• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor smuggled into Bangladesh (1 Viewer)

pthompson

Could anyone please help identify this raptor which was in a consignment confiscated by the wildlife crime unit in Bangladesh, so we can pass on information to the authorities. I only have S Asia fieldguide with me, which of course can't help with it. Sorry no other photos provided. I would guess it might be a Latin American species (I wondered about immature caracara sp or a buteo relative) and have not been able to figure it out. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• smuggledraptor-photo-1669600926.1.jpg
    smuggledraptor-photo-1669600926.1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 71
Welcome to BF.
Doesn't strike me as a bateleur - head-feathering would normally look extravagant/weird. Maybe Harris's hawk. Would help a lot to see more of the bird: underbody, tail-pattern, etc.

looks like a juv bateleur
Many thanks for the replies received. We asked but unfortunately the people involved didn't supply photos of other angles. Bateleur seems quite possible, while Harris's Hawk (which has been imported in the past) was a species I considered. We will see if we can get any information on its tail!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back