• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rainguard for SLC/SL Winged Eyecups (1 Viewer)

elkcub

Silicon Valley, California
United States
I recently upgraded my 9 yr. old 8x30 SLCs to new 10x42 SLCs. What an improvement! Love 'em. The one feature I really liked on the 8x30s, though, was winged eyecups. Not everyone likes them, but I do.

After discovering that Swarovski makes replacement winged eyecups for the new models, the natural question was "So, what about the rainguard?" Responses varied from "Duh, never thought of that" to "Just roll down the rubber and use the regular plastic rainguard." Nah, that would never do.

According to Swarovski, the old rubber rainguard for the 8x30 and 7x30 SLCs will fit the new models. The part number is 363-479A. This item can be ordered from Swaro dealers or from them directly for $22.20. I've got one winging its way to me now.

Thought some of you might be interested.

Elkcub

elkcub said:
According to Swarovski, the old rubber rainguard for the 8x30 and 7x30 SLCs will fit the new models. The part number is 363-479A. This item can be ordered from Swaro dealers or from them directly for $22.20. I've got one winging its way to me now. Elkcub

I have both 7x42 SLCs and 8.5x42 ELs and when I contacted the oh-so-helpful people at Swaro UK and asked about wing'ed eyepieces and rainguards, they just popped a set for each in the post at no charge! No wonder they have such a good after-sales reputation (with me at least).

Chris

zurtfox said:
I have both 7x42 SLCs and 8.5x42 ELs and when I contacted the oh-so-helpful people at Swaro UK and asked about wing'ed eyepieces and rainguards, they just popped a set for each in the post at no charge! No wonder they have such a good after-sales reputation (with me at least).

Chris

Chris,

Could you compare your 7X42 SLC and 7X42 Ultravid for us. I'm curious how well the SLC compares to the newer Ultravid line and which one you prefer.

Thanks.

John

John Traynor said:
Chris,

Could you compare your 7X42 SLC and 7X42 Ultravid for us. I'm curious how well the SLC compares to the newer Ultravid line and which one you prefer.

Thanks.

John

John,

I once made a comparison of the old (pre Swarobright coatings) 7x42 SLC, 7x42 Leica Trinovid and Leica Ultravid in a photo shop viewing at black photo equipment bags in dim light putting my attention on visible details I could saw of the material´s textures. The three were differing in sharpness and brightness under this low contrast circumstances. The order of best view was that (> means better than):
Swaro<Leica Trinovid<Leica Ultravid.

The difference in respect of sharpness and resolved details between the Swaro and the Trinovid was more noticable than the one between both Leicas. I assume that a Swaro with Swarobright coatings would perform quite better and come close to the Leica Ultravid in such a contest. I also assume after getting some experiences with other binoculars of Leica and Swarovski that the step ahead in respect of optical quality because of introducted new dielectrical prism coatings was bigger for Swarovski than it was for Leica.

Steve

John Traynor said:
Chris,

John

Hi John,

Bear in mind this is being done from memory, because the Ultravids were sent back in favour of the Swarobright SLCs...

In terms of absolute brightness, the U'vids won, hands down. But sharpness was something else. The central 50% of the Ultravids was impressive, but it fell away too quickly for me (I prefer the full-width sharpness of the HGs) and the outer anti "funhouse" effect (pincushion distortion by any other name!) was unacceptble to me. The pre-Swarobright SLCs do have a slight green cast, but their overall field sharpness was more to my taste (7x42s are for poor light wildlife watching). In terms of ergonomics, I find the SLCs fit MY hands better than the U'vids (the raised thumb rests are simply in the wrong place for me); the focussing is smoother on the SLC.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back