• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Polarized optics in binoculars? (2 Viewers)

I quickly went through the Byfield literature that is linked above trying to find out what kind of prisms are in the 8x56 but didn't find anything about it.

From its shape it looks like they have AK prisms. Does anybody know?

Bob

Bob, Other than the published overviews there is no further 'technical' information available at present on these, although I will ask him if I see him.

Best wishes,

So it's much more than a gimmick of you are a fisherman or in the Navy or Coast Guard.

^^^

Byfield Optics donated ten pairs of Byfield Tracker 8x56 polarised binoculars to the search team in the search for the missing airliner MH370.

If anyone has forgotten the news story already go google ‘missing airliner MH370’ - the authorities are still searching.

Trialling by volunteer Air Search Observers during the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) search for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, resulted in the following positive comments for these binoculars : “high quality product, light to handle, easy to use, quick to get into sighting and focus, reduced / no glare was particularly useful at times in the conditions experienced during MH370 search operations”.

It was not a rehearsal.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
For uses like that (searching over sea/sun glare), their usefullness is solidly established.
Standard massive-improvement. Fishermen use them as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back