• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-Tailed Hawk? (1 Viewer)

Hi Guys,
I was out birding this morning in and around Mansfield, Ohio, USA and got a couple of decent photos of what I believe to be (juvenile?) Red-Tailed Hawks. Can anyone confirm that this is what they are? Or tell me what they are if they're not Redtails? The one perched on the antenna had downy-looking feathers under it's tail, although you can't see it in the photo. They were both pretty vocal, but didn't make the KEE-yaaaaaaa call that I'm familiar with. They just sort of sounded like a rusty gate swinging in the wind, squeak squeak squeak... They flew around with each other for a little while, having a little mock battle in mid-air a couple of times. Very white upper chest, streaked below. In flight, they appeared almost totally white underneath. Never got a look at the backside of the tail feathers, but the underside was lightly barred. Thanks for any clarification you can provide.
Cheers,
Brian

Attachments

• Red-Tailed-Hawk-1.jpg
    Red-Tailed-Hawk-1.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Red-Tailed-Hawk-2.jpg
    Red-Tailed-Hawk-2.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I agree that they are Red-taileds. It's a little hard to confirm that they are juveniles, because the tail is the best mark for this and the tails on these birds don't show very well.

Thanks Guys,
I'm still very new at this whole birding thing, and it's harder than I thought it would be identifying all the different species! I imagined the birds would be more cooperative, LOL! Oh well, if it was easy, it wouldn't be near as much fun, would it?
Cheers,
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back