• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rallidae (2 Viewers)

Olson wrote in 1975:

The South Pacific Gallinules of the Genus Pareudiastes​

Storrs L Olson
Published in The Wilson Bulletin, in 1975, in volume 87, issue 1, pages 1-5

The genus Pareudiastes might therefore be regarded as a relict group occupying a position that is morphologically and perhaps phylogenetically intermediate between Gallinula and Porphyrio.

Until now I've found no current study that explains why Pareudiastes is a synonym of Gallinula.

Lot of changes in Laterallini

If anyone can download it
As an aside: please can you post a fuller citation when you find a new paper? It makes it easier to search threads.

Depino, E. A., Pérez-Emán, J. L., Bonaccorso, E., & Areta, J. I. (2023). Evolutionary history of New World crakes (Aves: Rallidae) with emphasis on the tribe Laterallini. Zoologica Scripta, 00, 1– 19. https://doi.org/10.1111/zsc.12595

Also, some support for lumping Rusty-flanked and Rufous-sided Crakes, and splitting up the Black Rail complex, or at least recognizing the Junin Rail as a distinct species.

Also, some support for lumping Rusty-flanked and Rufous-sided Crakes, and splitting up the Black Rail complex, or at least recognizing the Junin Rail as a distinct species.
No samples of other South American "Black Rails", so tuerosi could well still be part of salinasi.

Im hoping that Jim LeNomenclatoriste will know as he read Google Scholar . which discussed Yellow Rail as evidenced by:
Proposition d'une nouvelle classification de la famille des Rallidés (râles, foulques, gallinules, etc.) | Ornithomedia.com .

Thanks to share my article MB 😁 Obviously, I had to summarize the classification of this family with the studies already published, and I'm too lazy to ask David to edit the article to include the new study (a lot of "to" in this sentence)

Last edited:

Amaurornis phoenicurus leucocephalus Abdulali, 1964 (Gruiformes: Rallidae) from Car Nicobar Island, Bay of Bengal, India is a valid subspecies

Amaurornis phoenicurus leucocephalus Abdulali, 1964 (Gruiformes: Rallidae) from Car Nicobar Island, Bay of Bengal, India is a valid subspecies | Zootaxa .
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/partpdf/151883 .
IOC 13.2 lists this subspecies citing Abdulali 1979 as source.
The Birds of Great and Car Nicobars with Some Notes on Wildlife Conservation in the Islands : H Abdulali : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive . And accept based on Taylor 1996 and Rasmussen Anderton 2012.

Last edited:
The provenance of the only known egg of the extinct Tristan Moorhen Gallinula nesiotis

Abstract

Tristan Moorhen Gallinula nesiotis is a rail from Tristan da Cunha in the South Atlantic Ocean that probably went extinct around 1874. Here, we describe the only known egg of the species, its history, and confusion surrounding its attribution. It was probably collected by (or given to) Revd. W. F. Taylor sometime between 1851 and 1856, shipped aboard HMS Frolic in 1856, and presented as a gift to Lady Eliza Lucy Grey, wife of Cape Colony Governor Sir George Grey.

Attachments

• mec17227-fig-0004-m.jpg
    mec17227-fig-0004-m.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back