• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Preening male Sprawk being dislodged by Woodpigeon. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Early am, garden watched a male Sprawk preening on it’s favoured bough, when a Woodpigeon landed directly opposite, proceeding to hop towards with wings flapping and displaced the disconsolate hawk to the point of flying away towards me.
Presume “big momma” would not have been quite so accommodating in this situation.😮

Attachments

• IMG_7808.jpeg
    IMG_7808.jpeg
    881.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7811.jpeg
    IMG_7811.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7809.jpeg
    IMG_7809.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Fascinating relationship between Sprawks and WPs.

I know larger females Sprawks can potentially take weaker WPs but I recall a male Sprawk on top of a WP in my garden, but the WP appeared unconcerned and the Sprawk wasn't really able to do much to its prey, and eventually it just flew off.

Fascinating relationship between Sprawks and WPs.

I know larger females Sprawks can potentially take weaker WPs but I recall a male Sprawk on top of a WP in my garden, but the WP appeared unconcerned and the Sprawk wasn't really able to do much to its prey, and eventually it just flew off.
Female Sparrowhawks take Woodpigeons routinely (seen it on a number of occasions including literally the morning after someone on BF claimed it never happened) - of course we know that although we may find it hard to identify weaker individuals predators "find them out" through testing by pursuit or other means.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back