• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Shouldered Hawk help (1 Viewer)

mrmike

I've been asked to photograph a Red Shouldered Hawk. They are scarce in Ontario from what I've learned. I did some research and picked a location to start. Before I went out there I familiarized myself with their calls. To my delight I got a screeching territorial call when myself and a friend were walking through the nature reserve I had chosen. The call was 100% a Red Shouldered Hawk call. I only caught a glimpse through the bare trees and then he was gone. I've since been back once. I situated myself before the sun came up and brought a "mouse in distress" call to hopefully entice him from hiding. No luck. Nothing. I am asking for advice on bringing this hawk out from hiding. I thought about using the same call from another Red Shouldered hawk but wasn't sure if I'd be distressing this bird especially since it's mating season. I wouldn't want to jeopardize any mating that may be happening. This is an 82 acre area of deciduous forest and swampland. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike.

This is probably the worst time of year to try and bait them out as this is their breeding time. I myself have recently noticed because of their trying to feed their young, I hear and see them out and about more than ever now. I think if you just pick a spot and hunker down, you will hear and see them with little trouble but I'd hold off on the any calls for any bird during the breeding season. Just my 2 cents though.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back