• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poplar Hawk Moth (1 Viewer)

ashrich

Registered , should be certified .......
England
Hello everyone , found this ravishing creature on my front door the other morning after some heavy rain and thunder during the night , I had never seen one before despite their apparent numbers and being the commonest Hawk Moth ( someone correct me if I am wrong ) Photo taken with a Sony Ericsson K750i in macro mode . Also found this nice 6 spot Burnet Moth feeding on Purple Dead Nettle , taken on same phone/cam

Ashley

Attachments

• Poplar%20hawk%20mothresized.JPG
    Poplar%20hawk%20mothresized.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 118
  • sixspotburnetmothresized.JPG
    sixspotburnetmothresized.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 129
ashrich said:
Hello everyone , found this ravishing creature on my front door the other morning after some heavy rain and thunder during the night , I had never seen one before despite their apparent numbers and being the commonest Hawk Moth ( someone correct me if I am wrong ) Photo taken with a Sony Ericsson K750i in macro mode . Also found this nice 6 spot Burnet Moth feeding on Purple Dead Nettle , taken on same phone/cam

Ashley

Yep, Poplar Hawk-moth.

Nice pics.

ashrich said:

Ashley

Hello ashrich,

A second brood Poplar Hawk is unusual, you won't see one every year, although I bred one last year. Some may argue the Elephant Hawkmoth is commoner than the Poplar Hawk. It is in my area, but Poplar Hawks are still common.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back