• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

R7 - Shipping Notice vs Backorder - first impressions from the lucky few (1 Viewer)

I haven’t read through this entire thread yet, but has anybody here used the r7 with a sigma 150-600mm C lens? If so, what are peoples thoughts on the combo? Mostly in terms of the autofocus?

I haven’t read through this entire thread yet, but has anybody here used the r7 with a sigma 150-600mm C lens? If so, what are peoples thoughts on the combo? Mostly in terms of the autofocus?
I haven't got this lens and am still waiting for my R7 but I came across this video on Youtube which may help as it looks specifically at the autofocus issues

Pied Wheatear, Whitley Bay this morning. R7 plus 100-500 . Shots 4 & 5 with added 1.4x extender. The composition on the 3rd shot may look a little off, with the bird too far to the left and a 'down the nostrils view, but I left it uncropped to demonstrate how close the bird came to me. I even pulled the zoom in from 500mm to 400mm to be sure of getting the shot as the bird came to within 4m of my feet!

Attachments

• Pied-Wheatear-(81)-fbook.jpg
    Pied-Wheatear-(81)-fbook.jpg
    667.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Pied-Wheatear-(124)-fbook.jpg
    Pied-Wheatear-(124)-fbook.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Pied-Wheatear-(150)-fbook-uncropped-400mm.jpg
    Pied-Wheatear-(150)-fbook-uncropped-400mm.jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Pied-Wheatear-(224)-fbook.jpg
    Pied-Wheatear-(224)-fbook.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Pied-Wheatear-(251)-fbook.jpg
    Pied-Wheatear-(251)-fbook.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 83
I found this excellent video last night, only released yesterday, where Duade explains what's causing the smudging of images on electronic shutter. As I suspected it is to do with even small movements of the camera when hand-holding. I'd confirmed this to myself only the day before, on Thursday when I did a tripod test on a moulting red-throated diver that's been spending some time here. I took 360 tripod-mounted shots without a hint of smudging, either on the bird or the ripples on the water. After that I went further up the coast and did some hand-held shots of waders and although the wierder distortions didn't happen (I was sitting on the beach with my arms supported on my knees, reducing movement), there was some compression in places on some of the images.

It's well worth the time to watch it. Duade goes into great detail as to exactly why it's happening.

It's not a deal-breaker to me. I'm still getting loads of good images, more than I ever would with a mirror camera, but I might have to start getting used to the rattle of electronic first curtain in some cases in future.

Attachments

• R-T-Diver-(70)-fbook.jpg
    R-T-Diver-(70)-fbook.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 64
  • R-T-Diver-(54)-fbook.jpg
    R-T-Diver-(54)-fbook.jpg
    750.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Daniel and I came down to Whitley Bay this weekend (he was trying out cellos in Hexham!). We thought yesterday's views of the wheatear were good, but this morning's were outrageous (down to about 8 feet) and in good light. R7 did much better this morning.
A couple of photos attached.

Attachments

• HP8A3937w.jpg
    HP8A3937w.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 55
  • HP8A4066w.jpg
    HP8A4066w.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 55
Yesterday at a local beach.

Attachments

• Sanderling-(2)-fbook.jpg
    Sanderling-(2)-fbook.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Sanderling-(28)-fbook.jpg
    Sanderling-(28)-fbook.jpg
    784.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Redshank-(35)-fbook.jpg
    Redshank-(35)-fbook.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Meadow-Pipit-(2)-fbook.jpg
    Meadow-Pipit-(2)-fbook.jpg
    659.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Rock-Pipit-(2)-fbook.jpg
    Rock-Pipit-(2)-fbook.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Pied-Wagtail-(5)-fbook.jpg
    Pied-Wagtail-(5)-fbook.jpg
    884.3 KB · Views: 36
I have to admit that I am really impressed with my R7/100-500RF lens combination, one of my recent efforts is below.

Attachments

• Stonechat Sample 1.jpg
    Stonechat Sample 1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 58
Four from Monday - rubbish light for all of them. The R7 is brilliant for BIF and not at all bad out of the car window with the engine still on.

John

Swallow and 2 X Red-rumped Swallow at Foreness Point; Sabine's Gull Port Lympne.

View attachment 1478641View attachment 1478642View attachment 1478643View attachment 1478644
Nice photos John. I've just received my R7 today and will spend the evening setting it up! Could you summarise your AF settings for the BIF please?

Regards David

Nice photos John. I've just received my R7 today and will spend the evening setting it up! Could you summarise your AF settings for the BIF please?

Regards David
Happy to do so.

General set up:

Shutter speed setting (in Tv mode) on top deck dial. In Av this does f-stop.

Exposure compensation on vertical wheel.

Range of focus point options set to 3: "point", "centre extending in each direction" and "all". AF point button cycles through the three. For BIF the centre extending is ideal.

Star button sets AF point to centre - useful when on the odd occasion it goes and sits in a corner.

Animal tracking on.

Eye detection on.

I've just looked and I've left the Servo AF case as AUTO. Lazy I know.

Have fun

John

Happy to do so.

General set up:

Shutter speed setting (in Tv mode) on top deck dial. In Av this does f-stop.

Exposure compensation on vertical wheel.

Range of focus point options set to 3: "point", "centre extending in each direction" and "all". AF point button cycles through the three. For BIF the centre extending is ideal.

Star button sets AF point to centre - useful when on the odd occasion it goes and sits in a corner.

Animal tracking on.

Eye detection on.

I've just looked and I've left the Servo AF case as AUTO. Lazy I know.

Have fun

John
Thanks John. Very useful.

Flounder for the fish course. Dark eye on a black crow picked up fine.

Attachments

• Carrion-Crow-(16)-fbook.jpg
    Carrion-Crow-(16)-fbook.jpg
    708 KB · Views: 30
  • Carrion-Crow-(18)-fbook.jpg
    Carrion-Crow-(18)-fbook.jpg
    735.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Carrion-Crow-(22)-fbook.jpg
    Carrion-Crow-(22)-fbook.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 30
Somewhat later than planned here are some images from my first few weeks with the R7,
The roseate tern is an example of recovery through shooting in RAW, The ISO was too high and the shot was hideously overexposed but it scrubbed up OK.
The arctic skua is a shot that I would have struggled to get with the 7DII - the action happened very quickly (it actually chased one of the two roseate terns present).
Linnet and bar-tailed godwit were taken on a very windy day - a contributor to my switch to electronic shutter. I found the combination of the wind buffeting the lens barrel with shutter shock meant that I had a lot of godwit shots that were not as sharp as they should be.
Photographing the bluetail was incredibly frustrating - it was too dark/distant for eye detect to work and the spot focus just wouldn't lock on to the subject. I really felt the 7DII would have done much better.

More recent shots to follow in due course.

Rob

Attachments

• HP8A2386w.jpg
    HP8A2386w.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 62
  • HP8A1682w.jpg
    HP8A1682w.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 57
  • HP8A1495w.jpg
    HP8A1495w.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 58
  • HP8A0898w.jpg
    HP8A0898w.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 65
  • HP8A0545w.jpg
    HP8A0545w.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 67
  • HP8A0432w.jpg
    HP8A0432w.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 69
A cropped burst from yesterday afternoon, using Electronic 1st Curtain at H+ (ie 15fps) to avoid rolling shutter.

EDIT. The same minor exposure adjustments were applied to each shot. There were six other shots before the first one shown, which were also in focus, against the sky. The total burst was a sequence of 11 shots. By the time the last shot shown was taken the focus was beginning to drift off the ducks.

Attachments

• Wigeon-(60)-fbook.jpg
    Wigeon-(60)-fbook.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Wigeon-(61)-fbook.jpg
    Wigeon-(61)-fbook.jpg
    712.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Wigeon-(62)-fbook.jpg
    Wigeon-(62)-fbook.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Wigeon-(64)-fbook.jpg
    Wigeon-(64)-fbook.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Wigeon-(63)-fbook.jpg
    Wigeon-(63)-fbook.jpg
    773.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
A few more.
Whiskered tern is a very rare bird in Scotland - rather grim weather on both my visits, though the second time it obligingly hawked for insects overhead.
The presumed Stejneger's stonechat took me a while to get the better of the camera to get some reasonable shots!
Dipper I was quite pleased with at 2500 ISO
Finally another of the pied wheatear.

Overall I feel I'm getting there, though it does require compromises and I've no doubt there will be more bumps along the way!

Rob

Attachments

• HP8A2815w.jpg
    HP8A2815w.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 56
  • HP8A3107w.jpg
    HP8A3107w.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • HP8A3119w.jpg
    HP8A3119w.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • HP8A3483w.jpg
    HP8A3483w.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 61
  • HP8A4105w.jpg
    HP8A4105w.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back