• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pseudocolaptes johnsoni (4 Viewers)

Björn

Does the use of "We" in the OD (pages 69–70) not suggest that both authors should be credited?

We have taken the pleasure of naming it for Consul General Axel Axrsox Johnson, who at many opportunities kindly has promoted the interests of this Museum.
Mike

This is more a question for Taxonomy and Nomenclature. From my understanding Lönnberg & Rendahl, 1922 is correct according the code. But I am not the expert and I am sure persons like Laurent can better explain the rational behind it.

Also compare with how his name was/is written here (versus "Axelson ..." as in today's updated, suddenly amended, somewhat improved HBW Alive Key, no longer written "Axelsson" ;)), on a Portrait bust (porträttbyst) of Axel Ax:son Johnson, erected beside a path, along the river Dalälven, in Gamla byn (Old Town/village), in Avesta, Dalarna County, Sweden. (close-up attached).

Avesta is the town where this guy, the well-known generalkonsuln (the "Consul-General") Ax:son Johnson (in Sweden better known as a wealthy, successful shipowner and industrialist) was/is buried.
--

Attachments

• Ax...Johnson.jpg
    Ax...Johnson.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Just for completness in HBW Alive. David H. Johnson (b. 1912) is DAVID HORN JOHNSON (1912-1996). A short CV is here page 171.

The other might be Hon. George Randall Johnson
1833–1919 as in Collections held by the Suffolk Record Office relating to Australia and New Zealand [M982] is written: George Randall Johnson of Wellington, N.Z. (1882); Cullum collection of letters from botanists, entymologists, zoologists 1771-1831, including letters from Charles Miller in Sumatra, Daines Barrington, Michael Lort and others, referring to Captain Cook.

Caprimulgus macrurus johnsoni Deignan, 1955 OD Deignan , H.G. 1955. The Long - tailed Nightjars of North Borneo and Palawan . Sarawak Museum Journal ( N.S. ) 6 : 314-315 (not seen)

Just what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Large-tailed Nightjar ssp. Caprimulgus macrurus johnsoni Deignan, 1955
Dr David H. Johnson (b.1912) was an American zoologist. He was a member of the Biological Society of Washington, which published a number of his papers, including 'The spiny rats of the Riu Kiu Islands' (1946). He worked at the USNM as Associate Curator (1941), becoming Curator (1957). He was in charge of the Mammals Division (1948–1965). An extinct mammal is named after him.

The exctinct mammal they wrote about is Johnson's Hutia Plagiodontia ipnaeum Johnson, 1948.

Caprimulgus macrurus johnsoni Deignan, 1955 OD Deignan , H.G. 1955. The Long - tailed Nightjars of North Borneo and Palawan . Sarawak Museum Journal ( N.S. ) 6 : 314-315 (not seen)
Full text not seen by me either, but from Google Books, we can see:
The Sarawak Museum Journal -
The United States National Museum has recently acquired two specimens of the long-tailed nightjar, collected by David H. Johnson between Jesselton and the foot of Mount Kinabalu, North Borneo, that are so much more nigrescent than any others of hundreds seen from all parts of the range of the species, that it seemed to me probable that salvadorii might be a valid race.
The Sarawak Museum Journal -
The race of Palawan is in need of a name, and, in honour of the collector of the Jesselton birds, I shall call it
Caprimulgus macrurus johnsoni, subsp. nov.​

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back