• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: Zeiss Victory Pocket 8 x 25. (4 Viewers)

Evening All,

Please find a link to my latest review of the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8 x 25:

I hope you find it informative!

With best wishes,

Neil

View attachment 1553901
You mention the missing lens covers early on in your review, referring to dealing with the topic later on. But I can't see any other mention later. At any rate, decent lens protections should come with such a high quality glass.

View attachment 1553907
No need for objective covers IMO
Agree that those are not that critical.
But the ocular covers are, as you are showing. Must be a non-Zeiss product though. And they look a bit large considering you want a very compact binocular-solution. I assume, these don't fit into the provided case.

Pentax provides a more compact cover for the Papilio. Not sure whether these would fit the Zeiss, though. But it might be worth a try.

Attachments

• _DSC8633_crop01.jpgred1200.jpg
    _DSC8633_crop01.jpgred1200.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Hello again,

I had a wee look at finding some simple objective caps for the Zeiss VP this evening after supper.
It transpired that the ocular caps that come with many budget 8 x 25s like the Nikon Sportstar EX DCF fit over the Zeiss objectives snugly. Turns out I have accumulated quite a few of these generic caps over the years, hidden away at the bottom of my astronomy ‘box of tricks.’

IMG_9428.jpegIMG_9426.jpegIMG_9427.jpeg
Neil

You can have them printed by a service bureau, or find someone who has a 3D printer, which are less rare now that prices have fallen.

Thank you for another interesting write up, myself and many others are surely very grateful.

I have to disagree with your concluding statement of 'the best pocket binoculars ever made'.
I have dabbled with many small binos over the years, and these latest 25mm 'pockets' just arent really that pocketeable.
In my opinion, if you are going to go 25mm, you may as well do the 30mm and done with it.
That single hinge design does not work with pockets at all, other than a large coat pocket, i've tried it.....and the huge case is crazy.
Even the Swaro CL8x25 is too middle ground to be a true 'pocket' bino. Mine have been sold, as good as they were.

Leica, and Swaro with the Curio, have nailed down the best pocket binoculars.
Yes, they are more awkward to use, twin hinge, not quite as bright etc etc.
But they actually do go in a pocket.
I am now back with Ultra 8x20's..... as fiddly and awkward as they are.... guess where they usually find themselves..... Yep.. in my pocket (in an Oakley cloth bag)..... but even so, the Leica case is just the ticket for small and suitable, great job there too!!

I am aware of how good those VP's are, and I agree with your findings, but as a 'pocket' binocular.... I'm not so sure... regardless of how good the view is.

But thank you again for your time and reviews, always a good read(y)

I have the VP 10x25 and consider it (optically) the best 10x25 currently available. For context, I've owned and extensively used Ultravids and CL Pockets in this format, too. The biggest bugbear for me with the VP is the poorly designed / engineered diopter adjustment. It's been well documented on this forum and as well as being easily knocked out of adjustment it's also virtually impossible to have the thing sit just off its detent position without it randomly dropping back into the 'zero' indent. It's a major flaw. It seem the retaining ball (I presume that's what they use) is just too big and crude for the job. Also, I find that if the diopter setting is set to anything other than zero, the main focusing mechanism is noticeably stiffer to boot.

In terms of pocketability, I carry mine most of the time when cycling. I carry it without the strap or any lens covers in a small neoprene case that might as well have been designed for the job by Zeiss themselves. I modified this slightly by removing the carrying loop - an easy job that entailed unpicking the stitching. The 'slippery' texture of the case makes placing and removing the bin from most pockets (including my trouser pockets) much easier. See pics with OEM Zeiss case alongside the small(er) neoprene jobbie for an idea of size.

Attachments

• IMG_20240122_085205_3~01.jpg
    IMG_20240122_085205_3~01.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20240122_085130_2~01.jpg
    IMG_20240122_085130_2~01.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I've been told not to use kitchen towel or a dust cloth to clean lenses that are not protected because they scratch the lenses. What type of microfiber cloth should I use? Will any do?

Lisa
Teleguard ID: 3KH4SZHZW

Hi,

i would not use Kitchen towels to clean the optics. A good microfibre cloth is a safe bet used with a good cleaning solvent like Baader Optical Wonder or some such.
IMG_0136.jpeg
These days I’ve resorted to using disposable Zeiss wipes. They clean without leaving streaks.

Regards,

Neil

IMG_0135.jpeg

I've been told not to use kitchen towel or a dust cloth to clean lenses that are not protected because they scratch the lenses. What type of microfiber cloth should I use? Will any do?

Lisa
Teleguard ID: 3KH4SZHZW
The key is to safely remove any grit particles off the lens before rubbing with any cloth and cleaning solvent.

If they're waterproof you can do this buy running water over the lens. If not, I'll use sterile cotton balls and a rolling motion to lift anything off the glass before using cleaning cloths & alcohol

I remove dust/sand/grit not with anything physical, not even pieces of cotton wool, but instead with an air blower such as any of the Giottos 'Rocket' products. I have been using them for many years on photographic equipment, and they do equally well on other optics.
It is best to hold the lens/surface to be cleaned angled downward so anything dislodged by the air blasts gets taken care of by gravity and doesn't just sneak into some other nook or cranny, and to then use the blower repeatedly.
Afterwards lens wipes or micofibre (lens)cloths and a quality optical cleaning solution can be used.

Last edited:
I have the VP 10x25 and consider it (optically) the best 10x25 currently available. For context, I've owned and extensively used Ultravids and CL Pockets in this format, too. The biggest bugbear for me with the VP is the poorly designed / engineered diopter adjustment. It's been well documented on this forum and as well as being easily knocked out of adjustment it's also virtually impossible to have the thing sit just off its detent position without it randomly dropping back into the 'zero' indent. It's a major flaw. It seem the retaining ball (I presume that's what they use) is just too big and crude for the job. Also, I find that if the diopter setting is set to anything other than zero, the main focusing mechanism is noticeably stiffer to boot.

In terms of pocketability, I carry mine most of the time when cycling. I carry it without the strap or any lens covers in a small neoprene case that might as well have been designed for the job by Zeiss themselves. I modified this slightly by removing the carrying loop - an easy job that entailed unpicking the stitching. The 'slippery' texture of the case makes placing and removing the bin from most pockets (including my trouser pockets) much easier. See pics with OEM Zeiss case alongside the small(er) neoprene jobbie for an idea of size.
I can’t agree with you about the flawed / worst ever design diopter adjustment. I own sw curio 7x21 as well as SW NL Pure 8x32 and bought zeiss vp as an in between size as its much lighter compared to nl pure.

Now I am in Ubud, in front of georgous rice fields where is the only place this mf should work but diopter is broken and we are looking into each other. I am having really hard time not to throw VP into the field. You had one job! Lesson learned hard way, stick to your swaros!

Attachments

• IMG_3341.jpeg
    IMG_3341.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3339.jpeg
    IMG_3339.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
I can’t agree with you about the flawed / worst ever design diopter adjustment. I own sw curio 7x21 as well as SW NL Pure 8x32 and bought zeiss vp as an in between size as its much lighter compared to nl pure.

Now I am in Ubud, in front of georgous rice fields where is the only place this mf should work but diopter is broken and we are looking into each other. I am having really hard time not to throw VP into the field. You had one job! Lesson learned hard way, stick to your swaros!
Just throw it into that field.....
The Swaro Curio is better optically better than that Zeiss anyway.... why would you want both??
I did a side by side, and the Curio was better. And more pocketable.
You just gotta put up with that double hinge design..... but that's a given due to the size.

Just throw it into that field.....
The Swaro Curio is better optically better than that Zeiss anyway.... why would you want both??
I did a side by side, and the Curio was better. And more pocketable.
You just gotta put up with that double hinge design..... but that's a given due to the size.
Although I also believe Swaro has superior optics, I cannot say the same about its level of immersion due to the difference in 21mm and 25mm. Swaro hear us please, make a 25mm curio for us but cl not accepted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back