• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question on Arnaldo de Winkelreid Bertoni (1878-1973) (1 Viewer)

As I am still not convinced about the death 1973 I am wondering if Avispas Y Abejas Del Paraguay from 1973 is the reason why his death was dated 1973? I haven't seen the book but if I understood Arnaldo de Winkelried Bertoni, 1878-1973: primer zoólogo paraguayo p. 14 correct we can find there a picture/portait of him when he was over 90 years old.

Last edited:
Quick one ...

That particular Book/Edition (about Paraguayan Bees and Wasps) seems to have been published in "Marzo de 1973"/March of 1973 (see here), but that's all. The first Edition was (allegedly) from 1911.

Last edited:
As I am still not convinced about the death 1973 I am wondering if Avispas Y Abejas Del Paraguay from 1973 is the reason why his death was dated 1973? I haven't seen the book but if I understood Arnaldo de Winkelried Bertoni, 1878-1973: primer zoólogo paraguayo p. 14 correct we can find there a picture/portait of him when he was over 90 years old.

The Photo ought to be the same as on the cover of the just mentioned Paper (by Julio Rafael Contreras Roque, 2019):

On page 4:
Foto de tapa: Arnaldo de Winkelried Bertoni. Tomada de la reedición de la obra “Avispas y Abejas del Paraguay”, 1973. [i.e. this book/Edition was published in March 1973]

On page 14: ...
Desde aquella última fotografía en adelante, resulta muy difícil seguir al personaje hasta el encuentro con la figura emancipada, con un rictus entre triste e irónico en sus labios, del nonagenario que aparece en una de sus últimas fotografías tomada poco antes de su muerte, precedida algunos años antes por un retrato más formal, que aparece en la introducción de la reedición de su trabajo sobre las abejas y avispas del Paraguay, publicado en Buenos Aires en 1911.

And on page 23:
Falleció en Asunción en agosto de 1973.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back