• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare bird news for Florida (3 Viewers)

A White-tailed Tropicbird was seen very well approximately 70 miles offshore from a private fishing vessel operating out of Ponce Inlet. Band-rumped Storm Petrel, Arctic Tern, Bridled Tern and Audubon's Shearwater were also spotted.

For those who might know how to ID these...I tracked down a different looking mockingbird on Saturday...it appeared a bit larger than normal, and seemed to have quite a bit of brown on its sides. Also, when it flew, I didn't notice any white barring underwing. By all descriptions I've seen, this could be a Bahama mockingbird. I unfortunately didn't get any wonderful shots of it...but did get one - you can't see much of the body or the outstretched wings, but maybe those of you who really know your stuff can find something else to help ID this one, as I'd like to know if it was a Bahama or not:

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/135135015/original.jpg

It was at Gumbo Limbo in Boca Raton, out in the mangrove trees near the intercoastal.

A nice find Justin, well done! It seems quite a few Bahama Mockingbirds decided to visit Florida this spring. Let's hope they stay and breed, that would be exciting.

A Tropical Kingbird was found by Cameron Cox in Hillsborough County today. Directions as follows: From Cockroach Bay Road turn right onto Gulf City Rd, follow GCR north and then east as it makes a 90 deg turn, 250-300 yards beyond the 90 there is a pink brick house with green shingles on the right, and just beyond the house is the intersection of GCR and Mammoth Trail. The bird has been hanging out across the street from the pink brick house and moves around from around the house down to Mammoth Trail.

Click on the link below for pictures of the kingbird taken by Dan Irizarry.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danirizarry/sets/72157626883861136/with/5797360784/

Andy, can we really consider Bronzed Cowbird a 'rarity'? They are regular in small numbers year around in Miami-Dade. I've had at least three just in the past week.

Carlos

Andy, can we really consider Bronzed Cowbird a 'rarity'? They are regular in small numbers year around in Miami-Dade. I've had at least three just in the past week.

Carlos

Tallahassee is 450 miles away from Miami! White-faced Ibis are more common up here! There have probably been less than 10 records in the big bend, eastern panhandle since I moved to Tallahassee in 04. So I think they qualify as a rarity, at least up here.

A Yellow-green Vireo was seen today in Pensacola. Directions as follows

The area is on Pensacola Beach on the road to Ft. Pickens. Turn right into
Villa Sabine (before the convenience store), and follow that street north and
east until you get to the sign directing you to the Environmental Protection
Agency lab. You cannot cross the "causeway" to the lab. Park on the side of the road. The yard with the vireo is full of live oaks (east side of the road) and
has a waterfall / stream feature. The vireo was high in the oaks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back