• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Result after cleaning binoculars: normal or not normal? (1 Viewer)

I have some I have never cleaned! Some just a hit or two from canned air. If really dirty I just clean under the faucet then a hit or two from canned air.
There are many places in the world where you definitely need to clean your lenses regularly. Just use your bins on a seawatch with onshore winds for instance.

BTW, be careful with canned air. You can get some nasty stuff on your lenses if you're not careful. There's a reason why most photographers just use a blower.

Hermann

I clean all my lenses very carefully without pressure, in the following order:
1 blower
2 brush-to dislodge glued dust particles
3 blower-again
3 breathe
4 Lenspen
5 :love:

I olso noticed the effectiveness of the protective layers, like Lotutec, Aquadura or Swarodur, which provide an easier and less often wipe than the simple ones.

Last edited:
Hi, unless the lenses are water repellent, I always have this terrible result after cleaning my lenses (see photo attached).

I use brush and then professional liquid applied on a microfiber cloth. Do you have the same result?

It looks like all stains and smears are gone but the liquid leaves a mark after evaporating.
I have no idea if it degrades the image quality.

I tried different ways: liquid straight on the lenses, liquid on the cloth, small quantity, big quantity, let it dry by evaporation, drying it by using dry parts of the microfiber cloth, nothing works. I also cleaned my microfiber cloth in hot water, in case it would have absorbed oils (I haven't used any detergent though as mines are not gentle to fabric).

Any advice? Maybe it's normal and it doesn't impact the image quality.

Thanks.
Happens to me all the time when I use Swarovski optik cleaning liquid. It is little better if I use generic lens wipes from Walmart. I also use professional grade foam tip that are used for lens cleaning by manufacturers.

Hi,

my way to clean (apart from cleaning very sparingly) is to use lots of cleaning liquid (optics cleaner or just isoprop), rub very gently with a clean microfiber cloth and then dab off the excess fluid with the dry end of the microfiber cloth...

Joachim
I clean binoculars by holding them under the faucet, from which just a thread of water comes. This removes the dust/grit. Then, I gently touch with my finger a bar of Marseille soap, and very gently touch the lens with my finger. Under the faucet again then it goes. I don't dry the lens; I let the Acquadura or similar coatings repel the water, and simply let it dry. The results are impeccable.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back