud bike. I can't see or hear the bus in the sonogram, though, and the sound does appear whistled rather than mechanical. I don't feel like being able to positively rule out a day bird, but a juvenile Long-Eared Owl would be off season by a long shot plus perhaps should have been more persistent in its begging (and even more shrill than the EPO's song)?

Last edited:
Hello,

my first feeling was "its a warning sound/signal" from a train. But the reason for this impression might well be the amplification/enhancement by the recording and/or editing and I am still unsure. I cant loose the feeling and I agree with you, that the train should be audible in your recording, too.

No offence you know.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back