• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: Zeiss Victory Pocket 8 x 25. (1 Viewer)

I wonder why so many people seems to have issues with the VP's diopter. I've had VP 8x for about 6 months and it is a set-and-forget thing. No need to fiddle with it all the time till it drops off. It usually lives in a photo bag, so no special protective bags but also no extra rough treatment.

I wonder why so many people seems to have issues with the VP's diopter. I've had VP 8x for about 6 months and it is a set-and-forget thing. No need to fiddle with it all the time till it drops off. It usually lives in a photo bag, so no special protective bags but also no extra rough treatment.
Ignatius,
I have had the VP for about 3 months and mine experience was similar to yours till today. It was also in my photo bag as well, with the strap wrapped on it. Maybe the strap being wrapped around the hinge could potentially cause a problem? may be a leveraged pressure due to single hinge design? But whatever the reason is how can a diopter in such a protected place can make so many problems for many people. It seems like an obvious design problem to me.

Evening All,

Please find a link to my latest review of the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8 x 25:

I hope you find it informative!

With best wishes,

Neil

View attachment 1553901
An exceptional and accurate portrayal of Zeiss VP that I strongly concur with my experience, kudos for the detailed review. The appeal of its lightweight design was too strong for me to resist, causing me to opt for a Zeiss VP instead of my beloved Swarovski NL Pure 8x32 for my visit to Bali. Although the Zeiss VP may be a strong contender, it cannot compare to the optical excellence of the NL Pure. Nevertheless, portability and practicality are gaining importance considering all the gears, electronics we have with us all the time. Zeiss VP offers a lightweight solution that sets it apart from its competition in its class and even above challenging 8x32. However my entire perspective has completely shifted after encountering a broken diopter on my most important vacation. I am 100% sure that I will never encounter such a thing with my swaros.

Thanks Alperozaltin

Much appreciated!

I’m very happy with the Zeiss VP. Its optical capabilities continue to impress me and find it very easy to use. Furthermore, I’ve had no issues with the dioptre after 4 months of fairly regular use. That said, I certainly acknowledge that both the Zeiss VP and the little Swarovski Curio have had issues with the dioptre wheel falling off for some owners, as attested to by a few posters over the last few years. Personally I’m not a big fan of this design either: I would have much preferred a traditional right eye dioptre ring with enough tension to hold one’s optimal position in place.
That said, my preferred dioptre position actually falls within the groove near the zero position so that might explain why it has remained in place. Another point I’d like to make is that I don’t wrap the supplied strap around the hinge. I merely double-fold the strap and sit it under the instrument with the hinge fully extended as shown below. I store it this way inside the supplied clamshell case.

IMG_0271.jpeg

A final thought: If I were using the instrument routinely, say every day, I would tempted to just leave it fully deployed in a simple watertight Tupperware box with some desiccant like that shown below. That way it would be ready to go at a moment’s notice! No adjustments necessary!

IMG_0272.jpeg

Kind Regards,

Neil.

I've used the Zeiss VP 8x25 for roughly 500 birding walks in the three years since purchase new. The diopter knob has come off twice, quick repair turnaround by Zeiss in the US. I have no clue what freed the diopter knob either time. But I remain very happy with the VP optics and continue to use frequently.

Sympathy to a diopter knob failure occurring at important time with no alternative optic available. Perhaps putting the freed knob back in place and pushing on it axially while rotating to desired setting would allow diopter adjustment with freed knob?

I've used the Zeiss VP 8x25 for roughly 500 birding walks in the three years since purchase new. The diopter knob has come off twice, quick repair turnaround by Zeiss in the US. I have no clue what freed the diopter knob either time. But I remain very happy with the VP optics and continue to use frequently.

Sympathy to a diopter knob failure occurring at important time with no alternative optic available. Perhaps putting the freed knob back in place and pushing on it axially while rotating to desired setting would allow diopter adjustment with freed knob?
Thank you, Grackle314 for sharing your experience. I am also satisfied to use VP on a daily basis, always having it with me in my laptop bag or in the car. In my opinion, the most valuable camera is the one that is easily accessible, a belief shared by many photographers. The same holds true for binoculars too. I appreciate Zeiss VP for allowing that while demonstrating quite good optical capability.

However I am really surprised at your diopter malfunctioning twice within a span of two or three years. I am now completely convinced that this is a failure of engineering and design. In my case simply putting the knob back does not work as the some plasticky elements inside broken. The VP is now completely out of usage leaving me with no alternative as its main role was to cut my travel weight.

Since I live in Dubai I have zero to no tolerance for that kind of failures as I will have to send VP back to Germany through the UAE distributor. I may have to take the burden of shipment and repair costs as users outside EU may have fallen into a category of taking full responsibility depending on company policy. We will see that shortly.

I have a reasonable expectation of flawless performance from the ‘alpha’ device I bought, and any failure to meet this standard is not something I will overlook. Also I have paid much much more for this holiday!

The preceding two paragraphs were written explicitly for Zeiss optics people, assuming their use of social media listening/ monitoring for the brand.

So the knob fell off while the VP was in the bag? Or as you withdrew it from the bag? (...would be good to establish mode of failure)
When I took VP out of the bag, I noticed that the knob bended on a direction that it should not be. And when I touch it was freely turning and then it fell. There might be some sort of force applying for such a thing to happen thats why I hold wrapping the strap between the barrels accountable for the incident. Only the hinge can apply such a force acting like a lever as there is no other way. Also knob material is cheap, not sturdly built as most will agree.

Thanks Alperozaltin

Much appreciated!

I’m very happy with the Zeiss VP. Its optical capabilities continue to impress me and find it very easy to use. Furthermore, I’ve had no issues with the dioptre after 4 months of fairly regular use. That said, I certainly acknowledge that both the Zeiss VP and the little Swarovski Curio have had issues with the dioptre wheel falling off for some owners, as attested to by a few posters over the last few years. Personally I’m not a big fan of this design either: I would have much preferred a traditional right eye dioptre ring with enough tension to hold one’s optimal position in place.
That said, my preferred dioptre position actually falls within the groove near the zero position so that might explain why it has remained in place. Another point I’d like to make is that I don’t wrap the supplied strap around the hinge. I merely double-fold the strap and sit it under the instrument with the hinge fully extended as shown below. I store it this way inside the supplied clamshell case.

View attachment 1571402

A final thought: If I were using the instrument routinely, say every day, I would tempted to just leave it fully deployed in a simple watertight Tupperware box with some desiccant like that shown below. That way it would be ready to go at a moment’s notice! No adjustments necessary!

View attachment 1571403

Kind Regards,

Neil.
Dear Neil, I really appreciated your time & efforts for your detailed explanations and suggestions to prevent likelihood of another incident. I would definitely take these into account once my VP is fixed. I believe wrapping the straps around & between the hinges was the main reason of this failure so double folding the strap and sitting it under the instrument is the way to go as you suggest.

However as consumers, I believe we should not have to extensively think on how to protect the products except enjoying them through reasonable usage. The straps are built to wrap around things, it is their nature. The manufacturer design should not give any space to failure if I like to wrap my straps around or between the barrels. I don’t even have to think about this.

German engineers are known to optimise & design products expecting reasonable consumers usage as dictated by the manufacturer standards unlike their Japanese / asian counterparts who also additionally add design elements to prevent the potential user abuse cases. A bmw vs toyota reliability is a good example of this phenomenon. I believe this is the case now.
As a side note In fact I am driving a Range Rover now, if I have a failure I will not even bother to complaint on a forum about range rover - EXPECTATIONS! 😃

Ignatius,
I have had the VP for about 3 months and mine experience was similar to yours till today. It was also in my photo bag as well, with the strap wrapped on it. Maybe the strap being wrapped around the hinge could potentially cause a problem? may be a leveraged pressure due to single hinge design? But whatever the reason is how can a diopter in such a protected place can make so many problems for many people. It seems like an obvious design problem to me.

Regarding the diopter knob coming off some samples, the knob is in a more exposed position when the VP is fully folded and more protected when adjusted to the IP distance. I carry them on a strap or RYO harness and use comfortably loose after market cases to transport and store them at my IP distance. As others here say, more care may be needed when taking them out of cases or pockets in the fully folded position especially in tighter pockets or cases. If they are carried in a pack or bag with other gear it may be better to do so adjusted for IP distance rather than fully folded. Just my experience and no problems after @ 6 years of regular use. YMMV.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back