• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pupil lens coating refelections after cleaning (1 Viewer)

Wrote this to Leica forum (regarding Leica Ultravid), but maybe this is the right place.

After cleaning the pupil lens very gently (wiping dirt, using an optical chamois cloth and breath moisture), some local changes of the coating reflection colors (blue-red-green) can be noticed when you look carefully (and closely) for the reflections against artificial light source. Don't they have any optical/performances meaning at all (is it just cosmetics), or should the lens be cleaned further to eliminate them and have even color reflection?

Thanks in advance

Wrote this to Leica forum (regarding Leica Ultravid), but maybe this is the right place.

against artificial light source.

Thanks in advance

Hello Amnon;

Since you specified artificial light this time, but not the type, you may try looking in direct sun light or a broad band halogen light source.

If you were using flourescent or CF bulb you can get different reflections from different incident angles since reflectance can change with incident angle and the colors are far more individual and peaked.

Have a good day.
Ron

Attachments

• PICT0064.JPG
    PICT0064.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 500K CF.jpg
    500K CF.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 95
Hi Amnon;

I think what you are seeing is normal. I got my Ultravids and looked at the oculars under a CF light and sunlight.

Under the CF light the small reflections were magenta colored and the larger reflections were cyan-blue colored. The blue tints changed towards magenta as they were moved towards the edges.

I had about the same results under sunlight and halogen lights, though the colors were more subdued.

Hope this helps.

Ron

refelection colors

Hi
Thanks to all.
Wish to mention that there is difference between the lenses (the one that was not cleaned and the one that was). It looks like the "trails" of the wiping. It is noticed more when you look closely at refelecions from a bulb etc.
Amnon

Hi Ammon,
Might be some streaking/smearing due to residue from the wiping. Those dastardly streaks/smears are very difficult to completely remove. I hope that this is the case, rather than the optical coating being harmed. Best wishes.

Ron Davidson

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back