• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question on Gitzo fluid head (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I recently purchased a GHF2W. The action of it is buttery smooth which is lovely, but it doesn’t seem to fully lock down even when the knobs are turned as tight as I can get them. It “nearly” locks down, but not all the way. This makes it extremely challenging to remove the head from the tripod because it just keeps turning on the panning base. Does this seem normal?

Is this head “supposed” to fully lock down so that it cannot pan or tilt? I would have thought so….?

Curious to hear if anyone else out there has this head or has used it in the past.

Hi,

those "locking" knobs only work friction based. So with enough force they will slip. For actual locking you would need to have a hole in the column where you can screw down the knob into (in exactly one position naturally). This would allow you to exact more force - unless the screw on the knob is sheared off.

I tend to grab the base of the head (at least on my Manfrotto heads there is some non-turning part left) in one hand and the center column in the other... that does the trick.

Joachim

Hi, I had the same issue with the GHF2W but I used it with a heavy load (45° astro binoculars) so I blamed this small defect on the excessive load. I finally turned to a Sirui VH-10. I have not used it since, and I keep it as an alternative to the Manfotto HDV 701 video head to support more "regular" loads (82mm spottingscope).

Thanks - I’ve been using the head more over the past week and think maybe I tightened it down more than is actually needed the first time. I’ve been attaching it to the tripod with a bit less force lately and have been able to get it back off just fine. I sure hope it doesn’t fall off with my scope attached though!!! 😂😂. (Kidding… at least I hope I’m kidding….)

Does the top plate of the centre column have grub screws to lock the head? Just a thought.
Btw, I don't like the idea of frequently attaching and detaching the tripod head. After a while something's going to suffer, female thread in the head or panning function.

John

Does the top plate of the centre column have grub screws to lock the head? Just a thought.
Btw, I don't like the idea of frequently attaching and detaching the tripod head. After a while something's going to suffer, female thread in the head or panning function.

John

I don’t believe so, no. But good idea.

About swapping heads… totally get your point there. But I also do a lot of photography and I use different heads for that. What do you suggest/what do people do… buy a second tripod dedicated to the scope vs camera? Seems a bit over the top given the price of a high end gitzo? But I do get your point…. What happens if the threads inside the head wear over time? Is that something that can be fixed?

About swapping heads… totally get your point there. But I also do a lot of photography and I use different heads for that. What do you suggest/what do people do… buy a second tripod dedicated to the scope vs camera? Seems a bit over the top given the price of a high end gitzo? But I do get your point…. What happens if the threads inside the head wear over time? Is that something that can be fixed?
Well, theoretically the Gitzo 2-way head would also work with the camera but only in horizontal format. However, the QR plate would also have to be mounted in the lens axis and I believe photographers mount QR plates in the transverse axis or use a laterally mounted L-bracket to change to vertical format.
If you are using a long lens with tripod mount the QR plate could be mounted there and used on the GHF-2W.
Some FLM ball heads allow you to lock out the lateral tilt for better use with a scope and the Berlebach 510, 553 and 653 two and three-way heads have a detachable clamp, which can be quickly rotated through 90° using a 4 mm allen key.

John

This Q=MOUNT X could be the solution to your problem.
It would allow longitudinal or transverse mounting of Arca-Swiss compatible QR plates.
Attach the Gitzo plate underneath and leave it on the head. You would need one additional plate for either scope or camera.

John

I can't imagine that switching heads regularly would result in excess wear on the mounting bolt or threads. Not for 3/8 inch anyway. However, it can be awkward to do all the time, esp. if grub screws are involved. For tripods w/ a drop-in center column, my solution is to buy a second center column.

--AP

I am using a MVH 500AH fluid head converted to arca swiss on a good tripod for all my photography needs and also for viewing with my scope. All my camera stuff and my scope have arca swiss plates. Also, I have a bino holder with arca swiss foot. So far this has all worked extremely well. One tripod and one head for everything.

Also, the tripod I am using now is not center post. There are different attachments that can be affixed solidly including a leveling base attachment which I use. The leveling base gets clamped into the tripod. Very solid. The leveling base attached to the head in the normal manner but you don't have to overtighten the head because the leveling base has three set screws that get snugged up into the bottom of the head. It works great.

The tripod I am using now is the Leofoto LM 364 CL. I like it a lot. This is my "heavy" set up. I'm still working on a lighter set up.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back