• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for scopes c£600? (1 Viewer)

Pete Mella

Getting there...
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my MM2 soon, and I reckon I'll have a budget of about £600 (inc eyepiece). Has anyone got any recommendations in that price range (or indeed slightly cheaper)? My only real issues are that it must be good for specs-wearers.

Hi Pete,
I used to have Opticron GS 665 ED with SDL zoom. Good scope. Very nice view and lightweight. I wear specs and had no problems.
You can get it for £580 and a free Opticron tripod too. Google it coz I can't remember which shop was doing that deal. It was a Welsh one. I think it may have been with HDF zoom as part of that deal but I think there is very little difference between the two zooms.
What eyepiece do you have on your MM. Will it fit the GS665?
I would like to try Celestron Regal F-Ed65 as it has good opinions of ot on BF. It's only £390 but at around 1700g it is a lot heavier than GS665 which i think is about 1300g.

Happy hunting and hope you find what suits you best.
Martin.

Opticron ES80ED with HDF zoom is also a good combo. From what I have read (though don't take my word on it) it is more robust than the GS range and with the 80mm objective you'll get a brighter, sharper image. It's a very popular scope - supposed to be Opticron's best seller (I was an owner until recently). 'In Focus' have been doing this scope and eyepiece, with stay on case and tripod for £599. Certainly worth a look.

Cheers for the tips, I'll definitely give those a test drive and that In Focus deal definitely looks worth looking at (although I'm 6 months away from having the funds...).

Also looking at the Nikon ED50, as a travel scope is tempting and the reviews seem to be very positive.

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my MM2 soon, and I reckon I'll have a budget of about £600 (inc eyepiece). Has anyone got any recommendations in that price range (or indeed slightly cheaper)? My only real issues are that it must be good for specs-wearers.

you may also have a look at this related thread:

planning on buying my first scope, HELP!!!!!!

maybe there is something useful in it.
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back