• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kite (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Morning everyone hope your all well & coping. Watching wildlife really keeps your pecker up!!. Yesterday was a cracker of a start to the new year with my 1st ever sighting of a Red kite that circled my house in the Rawmarsh area of Rotherham & was there for nearly 2 hours at rooftop height, it was marvellous. The crows mobbed it once & it still came back. 1st ever sighting in a built up area for me. There is light at the end of the tunnel, you just need to look to the skies!!! So if you’re in the rawmarsh area just keep an eye on the sky, it might call back. Happy days

sean

Just a quick update, I have seen it again flying towards abdy woods area, I also read that they are communal roosters, so we might see more eventually. I keep fingers crossed that they are left alone & that certain people don’t shoot/poison/trap them. They are magnificent birds 🦅. Over n out

sean

Mmmmm.... nice one Sean. I'm a bit surprised they've taken so long to find you though, as I think there was a release area near Leeds on a big estate (the name of which escapes me for the moment).

Sadly that wasn't running when I worked in the area so didn't see any myself back in the '70s.

But, yes, a brilliant way to start the New Year - well done laddie.

I live in hopes of a house/garden tick here..... maybe..... one day!!

I think they had a release programme at Harewood house. I only saw it for 3 days from morning to late afternoon & not seen it since. I’m getting lots & lots of goldfinch though (Charm of Finches). I can’t top feeders up quick enough. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Just a thought though, where’s all the greenfinch, I know about tricomonosis disease but it don’t affect other finches????
See you laters, alligators

I think they had a release programme at Harewood house. I only saw it for 3 days from morning to late afternoon & not seen it since. I’m getting lots & lots of goldfinch though (Charm of Finches). I can’t top feeders up quick enough. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Just a thought though, where’s all the greenfinch, I know about tricomonosis disease but it don’t affect other finches????
See you laters, alligators
Oh yes, of course, Harewood!!!

I have a similar problem with Greenfinches. Though I saw one or two near our river back in the early days of the first lock down, then a few weeks ago on a feeder in my neighbour's garden. Prior to that I'd not seen/heard one round here for about 5 years.

Oh yes, of course, Harewood!!!

I have a similar problem with Greenfinches. Though I saw one or two near our river back in the early days of the first lock down, then a few weeks ago on a feeder in my neighbour's garden. Prior to that I'd not seen/heard one round here for about 5 years.
Morning Delia, I haven’t seen a greenfinch where I live for years. I do hope they’re making a comeback. Hope your keeping well & safe..

sean

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back