• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-breasted geese at Minsmere (1 Viewer)

David99

On sunday I took myself to Minsmere to see the Glossy Ibis:t:. As a bonus there were a couple of red-breasted geese on the East Scrape. Now what surprises me is that I thought these geese were rare migrants and I am surprised there is no mention of them on the alerts or the forums. Is that because they are suspected escapees? Or have they been around so long that every one (apart from me) knew all about them and has seen them long ago, or are they not aas rare as I thought?

There was also a Cape Shelduck near them, but I do know that it was an escape.

Would be interested in your views.

Last edited:
On sunday I took myself to Minsmere to see the Glossy Ibis:t:. As a bonus there were a couple of red-breasted geese on the East Scrape. Now what surprises me is that I thought these geese were rare migrants and I am surprised there is no mention of them on the alerts or the forums. Is that because they are suspected escapees? Or have they been around so long that every one (apart from me) knew all about them and has seen them long ago, or are they not aas rare as I thought?

There was also a Cape Shelduck near them, but I do know that it was an escape.

Would be interested in your views.

Escapes I'm afraid for the reasons Hotspur outlined - had 4 on Monday by Lucky Pool, not sure how long they've been around or where they've escaped from, would be interesting to know.

Joseph

Escapes I'm afraid for the reasons Hotspur outlined - had 4 on Monday by Lucky Pool, not sure how long they've been around or where they've escaped from, would be interesting to know.

Joseph

They've been around a while I believe; Birdguides details escaped/feral birds in the area back to 2000 at least. Two have been reported together on several occasions since 2006 and they apparently bred in Suffolk in 2010 - up to 5 were together in late 2010 (2 ads, 3 juvs). I'm not sure about breeding in 2011 - maybe local birders can advise further on this?
I wonder if the lost juvenile Red-breasted Goose with Greylags and Canadas at Scaling Dam at the moment is one of the Suffolk off-spring?

Mark

They've been around a while I believe; Birdguides details escaped/feral birds in the area back to 2000 at least. Two have been reported together on several occasions since 2006 and they apparently bred in Suffolk in 2010 - up to 5 were together in late 2010 (2 ads, 3 juvs). I'm not sure about breeding in 2011 - maybe local birders can advise further on this?
I wonder if the lost juvenile Red-breasted Goose with Greylags and Canadas at Scaling Dam at the moment is one of the Suffolk off-spring?

Mark

Thanks for this info Mark, very interesting stuff, particularly the breeding you mentioned. Interesting thought, potentially possible that some Red-breasted Geese that have turned up in other parts of the country this year are the offspring of the breeding birds in Suffolk last year on that basis (e.g Vane Farm bird in April etc) . Would be very interesting to hear if they've bred in Suffolk this year.

Joseph

Interesting thought, potentially possible that some Red-breasted Geese that have turned up in other parts of the country this year are the offspring of the breeding birds in Suffolk last year on that basis (e.g Vane Farm bird in April etc),
Joseph

Presumably the Vane Farm bird was the one with Pinks in Lancs, and whilst unknown origin might be a fair summary that has been accepted by the BBRC.

Stephen

Never mind, still good to see some even if you can't tick them though.

Still gets me when people talk about Ibises in this country... they're just so exotic. Scrolls my nerd a bit. Even though it's an escapee, when I saw the Greater Flamingo at Minsmere it was the same, especially with it stalking amongst the Barnacle Geese. Brain... just... can't... handle... input... BANG! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back