• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rallidae (1 Viewer)

I'm only missing Canirallus

In case you missed it, Canirallus was included in Boast et al (2019) and positioned as sister to a larger group including Amaurolimnas/Aramides/Neocrex/Pardirallus.

Boast et al (2019) 'Mitochondrial Genomes from New Zealand’s Extinct Adzebills (Aves: Aptornithidae: Aptornis) Support a Sister-Taxon Relationship with the Afro-Madagascan Sarothruridae'

In case you missed it, Canirallus was included in Boast et al (2019) and positioned as sister to a larger group including Amaurolimnas/Aramides/Neocrex/Pardirallus.

Boast et al (2019) 'Mitochondrial Genomes from New Zealand’s Extinct Adzebills (Aves: Aptornithidae: Aptornis) Support a Sister-Taxon Relationship with the Afro-Madagascan Sarothruridae'
Thanks! On another note, does anyone get how the Nkulengu Rail could be sister to Megacrex in the García-R 2014 ("Our results strongly indicate the placement of H. haematopus within core rails") and in this one sister to the whole family? Wrongly labeled specimens?

They have Gallirallus woodfordi as sister to Gallirallus poecilopterus (within a larger group including most traditional Gallirallus), and Gallirallus immaculatus as sister to Aramidopsis plateni (within a group including Dryolimnas/Lewinia/Rallus madagascariensis/Crex).

There is no mention of tertius or the un-named Malaita form.
Thanks, hard to interpret from the tree if their "Gallirallus woodfordi" is "Gallirallus woodfordi woodfordi" or "Gallirallus woodfordi tertius" samples or both? Hopefully some complimentary information will be published.

Is Limnocorax masculine or feminine ?Should I write Limnocorax atra or ater?
I haven't seen the OD of Limnocorax but A Review of the Old World Ballinæ by Witmer Stone (1894, Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 46: 130–149) may help as, on page 147, he places just one species in the genus Limnocorax, as L. niger. In addition, the type species of the genus was L. capensis.

Is Limnocorax masculine or feminine ?Should I write Limnocorax atra or ater?

In my notes, I have:

Limnocorax Peters 1854​
OD: Peters 1854. [Über Limnocorax, eine unter den Wasserhühnern abzusondernde neue Gattung und die zu ihr gehörigen Arten.] Ber. Bekanntmacht. Verhandl. K. Preuss. Akad. Wiss. Berlin, Jahre 1854: 187-188.​
page: 187​
Included species: Limnocorax capensis (syn. nigra), L. senegalensis (syn. flavirostra), L. mossambicus
Type: Gallinula flavirostra Swainson 1837​
Fixation by: subsequent designation​
Fixation in: Gray GR. 1855. Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. British Museum, London.​
page: 151​
OD of type: Swainson W. 1837. Birds of Western Africa. [2nd part.] Ornithology. Vol. VIII. In: Jardine W [ed]. The naturalist's library. WH Lizars, Edinburgh.​
page: 244​
Note: Gray misspelled the type species name ‘flavirostris’ in the designation. (This does not affect the validity of the designation.) Peters 1934 https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/14482995 claimed a type fixation by monotypy of "Rallus niger Gmelin (not of J. F. Miller) = Gallinula flavirostra Swainson.”​
Available: yes​
Family: Rallidae​

corax, -acis (Latin) = κόραξ, -ακος (Greek) = raven.
Limnocorax was indicated in the OD as "ex λίμνη et κόραξ", thus as formed from the Greek version -- this matters little, however, as the word is exclusively masculine in both languages. Limnocorax was originally treated as masculine, being combined in the OD with the masculine adjective mossambicus.

Last edited:
In my notes, I have:

Limnocorax Peters 1854​
OD: Peters 1854. [Über Limnocorax, eine unter den Wasserhühnern abzusondernde neue Gattung und die zu ihr gehörigen Arten.] Ber. Bekanntmacht. Verhandl. K. Preuss. Akad. Wiss. Berlin, Jahre 1854: 187-188.​
page: 187​
Included species: Limnocorax capensis (syn. nigra), L. senegalensis (syn. flavirostra), L. mossambicus
Type: Gallinula flavirostra Swainson 1837​
Fixation by: subsequent designation​
Fixation in: Gray GR. 1855. Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. British Museum, London.​
page: 151​
OD of type: Swainson W. 1837. Birds of Western Africa. [2nd part.] Ornithology. Vol. VIII. In: Jardine W [ed]. The naturalist's library. WH Lizars, Edinburgh.​
page: 244​
Note: Gray misspelled the type species name ‘flavirostris’ in the designation. (This does not affect the validity of the designation.) Peters 1934 https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/14482995 claimed a type fixation by monotypy of "Rallus niger Gmelin (not of J. F. Miller) = Gallinula flavirostra Swainson.”​
Available: yes​
Family: Rallidae​

corax, -acis (Latin) = κόραξ, -ακος (Greek) = raven.
Limnocorax was indicated in the OD as "ex λίμνῃ et κόραξ", thus as formed from the Greek version -- this matters little, however, as the word is exclusively masculine in both languages. It was originally treated as masculine, being combined in the OD with the masculine adjective mossambicus.
Thanks for the explanation. If I follow you, I should write ater and niger

Himantornithinae deserve a family status as Himantornithidae

Might be interesting to get an answer to this first:
Thanks! On another note, does anyone get how the Nkulengu Rail could be sister to Megacrex in the García-R 2014 ("Our results strongly indicate the placement of H. haematopus within core rails") and in this one sister to the whole family? Wrongly labeled specimens?

It's unfortunate that they didn't include Porphyrio flavirostris in their analyzes, it will have allowed me to know if it was justified to separate Porphyrula from Porphyrio

How do you tell Cornell that there is a mispelling in the name Mentocrex, which is written "Mentrocrex" ?
The misspelling comes from Clements, which the entire Cornell "galaxy" follows.
As I understand things, Clements will in principle remain unchanged (even if a glaring error is spotted) outside of its periodical "updates" (which used to occur yearly in July/August, albeit there was none last year -- see this and this).

The misspelling comes from Clements, which the entire Cornell "galaxy" follows.
As I understand things, Clements will in principle remain unchanged (even if a glaring error is spotted) outside of its periodical "updates" (which used to occur yearly in July/August, albeit there was none last year -- see this and this).
Ok, that explains some oddities in their taxonomy.

Clements doesn't provide a multilingual list like IOC does?

Ok, that explains some oddities in their taxonomy.

Clements doesn't provide a multilingual list like IOC does?
It does- 84 sets of names.

... though unfortunately many of these are partial (limited to species found where the language is commonly spoken), whereas IOC has full translations.

How do you tell Cornell that there is a mispelling in the name Mentocrex, which is written "Mentrocrex" ?

There's a page on the Clements website here: Contact | Clements Checklist which has an address through which you can contact them with that sort of information. It does work, I've used it in the past. But I think it's very likely that they have already heard about that error; I would expect it to be fixed in their 2021 release, whenever that might happen.

There's a page on the Clements website here: Contact | Clements Checklist which has an address through which you can contact them with that sort of information. It does work, I've used it in the past. But I think it's very likely that they have already heard about that error; I would expect it to be fixed in their 2021 release, whenever that might happen.
They are already aware, and this is fixed in the 2021 taxonomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back