• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Tail Hawk is stalking my 8 week old goat kid (1 Viewer)

skybloo4u

Earlier this year I had 30 meat chicks in small paddock with my horse. They were confined in a predator proof area of a small barn overnight but during the day I would let them out to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air... within short order a pair of red tail hawks honed in and took out 6 over three days. I moved them about 1500' away into an old cement silo with a missing roof. I thought it would be perfect well two days later I was down another 4 birds. So I moved them about 300' from the silo into a paddock with my ten completely free range laying hens, 8 completely free range pullets, 3 completely free range guinea keets, and goat and her (at the time) 4 week old kid. Never saw the hawks again. Well now I'm weaning the goat kid so I moved her over to the paddock with my horse and the hawks are back and watching her. She probably weighs around 35 pounds. Do I need to worry they will try and injure her to come back later??? Thanks!

Hi,

I wouldn't think you've got anything to worry about. Birds of that size would only be after much smaller prey. The chicks would be an ideal size for them, but the kid would be much too big and powerful for them to tackle. It may be that the hawks have been away from the area raising their young and are now back in the area, knowing there's an easy food source (the chicks). Red-tailed Hawks will eat a wide range of prey items, including carrion, so they may just be hanging around in anticipation of an easy meal.

Cheers.

Hi, I wouldn't think you've got anything to worry about. Birds of that size would only be after much smaller prey. The chicks would be an ideal size for them, but the kid would be much too big and powerful for them to tackle. It may be that the hawks have been away from the area raising their young and are now back in the area, knowing there's an easy food source (the chicks). Red-tailed Hawks will eat a wide range of prey items, including carrion, so they may just be hanging around in anticipation of an easy meal. Cheers.

Just don't take a snooze in the shade, skybloo....:eek!:
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back